Crime and prosperity

Doctor Steuss

Last night (in a bout of insomnia) I was watching some late night local news. They said that crime in Nevada has fallen (we went from the top of incarcerated peeps to #14).

This reminded me of something in the BoM where crime follows prosperity (I believe Nibley talks about the BoM phenomena at length in Since Cumorah). To me, it seems that crime would increase when times are tough. If work isnâ??t readily available, then thievery would seem to be a viable alternative to some. When things stink, self-medication with street pharmaceuticals to me would be increased. Yet, the opposite seems to have happened.

Anyone have any insights why crime decreases when times are tough, and increases in times of economic prosperity? Is this something that is nation-wide? They suggested that it was because people werenâ??t going out as much, and because they were staying home, it lessened the chance of them becoming a victim of crime. I suppose that could account for a little, but Vegas was a hot-spot for home invasions for quite some time (so people staying home wouldnâ??t seem to be a major source of crime decrease â?? to me at least).

Thoughts? Insights? Pudding?

I am not sure, but that is pretty interesting. I found this article in the San Diego paper about the same issue.

SanDiego News

And here is a good article talking about it as well.

Heritage

My own personal thoughts are that when times get tough, those that commit crimes usually are busy trying to find means of supporting themselves in other ways. Burgerly for nonessentials wouldn't make as much sense because no one is able to buy what they are stealing and selling. So criminals have to turn to other ways. However the crime rate for money and things will probably go up after awhile since that would be more of an essential. Just my two cents which really aren't worth even that much. :P

Just my two cents which really aren't worth even that much. :P

Your two cents was worth at least three dimes to me... maybe even a dime and a nic.

It makes sense that it wouldnâ??t do you any good to steal something from someone that you are unable to find someone to fence for you. Hadnâ??t really thought of that.

Earlier today I was thinking about the teachings of Buddha, and how according to him essentially all sin can be traced to jealousy. Perhaps another contributing factor is that if your neighbor doesnâ??t have much, there isnâ??t as much to be jealous about. If everyone around has nice cars, and fancy TVs, and blinged-out Pez dispensers, maybe some will resort to any means necessary to gain those same things. Yet when people are eating out of guano bowls, there isnâ??t that same drive towards financial equality.

PS.

I like your face.

PPS.

This (from one of the articles) made me chuckle:

In Imperial Beach, sheriff's Capt. Lisa Miller attributes most of the 50 percent increase in robberies to a rise in beer runs.
If everyone around has nice cars, and fancy TVs, and blinged-out Pez dispensers, maybe some will resort to any means necessary to gain those same things. Yet when people are eating out of guano bowls, there isnâ??t that same drive towards financial equality.

I would be very jealous if I heard you had a blinged-out Pez dispenser. I want one too. I might have to resort to any means necessary to gain one.

On a slightly serious note though, I think your Buddha guy is right, but I also think a lot of crime comes from entertainment purposes and boredom. I mean, how many times in your youth (and possible now) did you do something just for the rise of doing it?

On a slightly serious note though, I think your Buddha guy is right, but I also think a lot of crime comes from entertainment purposes and boredom. I mean, how many times in your youth (and possible now) did you do something just for the rise of doing it?

I'm just grateful the indecent exposure charges were expunged from my permanent record.

Curse my temptress; Boredom is her name!

I would be very jealous if I heard you had a blinged-out Pez dispenser. I want one too. I might have to resort to any means necessary to gain one.

Here are some blinged out Pez dispensers :P

Pez dispensers

Last night (in a bout of insomnia) I was watching some late night local news. They said that crime in Nevada has fallen (we went from the top of incarcerated peeps to #14).

This reminded me of something in the BoM where crime follows prosperity (I believe Nibley talks about the BoM phenomena at length in Since Cumorah). To me, it seems that crime would increase when times are tough. If work isnâ??t readily available, then thievery would seem to be a viable alternative to some. When things stink, self-medication with street pharmaceuticals to me would be increased. Yet, the opposite seems to have happened.

Anyone have any insights why crime decreases when times are tough, and increases in times of economic prosperity? Is this something that is nation-wide? They suggested that it was because people werenâ??t going out as much, and because they were staying home, it lessened the chance of them becoming a victim of crime. I suppose that could account for a little, but Vegas was a hot-spot for home invasions for quite some time (so people staying home wouldnâ??t seem to be a major source of crime decrease â?? to me at least).

i really dont beleive that whomever it was that put that report together is correct' Ever stat i,ve ever heard of in 55 years of living says that divorce,crime e;t;c go,s up' if it is low in nevada, i would say its stricly coincidence. :P

i really dont beleive that whomever it was that put that report together is correct' Ever stat i,ve ever heard of in 55 years of living says that divorce,crime e;t;c go,s up' if it is low in nevada, i would say its stricly coincidence.
My experience is just the opposite.

People in the 30s (Roosevelt's fabricated depression, aka, the "Great" Depression) did not turn to crime to alleviate their want.

The fifties were times of plenty for most, but there were pockets of poverty. People in those pockets did not prey on each other, nor was crime anything like that of the 90s under Clinton.

The two biggest periods of surging crime were Prohibition and the War on Drugs. Neither of these had anything to do with poverty.

Poverty does not cause crime.

Lehi

None of the DOJ data I am familiar with supports that. In fact it is just the opposite.

I'm just grateful the indecent exposure charges were expunged from my permanent record.

Curse my temptress; Boredom is her name!

People commit crimes generally for two reasons. #1 A sense of entitlement #2 A belief they can get away with it. Why did you commit your offense?

None of the DOJ data I am familiar with supports that. In fact it is just the opposite.

For clarification (as there were a few things in my post), what doesn't it support? That the incarceration rate in Nevada is down? Or that crime in general is down? Or both? (Or something else that I've overlooked...?)

For clarification (as there were a few things in my post), what doesn't it support? That the incarceration rate in Nevada is down? Or that crime in general is down? Or both? (Or something else that I've overlooked...?)

DOJ data says that crime goes up when times get hard and employment at the low end suffers. The low end is where the offenders live and work. The first people laid off are the those with menial jobs and few skills.

DOJ data says that crime goes up when times get hard and employment at the low end suffers. The low end is where the offenders live and work. The first people laid off are the those with menial jobs and few skills.

From what I have been reading it appears that the crime rate generally goes down when the economy gets bad, but then increases the longer the economy states bad. We are talking about total economy, not just certain areas though.

Do you happen to have access to what types of crime increase (i.e. robbery, violent offences, drug offences, etc.), or is it generally an increase across the board?

From what I have been reading it appears that the crime rate generally goes down when the economy gets bad, but then increases the longer the economy states bad. We are talking about total economy, not just certain areas though.

Interesting. I guess desperation can bring out the worst in people just as much as prosperation (yep, I made up a word).

Archived