Seriously No Politics ×

FARMs New Video

livy111us

I just got my Journey of Faith II in the mail today and am very happy with what they have done. It is about 90 minutes and has 32 scholars including Sorenson, Brant Gardner, Matt Roper, Dan Peterson, Welch, Skinner and many more. It is very well done and hits all the major points. It covers:

-LGT

-Others in the BOM

-Geography

-Cultural ties

-Writing

-social structure

-Temples

-similarities between BOM and Mesoamerican tradition/culture

-Metallurgy

-Warfare

and quite a bit more

I enjoyed a few parallels. Mark Wright mentioned Mayans getting a new name and then becoming a god. He also spoke about the Mayans believing in 3 levels of the earth. The sky, the earth, and the waters underneath the earth. He mentions Abinidi, I think it was, who used that same terminology in Mosiah. Also, the divine kingship of the Mayan kings was very common, and he speculated that is why King Benjamin iterated that he is only a man, to refute the idea of divine kingship.

It is a very good video and would suggest it to anyone.

They also have bonus footage that inludes:

DNA and the BOM

Law of Moses and BOM

Chiasmus and BOM

Languages and BOM

Fauna and Flora in BOM

and a few more.

I think mine will arrive today. I got my email a couple days ago that it was being shipped out, but I live half way across the country so it takes a bit longer.

Now I wish I could remember who borrowed my first movie. ;)

Was not me !. :P

Now I know why it was delayed so long...

I went out and bought my copy last night and could not watch the feature because of technical difficulties on the disc. I could only watch the bonus features.

Tried it on 3 different DVD players.

I just got my Journey of Faith II in the mail today and am very happy with what they have done. It is about 90 minutes and has 32 scholars including Sorenson, Brant Gardner, Matt Roper, Dan Peterson, Welch, Skinner and many more. It is very well done and hits all the major points....

It is a very good video and would suggest it to anyone.

My parents are sending me a copy. What should I expect? More of what I've seen here but with professional filming to jazz it up?

They also have bonus footage that inludes:

DNA and the BOM

Anything about a surgeon who thinks Hebrews were the main source of American aboriginals? Oh wait, that would be bogus footage. :P

I thought the first one was much better, but that is probably because they had more to go on than they do for the new world. This one basically just seemed to tie them into the Mayans and give generalities of what they think could have been. It wasn't that indepth, but again it really couldn't be. It didn't seem to be anything I had not already heard on here and it seemed a bit scattered.

I thought the special features was the best part of the movie. They basically would stick with one or two scholars to go over a specific item rather than in the regular film where one person would say a sentence and then it would skip to someone else that would say the same thing in their own words.

I got mine last night, and very much enjoyed it. Now and then, I learned something new. Now and then, I knew something that I wished that they had mentioned. I think the diversity of participants made it so that certain controversial topics did not come up. Which river is makes the best Sidon, and why? What candidate for Cumorah? I noticed that the discussion of the stripling warriors did not touch on my little essays on that topic, on why it was the mothers happen to know what their sons believed the knew. Well, all one can do is sigh.

Overall, it's a major improvement on the old films that went around in my youth. Ancient America Speaks, and such. In that respect, I can have no serious complaints. For the most part, it presumes the viewers have read the Book of Mormon, and know the stories. It touches on most of what I would consider essentials. The range of contributors is great. And the photography is lovely.

Well done, FARMS.

Kevin Christensen

Bethel Park, PA

Considering that there are so many free videos of the opposite kind available to the public I am curious if there is anything similar to this video already available on Google video or Youtube?

That would make it a lot easier for those investigating the church to see both views on these issues instead of only having the option of seeing videos opposing mormonisn with facts and research. I would like to have a mormon version available to the public as well so investigators don't have only the opposite stuff to rely on.

Or is there already a mormon side available (on google video or Youtube) and I just can't find it?

Archived