Truman Madsen And Joseph Smith

Lamanite

After the fresh breeze of "Rough Stone Rolling" had passed I thought I would revisit the Truman Madsen lectures on Joseph Smith (both series).

I appreciate and have a great deal of respect for Brother Madsen, however, I couldn't help but catch myself thinking throughout his lecture- CFR, CFR, CFR, CFR. IMO, I think this has to do with the sometimes over sentimentality of his stories; and the dialogue he often attributes to Joseph seems almost impossible to have a record of?

My question is, Has anyone ever gone through those lectures and his books to check ref's? Just curious. I don't doubt Brother Madsen's integrity or sources, I just know that personally when I retell an episode or event I've read it becomes a little Paul H. Dunn'ish.

Truman would do well to better cite some things in the lectures, but I'm glad he leaves sources somewhat out of his verbal lectures on account of avoiding the annoying imposition in the middle of his comments.

I haven't actually read the book, just listened to the lectures. I have found that Truman is a sort-of Orson F. Whitney of our day, more than a footnote fanatic, though I know he cites his sources in the other books of his I have read.

While reading the Journal of Discourses I have happened across several things I recall Truman talking about in the lectures, many instances from George A. Smith, for example. I wonder if Truman cites these sources in the books.

Sounds like a whole lot of complaining about . . . well, nothing.

Why don't YOU do some research and report whether or not your unsubstantiated insinuations have any merit?

CFR, CFR, CFR, CFR. . . . the sometimes over sentimentality of [Truman Madsen's] stories

the dialogue [Truman Madsen] often attributes to Joseph [smith] seems almost impossible to have a record of

I'm just wondering if some of [Truman Madsen's] stuff becomes embellished (sp?) in the course of his lectures.

when I retell an episode or event I've read it becomes a little Paul H. Dunn'ish.

I listened to his "Timeless questions, Gospel insights" tape and to say the least it was fantastic! I wrote him a letter for some references and he mailed them to me and they were just as he said they were in his tape. I think he is a man of his word.

Truman would do well to better cite some things in the lectures, but I'm glad he leaves sources somewhat out of his verbal lectures on account of avoiding the annoying imposition in the middle of his comments.

I haven't actually read the book, just listened to the lectures. I have found that Truman is a sort-of Orson F. Whitney of our day, more than a footnote fanatic, though I know he cites his sources in the other books of his I have read.

While reading the Journal of Discourses I have happened across several things I recall Truman talking about in the lectures, many instances from George A. Smith, for example. I wonder if Truman cites these sources in the books.

I agree that referencing during a lecture would be a terrible intrusion. I really enjoy the lectures and have grown to love him and his "unique" inflection and cadence. :P I know he is intelligent and well read and am sure that all of his stories have a source somewhere. I'm just wondering if some of his stuff becomes embellished (sp?) in the course of his lectures.

I listened to his "Timeless questions, Gospel insights" tape and to say the least it was fantastic! I wrote him a letter for some references and he mailed them to me and they were just as he said they were in his tape. I think he is a man of his word.

This warms my soul!

I've listened to his lectures and he does indicate at times references to journals or letters. I get the impression he's pretty much read everything in the Archives. He has a fantastic memory. A lot of what he says seems to be actual recitations of things he has read. I'm sure he can document everything he's said.

I agree! It doesn't take much to know that he is very close to the spirit. I love listening to him. He is great!

~Kate

Sounds like a whole lot of complaining about . . . well, nothing.

Why don't YOU do some research and report whether or not your unsubstantiated insinuations have any merit?

Who's complaining? And who insinuated anything? And how would a reader go through and "do research" on a book that has no footnotes?

YODA said:

Who's complaining? And who insinuated anything?

One more time, for those short green aliens who haven't updated the perscription for their glasses lately:

CFR, CFR, CFR, CFR. . . . the sometimes over sentimentality of [Truman Madsen's] stories

the dialogue [Truman Madsen] often attributes to Joseph [smith] seems almost impossible to have a record of

I'm just wondering if some of [Truman Madsen's] stuff becomes embellished (sp?) in the course of his lectures.

when I retell an episode or event I've read it becomes a little Paul H. Dunn'ish.

YADA (yada, yada) said again:

And how would a reader go through and "do research" on a book that has no footnotes?

The human beings didn't seem to have a problem locating the reference notes in Brother Madsen's book (see above). Maybe they write on scrolls or tree bark on your world of origin (???).

:P

Archived