Seriously No Politics ×

David Grant Stewart question

bjw

Anyone on here know what happened to David Grant Stewart? I've tried going onto his website 72 Languages but all I get is a long index list full of scanned Egyptology documents. Apparently he took off all of his Book of Abraham and Book of Mormon articles, unless I'm somehow missing something.

I really liked his articles on the BofA and BoM. He did a good article on the Four Sons of Horus in Facsimile 1 and did a good job showing how the names JS assigned to them were reasonable under an older interpretation of the Egyptian language. I used to think JS stole these names from Exodus 6, but now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone on here know if he's done anymore research or written any additional papers? What about the status of his website 72 Languages? Also, I'm curious as to what some of the apologists here think about his research.

Yes, that's it. You can see how much different the site is now compared to how it is in the web archive. I wonder why he decided to change it. It is some pretty informative stuff on both sites, though.

Yes, that's it. You can see how much different the site is now compared to how it is in the web archive. I wonder why he decided to change it. It is some pretty informative stuff on both sites, though.

Yes, I was looking for his site a couple of months ago and couldn't find all the interesting stuff he had... It would be interesting to know what happened...

The center for all things David Stewart is http://cumorah.com

See http://cumorah.com/index.php?target=ancient_lang_research and http://cumorah.com/index.php?target=doctrinal_articles for language stuff.

His sites have been being re-done. So that's what happened. You could ask Zeeshan Ahmad when or if 72languages is coming back.

It looks like he's staying busy. Thanks for the links, there's a lot of info to read there.

Anyone on here know what happened to David Grant Stewart? I've tried going onto his website 72 Languages but all I get is a long index list full of scanned Egyptology documents. Apparently he took off all of his Book of Abraham and Book of Mormon articles, unless I'm somehow missing something.

I really liked his articles on the BofA and BoM. He did a good article on the Four Sons of Horus in Facsimile 1 and did a good job showing how the names JS assigned to them were reasonable under an older interpretation of the Egyptian language. I used to think JS stole these names from Exodus 6, but now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone on here know if he's done anymore research or written any additional papers? What about the status of his website 72 Languages? Also, I'm curious as to what some of the apologists here think about his research.

I am here. Thank you for your kind remarks. Some of your respondents have confused me with my son Jr. He does the Cumorah site. He kindly created the 72Languages site for me but when he began rewriting my stuff without my knowledge or consent we had a parting of the ways. I never had any control over the site so I was somewhat relieved to find one day that it was no longer there. I can be found by typing my full name in quotes "David Grant Stewart, Sr." on Google. Most of the "David Grant Stewart" hits are also me but a few are my son, an orthopedic surgeon in Nevada. I have no real web site now except a little obscure one at http://languagetranslations.webs.com. The only real interface I have with the world now is on eBay. There I am offering all of my discoveries in the form of little booklets called Ancient Language Discoveries 001 and so on. There are thirty of them, of about 50 pages each. Since no decent dictionary of the scriptures exists, I have also ventured to offer dictionaries of each of the Standard Works on eBay at something less than my cost of producing them [unless I sell an awfully lot, which is unlikely!]. After countless attempts I have given up trying to cut through the bureaucracy of the Church, Deseret Book, and so on. My mother, Ora Pate Stewart, built up Bookcraft with her little dollar books which I helped her with in proofreading and distributing. [she even dedicated one of her books to me because I freed her from time-consuming housework]. But there is no corporate memory there or anywhere else, and she is now forgotten, although Sister Packer paid a nice tribute to her [lds.org]. I send weekly installments of my work to anyone interested each week by e-mail. Right now I am working on completing the JS Grammar and Alphabet of the Egyptian Language, which Joseph wanted to finish but was never permitted to do so, for lack of support from his fellow Church leaders. I scratch out a subsistence for myself and family by translating modern languages commercially, restoring antique clocks, and a few other things. I have been able to prove all of Joseph's translations to be correct, but of course you can't make a living doing that sort of thing, so I do it when I become frustrated enough to override demands on my time and do it anyway. I have discovered that their are countless ancient records which confirm the LDS position but they have never been translated correctly. I do this when I think I can spare the time from more pressing demands. I never can spare the time, but I do it anyway because it needs to be done. There are no Egyptologists who read 1800 BC Egyptian correctly, and I would like to fix this if I had the time. Joseph was right, and the rest of the world was and still is, wrong. Curse me if you will - everybody else does - but it is true.

David Grant Stewart, Sr. 28089 Pine Drive, Evergreen, Colorado 80439. (303) 670-1375. dstewart@amnix.com. P.S. Please forgive me if I have missed any typos. My right hand is partially paralyzed and my left wrist is broken. As you may well suppose, it is very hard for me to type when both hands introduce errors I did not intend. My health is failing, and it remains to be seen whether I can eke out time to finish the work that Joseph so brilliantly started. If you learn nothing else from me, I want you to know that Joseph Smith was the most brilliant person who ever lived, second only to the Savior Himself. Abraham was the third most intelligent, and I would like to live long enough to translate all of his writings, but that is not for me to say. Apologies for this imposition on your time. Thanks to those who created and manage this site. Thank you for indulging me this far.

Curse me if you will - everybody else does....

? I've seen nothing but kind comments about you here. So I'm not sure what type of curses you're referring to.

I briefly scanned the long list of languages from which you translate. I'll certainly keep you in mind for future translation work.

Where do you get the notion from that ain should be GN?

Also, y in Russian is not 'to'. It means 'at' or, archaicly, 'in'.

Acher is NOT the root of Aharon, the chet is not hey.

And I do think your claim that Arabic is Hebrew written with modified hieratic a very bizarre claim.

Where do you get the notion from that ain should be GN?

I can't speak on behalf of Stewart, nor have I read his materials. But I can comment on this topic.

Hebrew and Arabic (and other Semitic languages) had two related sounds, one voiced, the other unvoiced. In Hebrew both were written with the same letter, ayin. In Arabic, they are distinguished only by a dot.

In Hebrew, the voiced version, often written as ghayin or gn or something similar, dropped out of pronunciation, sometime around or post-new Testament, but a good bit before the Masoretes. How do we know this in Hebrew? Comparative Semitic evidence (such as that from Arabic) and Greek transliteration. For example, in Hebrew, Gomorrah is spelled with an ayin, but Greek spells it with an initial g, their attempt to represent the ghayin sound.

It isn't the g I am curious about, but the gn. I have a suspicion, but I'm curious to see what DGS says.

And I believe you mean aleph and ayin.

I don't mean aleph (which was simply a glottal stop) and ayin. I mean ayin and its voiced counterpart ghayin, written with the same letter. Ghayin is sometimes represented in English as gn.

See Joshua Blau, On Polyphony in Biblical Hebrew (Jerusalem: Ahva Press, 1982). More recently, see Richard C. Steiner, "On the Dating of Hebrew Sound Changes and Greek Translations," Journal of Biblical Literature 124, no. 2 (Summer 2005).

See Jo

Archived