Seriously No Politics ×

Mormons And The Covenant Of Grace

Uncle Dale

In another thread here, I took up the question of whether the Mormons are God's Elect,

(who are spoken of so often in the Christian Bible).

Which brings us to the Calvinist precept of the "election of grace," or of predestined

election of the Saints within the "covenant of grace" --

For example:

"A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God"

by William Mason - 1803

p. 201 (commenting upon Hebrews 4:1 --

"The Lord only knoweth who are his elect according to the covenant of grace.

This did not lie open to the eyes even of his chosen apostles...."

For further reference, I'll include below a comparison of Scriptures

(notice the wording in JST Matthew 24:23 and JST Mark 13:15)

Matthew 24: KJV

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of

the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved:

but for the ELECT's sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs

and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very ELECT.

Matthew 24: JST

18 For then, in those days, shall be great tribulations on the Jews, and upon the

inhabitants of Jerusalem; such as was not before sent upon Israel, of God, since

the beginning of their kingdom until this time; no, nor ever shall be sent again upon Israel.

19 All things which have befallen them, are only the beginning of the sorrows which shall come

upon them; and except, those days should be shortened, there should none of their flesh be saved.

20 But for the elect's sake, according to the covenant, those days shall be shortened.

21 Behold these things I have spoken unto you concerning the Jews.

22 And again, after the tribulation of those days which shall come upon Jerusalem if any

man shall say unto you Lo! here is Christ, or there; believe him not,

23 For in those days, there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets,

and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if possible, they shall deceive the

very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant .

24 Behold, I speak these things unto you for the elect's sake.

Matthew 24: KJV

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall

not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth

mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together

his ELECT from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

34 And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall

not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

35 Verily I say unto you, this generation, in which these things shall be shown forth, shall not pass

away until all I have told you shall be fulfilled.

36 Although the days will come that heaven and earth shall pass away, yet my word shall not pass away;

but all shall be fulfilled.

37 And as I said before, after the tribulation of those days, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken,

then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven; and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn.

38 And they shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

39 And whoso treasureth up my words, shall not be deceived.

40 For the Son of Man shall come, and he shall send his angels before him with the great sound of a trumpet,

and they shall gather together the remainder of his elect from the four winds; from one end of heaven to the other.

Mark 13: KJV

19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which

God created unto this time, neither shall be.

20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the ELECT's sake,

whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce,

if it were possible, even the ELECT.

Mark 13: JST

20 For then, in those days, shall be great tribulation on the Jews, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem;

such as was not before sent upon Israel, of God, since the beginning of their kingdom, (for it is written their

enemies shall scatter them,) until this time; no, nor ever shall be sent again upon Israel.

21 All these things are the beginnings of sorrows.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved; but for the elect's sake,

according to the covenant, those days shall be shortened.

23 Behold these things I have spoken unto you concerning the Jews.

24 And then immediately after the tribulation of those days which shall come upon Jerusalem if any man shall

say unto you, Lo, here is Christ; or there, believe him not.

25 For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show

great signs and wonders; insomuch, that if possible, they shall deceive the very elect,

who are the elect according to the covenant .

26 Behold, I speak these things unto you, for the elect's sake

Mark 13: KJV

24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his ELECT from the four winds,

from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

Mark 13: JST

29 For as the light of the morning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west, and covereth

the whole earth, so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.

30 And now I show unto you a parable. Behold, wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be

gathered together;

31 So likewise, shall mine elect be gathered from the four quarters of the earth.

Luke 18: KJV

6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

7 And shall not God avenge his own ELECT, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Luke 18: JST

6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, who cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with men?

8 I tell you that he will come, and when he does come, he will avenge his saints speedily. Nevertheless,

when the Son of Man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Romans 8: KJV

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not

with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's ELECT? It is God that justifieth.

Romans 8: JST

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can prevail against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with

him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

Romans 9: JST

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God

according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

Romans 11: KJV

4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men,

who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the ELECTION of grace.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works,

then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the ELECTION hath obtained it,

and the rest were blinded.

Romans 11: JST

4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men,

who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works; otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works,

then is it no more grace; otherwise work is no more work.

7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which they seek for; but the election hath obtained it,

and the rest were blinded.

Colossians 3: KJV

12 Put on therefore, as the ELECT of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness,

humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any:

even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Colossians 3: JST

12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness,

humbleness of mind, meekness, long-suffering;

13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any;

even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

1 Thessalonians 1: KJV

3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our

Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

4 Knowing, brethren beloved, your ELECTION of God.

1 Thessalonians 1: JST

3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our

Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

4 Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

2 Timothy 2: KJV

9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

10 Therefore I endure all things for the ELECT's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation

which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

2 Timothy 2: JST

9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evildoer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sake, that they may also obtain the salvation

which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

1 Timothy 5: JST

21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe

these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

Titus 1: KJV

1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's ELECT,

and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Titus 1: JST

1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect,

and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

1 Peter 1: KJV

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus,

Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 ELECT according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit,

unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 1: JST

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus,

Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit,

unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ; Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 5: KJV

13 The church that is at Babylon, ELECTED together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

1 Peter 5: JST

13 They at Babylon, elected together with you, salute you; and so doth Marcus my son.

2 Peter 1: KJV

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was

purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and ELECTION sure:

for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom

of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1: JST

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was

purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure;

for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall;

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom

of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Uncle Dale

Interesting. Covenant made here or in the pre-existence.

That is exactly what I am trying to determine. As best I can understand Calvinism, the only covenant

that really matters is one between God the Father and God the Son, in which the elect are made holy

participants, through their share in Christ.

In other words, according to that way of thinking, the "New Covenant" spoken of by Jesus was the only

true covenant of salvation, and the elect are made participants in that covenant by God's sovereign

grace -- exercised before the world began.

That would be something like a Calvinist explanation of the "elect according to the covenant of grace."

But, notice that Rigdon and Smith, in their addition of that clause to JST Matthew and Mark, leave off

the last two words, "of grace."

This opens up the possibility for gospel dispensationalism -- with "the elect" being the faithful members

of an ongoing, or renewed covenant (each of the seven dispensations having such a covenant as its

associational basis).

Thus, the JST addition appears to both explain who "the elect" are, and solve the problem of the

"covenant of grace," all in one fell swoop.

However, with all of that said, according to very early Mormon doctrine, it would have been the literal

descendants of Abraham, who are "the elect" in all dispensations after Enoch & Noah -- with a special

place for the House of Joseph in the Abrahamic, Mosaic and later covenants.

So -- Mormons still end up being the elect -- but only those who are faithful unto the end.

I think......

UD

Enoch XXXVIII: 2 (from the translation by the late Archbishop of Cashel -- Richard Laurence, LL.D.)

When righteousness shall be manifested in the presence of the righteous themselves, who will be elected for their good works duly weighed by the Lord of spirits; and when the light of the righteous and the elect, who dwell on earth, shall be manifested; where will the habitation of sinners be? and where the place of rest for those who have rejected the Lord of spirits? It would have been better for them, had they never been born.

Someone becomes one of the elect after their good works are duly weighed by the Lord of spirits... at least according to Mr. Enoch.

Enoch XXXVIII: 2 (from the translation by the late Archbishop of Cashel -- Richard Laurence, LL.D.)

When righteousness shall be manifested in the presence of the righteous themselves, who will be elected for their good works duly weighed by the Lord of spirits; and when the light of the righteous and the elect, who dwell on earth, shall be manifested; where will the habitation of sinners be? and where the place of rest for those who have rejected the Lord of spirits? It would have been better for them, had they never been born.

Someone becomes one of the elect after their good works are duly weighed by the Lord of spirits... at least according to Mr. Enoch.

So those words seem to indicate -- and yet, we have numerous biblical passages which speak of

God's foreknowledge of "the elect."

So, does that work out to a people pre-destined to perform a certain quantity of "good works,"

and thus are pleasing to God, before the foundations of the world are laid? --- Or.....

Is it because God has predestined these chosen few to be "the elect," that they identify themselves

by those good works, so that they (and others) KNOW them to be the elect?

UD

So those words seem to indicate -- and yet, we have numerous biblical passages which speak of

God's foreknowledge of "the elect."

So, does that work out to a people pre-destined to perform a certain quantity of "good works,"

and thus are pleasing to God, before the foundations of the world are laid? --- Or.....

Is it because God has predestined these chosen few to be "the elect," that they identify themselves

by those good works, so that they (and others) KNOW them to be the elect?

UD

G-d's foreknowledge has always been a sticky subject for me as it almost seems to negate agency (i.e. if it is already known that you will react a certain way, and that knowledge is 100% certain of your reaction, did you even have the choice to react differently[?]).

I suppose it could be looked at as G-d knowing individuals personalities (much like my dad knows my personality); but because of a few extra eons, this knowledge became much more refined and thus the ability to predict who would be â??electâ? was a menial task that any such Father could do.

Perhaps He knew who was predisposed to doing â??good works,â? and as such, the predestination wasnâ??t necessarily His doing as much as an acknowledgment of the nature of His children that would act as His elect.

Then again, maybe Iâ??m just talking in circles and making no sense.

Or maybe I need to leave Jewish apocryphal texts out of such discussions.

Or maybe I need to leave Jewish apocryphal texts out of such discussions.

"Oh please, please, Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't

throw me into that thar pseudopigraphical briar patch!"

UD

Archived