Seriously No Politics ×

Asherah And Lehi's Dream

Sargon

I really wanted to, I really really wanted to. But I figured I would sound crazy to the uneducated masses. Did anyone comment on it? What kind of reaction did you get?

Sargon

I really wanted to, I really really wanted to. But I figured I would sound crazy to the uneducated masses. Did anyone comment on it? What kind of reaction did you get?

Sargon

I once told a Midrashic story regarding the serpent pushing Eve into the Tree of Good and Evil. Everyone in the room turned as one and stared at me...even my wife. I decided somethings need to be kept quiet.

I wrote a paper about Asherah in the early 90's for an Old Testament class that was similar to DCP's (except for the connection to Nephi's dream), but I don't think I'd bring it up in Sunday School. When I first moved into my present ward, I made a comment about the "gift of Aaron" in D&C 8 being a divining rod rather than the Aaronic priesthood as the Sunday School teacher said, and got some funny looks. Since then I've limited my comments, talks and lessons to stuff that won't freak anyone out.

A while ago at a regional Institute fireside, the local stake president gave a talk that included gematria, and it was popular enough for subsequent activities to include the deliberate use of numerology.

I wonder if a youth activity designed to teach sigil magic would be able to fly under the radar.

We had it and I was grateful. Dr. S. E. who received her PHD at BYU teaches at Wayne State College here in Nebraska is our Gospel Doctrine teacher and she talked briefly about it. I actually looked around to see people's reaction and like Sargon mentioned it went over most people heads. I am her home teacher and when I go to her home I come away taught now that's a cool home-teaching assignment made easy.

I linked our Gospel Doctrine instructor to "Nephi and His Asherah" last month, but I have no idea if he ended up reading it or mentioning it on Sunday, as I was not present.

I did not bring it up last week in gospel doctrine, but plan to do so this coming Sunday.

Thanks for the reminder!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Be sure to tell us the reactions you get!

Be sure to tell us the reactions you get!

I can give you an advance notice on that, because I brought the same thing up two years' back during the Old Testament.

The response I got was very positive.

Even the usualy naysayers in the class did not say nay.

Probably because of all the sisters present.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I thought about it, but we have enough trouble with the teacher ventruing off into speculation and mis-quoting Skousen as though he were the ultimate authority to prove the misquote factual.

I did mention Asherah the week before when we were speaking of the Jewish wickedness the week before and someone asked the question why they didn't listen to the prophets - I reminded him that the Jews were hardly a monothestic people, they has all sorts of gods and idols and then I named more than half a dozen.

I didn't get into any Asherah connection at that time though.

Most members are not going to understand Asherah. I think it goes beyond what most are ready to hear. However, most members do understand the Tree of Life and that it is in the current temple endowment. Margaret Barker states that the Tree of Life was also in the First Temple prior to the Deuteronomists removing it. I think most members would understand how a few precious things were taken out of the temple, prior to Jerusalem's destruction, and not continued in the 2nd Temple; and how this could be considered evidence of Joseph Smith's prophetic call.

I was sorely tempted to, but the opportunity just didn't lend itself to be invoked. As a general rule for me, unless someone is going way off base on putting spiritual emphasis somewhere it shouldn't be (the Rod of Aaron vs the Aaronic Priesthood in D&C 8 being an excellent example, as also whole elssons spent on camels crawling through tiny doors being the "eye of the needle") I stick to comments about how what we are learning can be applied into our daily lives. Less ackward moments and it's really what Church should eb about anyway.

I was sorely tempted to, but the opportunity just didn't lend itself to be invoked. As a general rule for me, unless someone is going way off base on putting spiritual emphasis somewhere it shouldn't be (the Rod of Aaron vs the Aaronic Priesthood in D&C 8 being an excellent example, as also whole elssons spent on camels crawling through tiny doors being the "eye of the needle") I stick to comments about how what we are learning can be applied into our daily lives. Less ackward moments and it's really what Church should eb about anyway.

This resonates with me.

Dr. Peterson's Nephi and his Asherah is highly interesting to me, but as a gospel doctrine teacher, it would take me pretty much all of one class period to develop it enough to where the average class member would understand it. And class periods are scarce. Considering stake and general conferences, I don't have a single one to spare this year.

So I focus as much as I can on practical application and edification and promoting discussion among the class members themselves.

Sargon

In Sunday School I began to raise my hand but it was promptly shot down by a very scary glare from the person sitting next to me, my wife!

A few years ago, just before our daughter was born, I had almost convinced my wife to name her Asherah. She was OK with it until I explained to her who she is, I was young foolish. Now I an a little older and just as foolish, if not more so.

But I am not going even mention the Ugaritic texts, I may be dumb but I not stupid. :P

Personally, knowing the composition of your ward, I think that they would get a kick out of it. College students tend to like new ideas which run against old superstitions ;)

Plus you have authority over them and they must bow to your will!!! :crazy:

Bro. Edmondson

Archived