Seriously No Politics ×

Eternal Progression

Russ

Hello:

I'm writing an article on Eternal Progression to include on my website.

Do current members of the LDS church believe that the concept of Eternal Progression includes the belief that Mormon men will become Gods over other planets where they'll procreate spirit-children with a celestial wife (or wives, D&C 132) where said spirit-children will take on tabernacles of flesh and bone (physical bodies) so that they too might inhabit a world where they'll learn and obey various laws and ordiances so that they too might have opportunity to later become Gods in their own right?

May I quote you?

Russ Bales

Hello:

I'm writing an article on Eternal Progression to include on my website.

Do current members of the LDS church believe that the concept of Eternal Progression includes the belief that Mormon men will become Gods over other planets where they'll procreate spirit-children with a celestial wife (or wives, D&C 132) where said spirit-children will take on tabernacles of flesh and bone (physical bodies) so that they too might inhabit a world where they'll learn and obey various laws and ordiances so that they too might have opportunity to later become Gods in their own right?

May I quote you?

Russ Bales

If you're looking for official information, this may not be the place to look - most of the information expressed on this page is just the beliefs and interpretations of individual members and not necessarily that of the LDS church.

If you're looking for official information, this may not be the place to look - most of the information expressed on this page is just the beliefs and interpretations of individual members and not necessarily that of the LDS church.

I think that is what he is looking for, the beliefs of the members.

If it is official mormon doctrine he is looking for, then he needs to go to lds.org and type in "eternal progression" in the search. That will give the best source for what the church teaches.

Every time I hear someone ask that question, it just seems they have a preconcieved notion that when we (mormons) die, we are issued our "god hats", wives, kids, and a coupon good for one planet.

it aint right man, it just aint right.

I think that is what he is looking for, the beliefs of the members.

Yeppers.

No, he's a critic from concerned christians looking to twist the words of the saints. If you go to that board, you can see some of the other things he's written about the LDS.

Don't judge so quickly, please.

Yes, I'm a critic.

No, I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. (But don't hate me.)

I'm looking to get the real deal and I'm looking to get my facts straight.

What do you believe and may I quote you?

Russ you have lost my respect a long time ago on the CARMs board. You are disrespectful and spend your time mocking sacred beliefs. Though you do not believe in the LDS church you spend a lot more time tearing down the LDS church than Christian missionary work for your own faith. You have nothing but pity from me. And yes you can quote me.

PS once you stop showing videos of the temple ceremony mock pics of people in garments I might take you seriously. But at this time why should I answer your question when all you will do with it is use it for your own evil, anti purposes? Pathetic!

If it is official mormon doctrine he is looking for, then he needs to go to lds.org and type in "eternal progression" in the search. That will give the best source for what the church teaches.

Fly,

I just referenced on www.lds.org and found an article that might be useful for Russ. Bruce R. McConkie wrote an article in the 1983 edition of the Liahona, "Christ and the Creation," that you might find useful. There are many other articles there you can research to get a better explanation of the actual beliefs of the LDS Church.

Good Luck, Russ! Thank you for asking where to get a valid source. It is nice to know someone is doing their homework, instead of assuming facts. :P

Russ you have lost my respect a long time ago on the CARMs board. You are disrespectful and spend your time mocking sacred beliefs. Though you do not believe in the LDS church you spend a lot more time tearing down the LDS church than Christian missionary work for your own faith. You have nothing but pity from me. And yes you can quote me.

PS once you stop showing videos of the temple ceremony mock pics of people in garments I might take you seriously. But at this time why should I answer your question when all you will do with it is use it for your own evil, anti purposes? Pathetic!

The demonizing continues.

I'll hold out hope for a response as to LDS beliefs from someone who knows they're up against someone who doesn't believe as they do.

Fly,

I just referenced on www.lds.org and found an article that might be useful for Russ. Bruce R. McConkie wrote an article in the 1983 edition of the Liahona, "Christ and the Creation," that you might find useful. There are many other articles there you can research to get a better explanation of the actual beliefs of the LDS Church.

Good Luck, Russ! Thank you for asking where to get a valid source. It is nice to know someone is doing their homework, instead of assuming facts. :P

Thanks, I'll check it out.

What do you believe?

1. Don't judge so quickly, please.

2. Yes, I'm a critic.

3. No, I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. (But don't hate me.)

4. I'm looking to get the real deal and I'm looking to get my facts straight.

5. What do you believe and may I quote you?

1. I'm not, just calling a spade a spade.

2. That should've been obvious from the way you phrased your insinuations, but I just figured I'd stand for truth and put all information for those interested in replying to your request out there.

3. I don't hate you for not believing in the BoM. I don't hate you. I just have little respect for you, because I've seen your behavior on other threads and message boards.

4. Good for you. (insert sarcasm here.)

5. John 17:3 summarizes all the essentials.

1. I'm not, just calling a spade a spade.

2. That should've been obvious from the way you phrased your insinuations, but I just figured I'd stand for truth and put all information for those interested in replying to your request out there.

3. I don't hate you for not believing in the BoM. I don't hate you. I just have little respect for you, because I've seen your behavior on other threads and message boards.

4. Good for you. (insert sarcasm here.)

5. John 17:3 summarizes all the essentials.

Have a nice day.

Feel free to quote the below:

After We Have Endured to the End

What happens when we have endured to the end in faithful discipleship to Christ? The Lord has said, â??If you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of Godâ? (D&C 14:7). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, â??If we will continue in God; that is, keep his commandments, worship him and live his truth; then the time will come when we shall be bathed in the fulness of truth, which shall grow brighter and brighter until the perfect dayâ? (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:36).

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: â??When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospelâ??you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the graveâ? (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 348).

This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: â??It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. â?¦ He was once a man like us; â?¦ God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself didâ? (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345â??46).

Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as he did.

Imagine what joy each of us will have when we return to our Heavenly Father if we can say: â??Father, I did what you wanted me to do. I have been faithful and have kept your commandments. I am happy to be home again.â? Then we will hear him say, â??Well done; â?¦ thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lordâ? (Matthew 25:23).

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgne...contentLocale=0

Well, then, go to www.lds.org and do the research. I will not be doing your homework for you. Anything here on this message board will be as unofficial as can be.

LDS.org is a big site. Might you help me find a link to the concept of men becoming Gods over other worlds?

California wrote:

I don't think you can quote just any member. You'd have to get leadership quotes if you want to be fair while writing your article.

I can understand the idea that the lay-membership might not get some key doctrinal points right, but why wouldn't it be fair to quote bona-fide members on their understanding of the issue as long as it is presented as the opinions of lay members? Are lay members not entitled to an opinion on doctrine?

Russ,

Imagine Ann Coulter walking into the DNC and asking, "Can any of you tell me if you believe that higher taxes are a good thing, that guns should be banned, that illegal aliens should be given amnesty, and that Bush was responsible for 9/11? Can I quote you?"

With the reputation that a woman like her has, why would anyone be anxious to give her a quote?

Furthermore, like liberal views, (I can't believe I'm using this analogy) LDS personal beliefs are not one monolithic theology. As is witnessed by this board, we disagree sharply on many issues, including the nature of eternal progression.

If you manage to mine a juicy little quote that perfectly astonishes and wows your Evangelical readers, be sure to distinguish between a personal belief and the official beliefs endorsed by the LDS church.

Sargon

I read this thread and I am left to wonder why members are so reticent to share their beliefs? State what you believe clearly and sincerely and let the chips fall where they may.

Russ, when I was a member that is what I believed and that is what my parents still believe. in the 30+ years that I attended Church, I heard that over and over and have never heard anything, in Church, to contradict that.

My current belief is that we do not survive our own deaths.

Hope that helps.

Archived