A Guide To Lds Apologetics/history/theology On The Web?

jason e.

so it seems to me there is just a huge world of lds pro and anti and in between apologetics and what not on the web. so my question is what are the staples out there? i know of;

the madb board- pro lds board associated with farms in some degree

farms- pro lds book reviews

mormos stories.org- dehlin, a lds who grapples in a very honest way with tough issues via interviews...

so yeah if you guys wouldnt mind sharin with me what the other ones are i would really appriciate it.

thanks alot

-jason e.

I suggest the scriptures for a start. And most books written by liberal biblical scholars. Some of those happen to be LDS but if you can think out of your boxes you might be able to overlook that.

the madb board- pro lds board associated with farms in some degree

farms- pro lds book reviews

mormos stories.org- dehlin, a lds who grapples in a very honest way with tough issues via interviews...

MADB is not associated with FARMS....at all. It is a privately managed board. And FARMS is now the Maxwell Institute. And what is a "pro-LDS book review"? :P I get the feeling it is something opposite to those who grapple "in a very honest way"?

I suggest the scriptures for a start. And most books written by liberal biblical scholars. Some of those happen to be LDS but if you can think out of your boxes you might be able to overlook that.

MADB is not associated with FARMS....at all. It is a privately managed board. And FARMS is now the Maxwell Institute. And what is a "pro-LDS book review"? :P I get the feeling it is something opposite to those who grapple "in a very honest way"?

"I suggest the scriptures for a start."

-great, but im asking about the web.

"And FARMS is now the Maxwell Institute."

-what does this mean? they changed the name of farms?

"And what is a "pro-LDS book review"?"

-im saying its a co op of active lds scholars who review (if you wanna call it that) an assortment of books where the review ends up pushing for pro lds beliefs and whatnot.

"I get the feeling it is something opposite to those who grapple "in a very honest way"?"

-i actually didnt mean that, but i do believe it.

FARMS publications are really the staples. FARMS Review of Books stands out in front of the rest of the pack. The second tier of LDS apologetics includes probably FAIR and Jeff Lindsay. A third tier might encompass The Backyard Professor, SHIELDS, MADB, and a variety of other web-based apologist phenomena.

If you are seriously interested in familiarizing yourself with the world of LDS apologetics, I recommend going to the FARMS site and clicking "read our publications". Read anything and everything that interests you.

Then read the back issues of Dialogue and Sunstone for balance.

-CK

FARMS publications are really the staples. FARMS Review of Books stands out in front of the rest of the pack. The second tier of LDS apologetics includes probably FAIR and Jeff Lindsay. A third tier might encompass The Backyard Professor, SHIELDS, MADB, and a variety of other web-based apologist phenomena.

If you are seriously interested in familiarizing yourself with the world of LDS apologetics, I recommend going to the FARMS site and clicking "read our publications". Read anything and everything that interests you.

-CK

thanks so so much!

isnt there another board though?

thanks so so much!

isnt there another board though?

There are a number of other boards where Mormonism is debated. Back in the days of yore, ZLMB was the place to be. Its archives are still a gold mine. The forum still exists, but nobody posts there anymore.

There are also MDB and RfM, both of which (especially the latter!) are largely dominated by critics.

Actually, to say RfM is "dominated by critics" is something like the understatement of the century.

-CK

-CK

While closing your eyes and going "lalalalala" when you run into authors who write for all of them? :P

-im saying its a co op of active lds scholars who review (if you wanna call it that) an assortment of books where the review ends up pushing for pro lds beliefs and whatnot.

Well, aside from the fact that not all reviewers are LDS...if that works for you run with it. Meanwhile, I'm sure CK will be able to give you the conclusion you started with better than a Mormon could. <_<

Archived