Proving The Things Of God

Bsix

How do you prove the things of God?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best way to prove Jesus is Lord and Savior?

• Prayer-based revelation/promptings from God?
    • Accepting the witness of others?
    • Accepting the Bible witness?
    • None of the above. You just have faith.
  2. 2. What is the best way to prove that the Bible is the word of God?

• Prayer-based revelation/promptings from God?
    • Accepting the witness of others?
    • External evidences (logic-based history, archeology, artifacts, etc.)
    • Internal evidences (logic-based synergy of Bible passages)
    • None of the above. You just have faith.
  3. 3. Have you ever prayed for spiritual truth?

• Yes. And, I got revelation/promptings from God
    • Yes. But, I don't get revelation/promptings from God.
    • No. That not how God reveals spiritual truth.

Traditional Christians only, please.

What methods do you use for understanding the things of God?

If you'd like to comment, please feel free. For those of you who DO pray for guidance from God regarding finding or confirming spiritual truths; how does the revelation from God come to you?

Thanks,

Six

Whenever I want to make a poll for a select demographic, I usually add another option that is irrelevant like "I'm a Mormon" if I just want mainstream Christians to vote. That way the excluded demographic gets to feel included and it's less of a hassle to see the poll results (I know, it's not any more hassle to click the other "show results" button instead -- but I just don't like it).

If you'd like to comment, please feel free. For those of you who DO pray for guidance from God regarding finding or confirming spiritual truths; how does the revelation from God come to you?

Thanks,

Six

Why only traditional christians? we all get answers from God if we sincerly pray.

:P

Thanks,

Six

All I can say, Six, is that God gives understanding. I'd say they are His methods and not my own. After all, Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. God gives persons the gift of faith to trust in Christ as the propitiation for sin. Scripture also speaks of those who lack understanding because of their hardness of heart.

I think perhaps God in my lifetime and at times has confirmed truths by giving me discernment, giving me understanding of His word, by revealing His character and presence. Once, I was headed to the home improvement store to return an item, when He told me to Go to the library! The home improvement store was to the left and the library would mean a turn to the right. I said aloud, "I'm going to [name of home improvement store]! I literally had no control at the time and turned right headed toward the library. When I approached the library, He said turn into the parking lot. Granted that doesn't happen often. :- )

All I can say is that God gives understanding according to His will.

Here are some Scriptures that either came to mind or I found doing a word search on crosswalk.com

"The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple." Ps. 119:130

"May my cry come before you, O Lord; give me understanding according to your word." Ps. 119:169

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, 3 and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:1-6

""The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. " Proverbs 9:10

"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true--even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

" 1 John 5:20

I don't think it can be limited to one way or another. It is always a combination of elements, and the combination is different for different people. I think it is the same with LDS. For example, I personally like to think a lot (too much?), so reason and logic play a larger role in my beliefs than they do in a friend of mine, who is moved by experience and such. Of course, I also believe that God has worked in my life through spiritual experiences, and my friend also like to think and reason regarding his faith. We just are wired differently as to the balance.

I am also curious as to what is meant by "prove" in the poll questions. Do you mean to say it is possible to objectively prove all this, apart from faith? I don't know that anyone would suggest that.

Take care, everyone :P

EDIT: I voted for "accepting the Bible witness" for number one, "prayer based revelaton" for #2, and "Yes, and I've received revelaton from God" for the third one. However, the only answer I would stand by would be #3, since the first two I believe are always a combination of factors.

Archived