Seriously No Politics ×

Revised Gospel Principals Manual

David T

gp09.jpg

Gospel Principles (2009)

EDIT: (September 8 : The Entire list of Changes in MS Word .doc format here

EDIT: (august 6) Starting on post #155 of this thread, I've started documenting the changes in each chapter. Click ahead to skip the speculation, and see what actually has or has not changed in these chapters:

Chapter 1: Our Heavenly Father

Chapter 2: Our Heavenly Family

Chapter 3: Jesus Christ, Our Chosen Leader and Savior

Chapter 4: Freedom to Choose

Chapter 5: The Creation

Chapter 6: The Fall of Adam and Eve

Chapter 7: The Holy Ghost

Chapter 8: Praying to Our Heavenly Father

Chapter 9: Prophets of God

Chapter 10: Scriptures

Chapter 11: The Life of Christ

Chapter 12: The Atonement

Chapter 13: The Priesthood

Chapter 14: Priesthood Organization

Chapter 15: The Lord's Covenant People

Chapter 16: The Church of Jesus Christ in Former Times

Chapter 17: The Church of Jesus Christ Today

Chapter 18: Faith in Jesus Christ

Chapter 19: Repentance

Chapter 20: Baptism

Chapter 21: The Gift of the Holy Ghost

Chapter 22: The Gifts of the Spirit

Chapter 23: The Sacrament

Chapter 24: The Sabbath Day

Chapter 25: Fasting

Chapter 26: Sacrifice

Chapter 27: Work and Personal Responsibility

Chapter 28: Service

Chapter 29: The Lord's Law of Health

Chapter 30: Charity

Chapter 31: Honesty

Chapter 32: Tithes and Offerings

Chapter 33: Missionary Work

Chapter 34: Developing Our Talents

Chapter 35: Obedience

Chapter 36: The Family Can Be Eternal

Chapter 37: Family Responsibilities

Chapter 38: Eternal Marriage

Chapter 39: The Law of Chastity

Chapter 40: Temple Work and Family History

Here, chapters were rearranged:

Chapter 41:The Postmortal Spirit World (was Chapter 45 in 1997 edition)

Chapter 42: The Gathering of the House of Israel

Chapter 43: Signs of the Second Coming (was Chapter 41 in 1997 edition)

Chapter 44: The Second Coming of Jesus Christ (was Chapter 43 in 1997 edition)

Chapter 45: The Millennium (was Chapter 44 in 1997 edition)

Chapter 46: The Final Judgment

Chapter 47: Exaltation

Had not heard a word about it - but being I am the 2&3rd week instructor for EQ (currently) I am looking forward to it (anything to get out of the Joseph Smith manual -- ugh!)

This book provides an overview of gospel principles. It was revised in 2009. It is used for personal study and for the Gospel Principles class during Sunday School. In 2010 and 2011 it will be used for Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society instruction on the second and third Sundays of each month.

I just checked in the Sunday School section of LDS.org and its not online yet, they still have the older version.

$20 says deification doctrine is further dumbed down.

I cover that and raise you $200. And I do not gamble.

$20 says deification doctrine is further dumbed down.

This is the chapter from the old manual. What part seems "dumbed down" to you? It seems pretty clear to me:

Chapter 47: Exaltation

Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, â??All things are theirsâ? (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people:

1. They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76).

2. They will become gods.

3. They will have their righteous family members with them and will be able to have spirit children also. These spirit children will have the same relationship to them as we do to our Heavenly Father. They will be an eternal family.

4. They will receive a fulness of joy.

5. They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ haveâ??all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge. President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: â??The Father has promised through the Son that all that he has shall be given to those who are obedient to his commandments. They shall increase in knowledge, wisdom, and power, going from grace to grace, until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon themâ? (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:36).

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: â??When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospelâ??you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the graveâ? (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 348).

This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: â??It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. â?¦ He was once a man like us; â?¦ God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself didâ? (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345â??46).

One reason I like this book, is because it is the closest thing the Church has to a Catechism, or systematic explaining of the essentials of LDS Doctrine, taught not in an apologetic manner, but clear and straightforward, that the most unlearned individual, after reading this book, could easily be able to understand and find context in the core doctrine of the church, and its relation to the commandments and ordinances. Very much looking forward to an updated edition.

This is the last remnant of any deification doctrine in any official church publications. It's plain, but not stated as forcefully as many would like.

Really?

Does it get more forceful than that? Should it say "They will really, really become gods"?

This is the last remnant of any deification doctrine in any official church publications. It's plain, but not stated as forcefully as many would like.

Methinks you have more reading to do, robuchan. Your ignorance betrays you, my friend. The newest manual, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, talks about God being a man, and man becoming gods, several explicit times. While it enters no rigorous ontological or metaphysical discussion on the subject, the words are all there, and quite explicit. In other words, this comment of yours is akin to me claiming that Huck Finn never mentions any rafting on the river. It shows little more than sheer ignorance. Oops! ;):P

Really?

Does it get more forceful than that? Should it say "They will really, really become gods"?

No reason to be coy. You know what I mean. Lower case gods could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. You could reject pretty much all of King Follet and still be in line doctrinally with the Gospel Principles Manual.

20 bucks says folks will be whining about it/making fun of it before it even hits the shelves.

I'm guessing Coolrock7 already has one and is actively engaged in quote-mining for more "ammunition" and doing a "comparison" of the old and new to identify "important" differences between the two manuals ("scare" quotes used purposely as a result of another thread involving Coolrok).

I'm guessing Coolrock7 already has one and is actively engaged in quote-mining for more "ammunition" and doing a "comparison" of the old and new to identify "important" differences between the two manuals ("scare" quotes used purposely as a result of another thread involving Coolrok).

hehe, coolpaste is probably as excited as anyone about this new development!

EbedInclusion.png

You it find not forceful enough? The following seems more than adequate to me.

How would you have it stated to make it more forceful. This enquiring mind wants to know.

Hmmm....maybe I should go look for that old thread we did a pretty detailed analysis on one of the issues....deification, IIRC.

Archived