Nibley's Lehi In The Desert Series

markwhannig

I need some help . . .

Does anyone know of a worthwhile critique of the Nibley series of articles published in 1950?

When I write "worthwhile" I mean a critique equally rigorous in Nibley's research and/or analysis, and not some anti-Mormon diatribe for the sake of being anti-Mormon -- I mean something substantial.

I recently re-read the series as part of this year's Book of Mormon studies and wonder if any scholar has ever responded in a scholarly way?

Respectfully,

Mark Hannig

I need some help . . .

Does anyone know of a worthwhile critique of the Nibley series of articles published in 1950?

When I write "worthwhile" I mean a critique equally rigorous in Nibley's research and/or analysis, and not some anti-Mormon diatribe for the sake of being anti-Mormon -- I mean something substantial.

I recently re-read the series as part of this year's Book of Mormon studies and wonder if any scholar has ever responded in a scholarly way?

Respectfully,

Mark Hannig

Brant Gardner's "A Second Witness" has numerous references to Nibley's work and may be a good source for commentary on Nibley's work and contributions.

Larry P

His work is considered seminal, and the inspiration for our understanding and research into the historical basis of the BOM.

It is like asking for a critique of Darwin. It started a whole new view of the world of nature, regardless of individual flaws in the book itself.

We are standing on the shoulders of giants.

Agreed, Larry P. But you're likely a bias source, since Gardner quotes you in his excellent work. :P

;)

Of course I am biased but with good reason. He and I are good friends and have argued back and forth about the Book of Mormon for several years. Sometimes we agree and then sometimes we dont.

Larry P

His work is considered seminal, and the inspiration for our understanding and research into the historical basis of the BOM.

It is like asking for a critique of Darwin. It started a whole new view of the world of nature, regardless of individual flaws in the book itself.

We are standing on the shoulders of giants.

Yes Nibley's work is the basis of much of our understanding of the culture and events that produced the Book of Mormon. My interest in the Book of Mormon cultural setting began when I was called to teach the Elder's quoum lessons based on his book "Lehi in the Deseret". It had just been published and was thought to be of sufficient interest to members that it was used as a lesson manual for Melchesidec Priesthood Quorums.

Larry P

Archived