Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Smith's Reading Material?

jason e.

Ive read a few diffrent places where certain books were mentioned playing importance in Joseph's beliefs/teachings/worldview... but I was wondering if there was an exhaustive list out there.

Mahalo,

jason e.

Ive read a few diffrent places where certain books were mentioned playing importance in Joseph's beliefs/teachings/worldview... but I was wondering if there was an exhaustive list out there.

Mahalo,

jason e.

I guess that depends upon what stage of his life (and career in religion) you are talking about. Some

books which may have been influential in his career were not even available in published form until

after Mormonism was established. For example, the "plural worlds" writings of Rev. Thomas ****k,

(which JS is supposed to have owned and read at Kirtland).

UD

I guess that depends upon what stage of his life (and career in religion) you are talking about. Some

books which may have been influential in his career were not even available in published form until

after Mormonism was established. For example, the "plural worlds" writings of Rev. Thomas ****k,

UD

well i would be most interested in his books that helped establish his theology (as believed by a skeptic), or books that were for purposes of comparative religion (as a member might suggest). Also it wouyld be interesting to know what hebrew guide he was using in the school of the prophets...

It was mentioned in General Conference a year or so ago that Joseph Smith had read a book in his youth(?) regarding the lives of Christian martyrs. The speaker gave the name of the book, but I do not remember its title.

We know that Joseph Smith was a great Bible scholar, too.

Erich Robert Paul did a piece (I believe in BYU Studies) on what was available to Joseph. Iâ??m too lazy to look it up, but Iâ??m sure you could hunt it down if you were inclined to do so -- I think it was called "The Manchester Library" or something like that. CaliforniaKid linked a pretty good source not too long ago also.

For example, the "plural worlds" writings of Rev. Thomas ****k,

UD

Dale, I'd be interested to learn more about that; do you have a source?

It should be noted during the translation process I am unaware of any source saying Joseph had anything but the plates and the interpreters/seer stone. I am aware of a few sources who explicitly say Joseph did not have anything to reference during the dictation.

Erich Robert Paul did a piece (I believe in BYU Studies) on what was available to Joseph. Iâ??m too lazy to look it up, but Iâ??m sure you could hunt it down if you were inclined to do so -- I think it was called "The Manchester Library" or something like that. CaliforniaKid linked a pretty good source not too long ago also.

Eh, turns out I'm not a lazy as I thought: Joseph Smith and the Manchester Libarary.

Vex,

If you end up looking at this thread, one of the books available at the library was Josephus' Antiquities.

Eh, turns out I'm not a lazy as I thought: Joseph Smith and the Manchester Libarary.

Vex,

If you end up looking at this thread, one of the books available at the library was Josephus' Antiquities.

Thanks Doc, it was referenced in the other thread by LifeOnaPlate--but more directly around his final readings prior to his martyrdom.

Hey Doc, maybe i'm just blind. But I didn't see Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews on the book list. I saw American Antiquities, i'm going to look again at it. Do you have the number off hand?

Is this it?

181-186
(Cut and paste didn't work quite right).

Archived