Seriously No Politics ×

The Arrival: a letter and book from an apostle

David Waltz

On June 29, 2009, I received in the mail, quite unexpectedly, a letter and book from one of the apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those who may be interested in the details, see this thread:

http://articulifidei.blogspot.com/2009/07/...om-apostle.html

Grace and peace,

David

On June 29, 2009, I received in the mail, quite unexpectedly, a letter and book from one of the apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those who may be interested in the details, see this thread:

http://articulifidei.blogspot.com/2009/07/...om-apostle.html

Grace and peace,

David

Hi Dave,

Here is what DeseretBook.com says about Elder Ballard's book:

In this, the most recent addition to the approved missionary personal library, Elder M. Russell Ballard explains the Church and LDS beliefs in a clear and inoffensive way. Elder Ballard discusses the Apostasy, the need for the Restoration, the Book of Mormon, the priesthood, the plan of salvation, the Articles of Faith, the Word of Wisdom, temples, missionary work, and benefits of living the gospel. Through personal experiences he reveals how the gospel has benefited him and concludes by bearing his testimony.

Perhaps you don't want to discuss the book until after your discernment period. Some folks take snap shots of how they look before and after doing a demanding and health promoting physical regimen. It can vividly demonstrate the benefits of the work involved. Would there be any chance that you would care to give a "snap shot" of your thoughts on this book, before you undergo the recommended spiritual exercises?

May God in His boundless mercy, guide you and me and those who are our spiritual wards.

Rory

This is the book I gave out to anyone who wanted to know about our faith, even if they didn't want to see the missionaries (rather especially if they didn't want to see them, lol). I think it is a great intro to our faith....not that David exactly needs one. :P

I hope, David, that this study will yield for you precious fruit, whatever that may be for you.

Hi Rory,You asked the following:

>>Would there be any chance that you would care to give a "snap shot" of your thoughts on this book, before you undergo the recommended spiritual exercises?>>

Donâ??t know exactly how to respond to your question, so the following is basically me thinking out loudâ?¦

Elder Ballardâ??s book is what I would term a â??popularâ?? treatmentâ??I am of the opinion that this type of book can be approached two different ways: first, intellectually; and second, spiritually. Since the book presents some objective elements, the intellectual approach certainly has its place; but the book also presents subjective elements, hence the validity of the second approach.

With that said, do you have any suggestions on the direction (and content) that any pre-spiritual exercise analysis should take?

Grace and peace,

David

That's pretty cool about that letter. Whatever else happens in your life, please keep the letter and that book in a safe place.

If I remember correctly, that book replaced "A Marvelous Work and Wonder" in the missionary library. While that book was hugely outdated in its scholarship, I was always fond of Elder Richards' bold and frank attitude. It was one of the first "doctrinal" books I read as a young teenager.

Are you concerned that a public discussion of what is such a personal and private decision may in some way color the outcome?

With that said, do you have any suggestions on the direction (and content) that any pre-spiritual exercise analysis should take?

My suggestion is forget about analysis. You know enough already. Follow the spirit. That's all you need.

Grace and peace,

David

I agree with mfbukowski. You have already analysed it over and over. It's now time to open up to and trust in the spirit.

I agree with mfbukowski. You have already analysed it over and over. It's now time to open up to and trust in the spirit.

From what David has related, he's made an effort to do this before.

Luckyyyyyy! Elder Ballard never write me letters. :P Seriously, that is way cool.

Elder Ballard's really good about reaching out to people. I was at Ricks College when I heard that a friend went inactive. He happened to be giving the devotional address the day that I found out, so I went to shake his hand afterward and told him about it. He told me to write to him about the situation. I did, and a few days later I received a packet with some articles from the Ensign and a personal letter addressed to my friend, which I then passed on to her.

I don't think my friend went active again, but I have always been very impressed that Elder Ballard would take the time and trouble to respond as he did.

From what David has related, he's made an effort to do this before.

Hi Cris,

You are absolutely correct on thisâ??I have read the BoM 6 times, cover to cover, with 5 of the readings in prayerful reflection. I meet with missionaries from the CoJCoLDS, not to persuade them that they are in some sort of cult, but rather, to learn and dialogue with them.

Anyway, thank you so much for your supportâ??you are, and shall always be to me a dear sister in Christ.

God bless,

David

Can I second the support for Elder Ballard. Elder Ballard heard through the grapevine that my father had an issue. He actually called my father and talked with him.

That an apostle would make this effort in his schedule for people is very impressive.

MD

That's pretty cool about that letter. Whatever else happens in your life, please keep the letter and that book in a safe place.

If I remember correctly, that book replaced "A Marvelous Work and Wonder" in the missionary library. While that book was hugely outdated in its scholarship, I was always fond of Elder Richards' bold and frank attitude. It was one of the first "doctrinal" books I read as a young teenager.

Great story and I remember reading MW and W before I joined the church. A fine book made even better because I got to meet LeGrand Richards on my mission.

Elder L. Tom Perry, in a case very well known to me, showed up unexpectedly on the doorstep of a family where lived a newly-announced teenage atheist -- Elder Perry had a personal connection with neighbors of the family -- and, pointing to his signature at the bottom of the proclamation of the First Presidency and the Twelve on "The Living Christ" that had just appeared that week in the Church News, bore his testimony and called upon the young man to study and reflect upon that proclamation, which he, Elder Perry, knew to be true.

The apostles take their calling as special witnesses very seriously, and I suspect that there is much more of this unglamorous testifying, away from the spotlights, than anybody knows.

Archived