Seriously No Politics ×

The Jesus Of Art And The Jesus Of Mark

Olavarria

jesus-christ.jpg

53.gif

jesus_meditating_forest.jpg

christ-with-child.jpg

Mark3:5 jesus gets visibly angry

5 And when he had looked round about on them with aanger, being grieved for the bhardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Mark 7: Jesus calls the religious leaders of His people, hypocrites

5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with aunwashen hands?

6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people ahonoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the atradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 aFor Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso bcurseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is aCorban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Captain Moroni

And it came to pass that he sent a petition, with the voice of the people, unto the governor of the land, desiring that he should read it, and give him (Moroni) power to compel those dissenters to defend their country or to put them to death.

Alma 51:15

I have always loved Captain Moroni, I understand why Mormon named his son after him. This shows his non feminine side. :P

I don't really like most of the Jesus art, as He is usually depicted as some blue-eyed European, when I am looking for more of a Semetic Jesus.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread about a blue-eyed Jesus. That was a rumor when I grew up. Did any LDS Prophets or Apostles write about a blue-eyed Jesus.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread about a blue-eyed Jesus. That was a rumor when I grew up. Did any LDS Prophets or Apostles write about a blue-eyed Jesus.

Im looking but I believe it was Joseph Smith who said he had blue eyes.

Im looking but I believe it was Joseph Smith who said he had blue eyes.

2 We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.

3 His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah . . .

D&C 110

Doesn't sound blue to me. :P

Dr. Steuss has hit it, I think.

The Glorified Christ appears white all over. And I don't think Joseph Smith meant white as in Northern-European-Caucasian. He simply couldn't find any other words to describe the glory.

Beowulf

What the Glorified Christ might look like if a appeared at a conference...:

10099.jpg

But... if you could see through the "white," the picture might be a bit different.

I thnk how interesting it is how a OP that was originaly based on gender has naturally turned to one about race. Either everyone agrees with me or we Americans have been slapped around by Jackson and Sharpton for way too long :P

The problem with depicting Jesus as semetic or "aryan" is that God the Father was His father, so any depiction is by definition guess work. I really dont care how he is depicted racially, you could paint Him black for all I care.

Joseph Smith described the Father in an account of the First Vision he gave to Alexander Neibaur as having "light complexion, blue eyes". From other accounts we read that when the Son came to the Father's side, Joseph saw that they "exactly resembled each other in their features or likeness".

I have thought, though, that too many Jesus pictures look like ladies from 1940's Coca Cola ads with a beard painted on. OTOH, some people thought that that famous Del Parson picture of him looked too stern.

I thnk how interesting it is how a OP that was originaly based on gender has naturally turned to one about race. Either everyone agrees with me or we Americans have been slapped around by Jackson and Sharpton for way too long :P

The problem with depicting Jesus as semetic or "aryan" is that God the Father was His father, so any depiction is by definition guess work. I really dont care how he is depicted racially, you could paint Him black for all I care.

I don't know really if this is based on gender, so much as attributes projected onto gender. For instance, the "art" pictures you show mainly show what could be seen as a "maternal" Jesus...and yet in this day and age he could just look like a paternal Jesus. The third "art" Jesus I think doesn't have any thing distinctly feminine about it.

The first three manly pictures you have only seem to be categorized as "manly" because they are either yelling with a hand raised or with a rope or whip in his hand. I know a lot of women who can smack down in a similar manner personally, and who can ride well on a horse.

If you actually look at the actual features though of Jesus, all the examples, whether being "art" or "manly" are similar-and in some ways that actually has to do with race. Because we tend to pick models for Jesus that make him look like some Norwegian guy who has a hippie side to him, with long well conditioned hair, fine features, pretty eyes, a long narrow nose, and usually tall and lean. Some of these features are actually what people would identify with "feminine" in our culture consequently. So, if we got some more burly looking dude holding a kid, the response may be somewhat different.

And I think we can imagined what Jesus looked like, because the scriptures don't speak to someone who looked God-like or anything. I think it's okay to assume he looked like his "mother" in that sense, and fit in accordingly to a youth in first century Palenstine.

I understand your meaning that we do emphasize the more meek face of Christ. I"m not sure why we assign a gender to meekness though.

I prefer masculine images myself. I'm not picky on race. While blue eyes would probably be rare in that area at that time I don't think it would be a huge issue. Might explain why the Anti-Christian Jewish literature of the day accused Jesus of being the son of a Roman Soldier too.

My mental picture of Jesus doesn't match any of those though. Still, I could be wrong....stranger things have happened :P

Does anyone else find the more laid back Del Parson Jesus kinda creepy? He looks to me like he has the smile of someone about to go for your neck.

It was entitled The Blue Jesus, and I thought it was compelling. To me it evoked an emotion other than vampirism.

The one piece of Jesus art I did find vaguely disturbing was at a Mexican religious curio shop where I saw a picture of Jesus on a cross, whose eyes seemed to follow me around as I changed positions.

What the Glorified Christ might look like if a appeared at a conference...:

10099.jpg

But... if you could see through the "white," the picture might be a bit different.

Do I have permission to hang your depiction on my wall? <_<:P

Archived