New Book: The Second Church: Popular Christianity A.D. 200-400

maklelan

Check it out here. The book consolidates all the known archaeological and textual evidence to reconstruct popular Christianity from 200 - 400 CE. This is basically from the time the New Testament took on roughly the shape it has today (plus or minus a couple books) to about the time the churches were consolidated into an ecumenical body. Apparently a number of heterodox practices were more common then than we previously understood, including rituals concerning veneration of the dead. I think this will be a fascinating read.

Check it out here. The book consolidates all the known archaeological and textual evidence to reconstruct popular Christianity from 200 - 400 CE. This is basically from the time the New Testament took on roughly the shape it has today (plus or minus a couple books) to about the time the churches were consolidated into an ecumenical body. Apparently a number of heterodox practices were more common then than we previously understood, including rituals concerning veneration of the dead. I think this will be a fascinating read.

Interesting. I am currently finishing a Master's Thesis on the fourth century rediscovery of Christian Jerusalem. Sounds like there might be a bit of overlap. I need to grab the book.

Scott26.2

Archived