Powerful Sermon In The Book Of Mormon

consiglieri

While reading the Book of Mormon for class prep, I was astonished at the power of the sermon Nephi gave his brothers when they were making fun of his ability to build a ship; and more specifically complaining that they should have remained at Jerusalem where everything was hunky dory.

Nephi goes into a history lesson about the children of Israel being led out of Egypt by Moses, and going on to destroy the people in Canaan.

Nephi makes an important point here; that the people of Canaan were not destroyed because they were not Jewish; they were destroyed because they were wicked. Similarly, the Jews were not allowed to destroy the Canaanites because the Jews were Jewish, but because they were righteous.

Now, all of this I had understood before.

What struck me was the masterful way Nephi used this historical lesson to challenge Laman and Lemuel's argument that the Jews were righteous precisely because they were Jews, without regard to their individual righteousness; and that merely because they were Jews and hence God's chosen people, God would not let their capital of Jerusalem be destroyed.

It appears, then, that Laman and Lemuel proposed a chosen people ideology based upon ethnic identity; and Nephi countered with a chosen people ideology based on worthiness and opposed to mere ethnic identity.

I can only imagine that I am slow on the uptake, but wanted to share my feelings with regard to the fresh impact this chapter had on me.

Thanks for listening!

--Consiglieri

While reading the Book of Mormon for class prep, I was astonished at the power of the sermon Nephi gave his brothers when they were making fun of his ability to build a ship; and more specifically complaining that they should have remained at Jerusalem where everything was hunky dory.

Nephi goes into a history lesson about the children of Israel being led out of Egypt by Moses, and going on to destroy the people in Canaan.

Nephi makes an important point here; that the people of Canaan were not destroyed because they were not Jewish; they were destroyed because they were wicked. Similarly, the Jews were not allowed to destroy the Canaanites because the Jews were Jewish, but because they were righteous.

What struck me was the masterful way Nephi used this historical lesson to challenge Laman and Lemuel's argument that the Jews were righteous precisely because they were Jews, without regard to their individual righteousness; and that merely because they were Jews and hence God's chosen people, God would not let their capital of Jerusalem be destroyed.

It appears, then, that Laman and Lemuel proposed a chosen people ideology based upon ethnic identity; and Nephi countered with a chosen people ideology based on worthiness and opposed to mere ethnic identity.

I can only imagine that I am slow on the uptake, but wanted to share my feelings with regard to the fresh impact this chapter had on me.

Thanks for listening!

--Consiglieri

Indeed this is a powerful sermon, that I seemed to have overlooked some of these details. Thanks.

Thanks for listening!

--Consiglieri

Thank you for sharing! I never realized this. I wish we had more 'Ah-ha' postings like this.

This chapter is one of my favorites. It shows me that we should never feel inferior to other people and if God helped others with their challenges then why won't he help me with mine? I despise hearing how the challenges of the pioneers were so hard and we are made to think are challenges are less then theirs. They are not rather then what seperates us what unites us and that unifier is God helping them and God helping us.

Archived