Seriously No Politics ×

Were Js And By Going To Reinstitute Animal Sacrifice!?!?

Chris Smith

I ran across this quote today and it blew me away:

Why send Elijah because he holds the Keys of the Authority to

administer in all the ordinances of the priesthood and without the

authority is given the ordinances could not be administered in

righteousness. It is a very prevalent opinion that in the sacrifices of

sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed, this was not the

case if you read Leviticus [2] Chap [2-3] verses you will observe that

the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord,

while the remainder was kept for the benefit maintenance of the priests.

So that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the Alter,

but the blood is sprinkled and the fat and certain other portions are

consumed These sacrifices as well as every ordinance belonging to the

priesthood will when the temple of the Lord shall be built and the Sons

Levi be purified be fully restored and attended to then all their powers,

ramifications, and blessings--this the Sons of Levi shall be purified.

ever was and will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood

are sufficiently manifest. Else how can the restitution of all things

spoken of by all the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be

understood that, the law of moses will be established again with all it

rights and variety of ceremonies, ceremonies, this had never been

spoken off by the prophets but those things which existed prior Moses's

day viz Sacrifice will be continued --It may be asked by some what

necessity for Sacrifice since the great Sacrifice was offered? In answer

to which if Repentance Baptism and faith were necessary to Salvation

existed prior to the days of Christ what necessity for them since that

time [This excerpt is from seemingly the only discourse of Joseph

Smith which was written before being delivered. It was given October

5, 1840. Original manuscript, in hand writing of Robert B. Thompson

(a clerk for Joseph Smith), Archives]

President Brigham Young discussed plans for a room in the Salt Lake Temple to be used

for animal sacrifices: "[speaking of the temple plan] Under the pulpit in the west end

[Aaronic priesthood end] will be a place to offer sacrifices. There will be an altar

prepared for that purpose so that when any sacrifices are to be offered, they should be

offered there." [Journal of Wilford Woodruff, December 18, 1857, Archives] [Floor plan

drawings done during construction of the Salt Lake Temple do not indicate such a room.]

Smith, William V. A Joseph Smith Commentary on the Book of Abraham: An Introduction to the Study of the Book of Abraham. 2nd ed. Provo, UT: The Book of Abraham Project, 2002, pp. 65-66.

Why did BY never go through with this? Can the Restoration go forward until animal sacrifice is reinstituted? Are there any fundamentalist groups that perform animal sacrifices?

-CK

Man is PETA going to be mad! :P

As far as I understand this, it is referring specifically to the prophesy about the sons of Levi. I don't know that we know to what extent animal sacrifices will be brought back. But the sons of Levi will once again make an offering in righteousness. My guess is that it will happen right before or right after the second coming of the Lord.

Sargon said on the other thread...

Why an animal sacrifice needs to be done eludes me. The only reason I can think of is something akin to "fulfilling all righteousness". Why would it ever be required if the Law of Moses was fulfilled? I have often wondered about that scripture in D&C.

Perhaps I understand it incorrectly.

Sargon

I wanted to comment...

But if you remember Animal sacrifice was institued shortly after the expulsion from the Garden by Adam. So it preceeded the Law of Moses. Now the intresting question is... Since tithing preceeded the Law of Moses and we continue to tithe. Why would the Animal Sacrifice be taken away?

Of course the answer is... it hasnt. We just do it in a different way. Every Sunday.

As far as I understand this, it is referring specifically to the prophesy about the sons of Levi. I don't know that we know to what extent animal sacrifices will be brought back

I would recommend you do a search of the general conferences of the past 20 years or so. The most common interpretation of this expression is that the Sons of Levi are priesthood holders. The acceptable offering is temple ordinances. Not animal sacrifices.

I would recommend you do a search of the general conferences of the past 20 years or so. The most common interpretation of this expression is that the Sons of Levi are priesthood holders. The acceptable offering is temple ordinances. Not animal sacrifices.

The JS sermon quoted in the OP would seem to disagree.

I found this maybe it can shed some light:

(Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.3, Pg.94) RESTORATION OF BLOOD SACRIFICES. We are living in the dispensation of the fulness of times into which all things are to be gathered, and all things are to be restored since the beginning. Even this earth is to be restored to the condition which prevailed before Adam's transgression. Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored. The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.
I am not sure but I think this will only be done in the temple to be built at Jerusalem and or the one in the New Jerusalem, but not in all the temples. I assume BY did not do it in the SLC Temple because the Lord did not instruct him to do so. As for fundamentalists I have no idea since they are apostates that would be a moot point. According to JFS it will be necessary for a short time, to fulfill the requirement for the restitution of all things.
The JS sermon quoted in the OP would seem to disagree.

It isn't doctrine. The current interpretation of this passage is as I mentioned. I doubt very much that there will be animal sacrifices. Lots of past leaders had many opinions on a variety of topics. If it hasn't been presented to the members as doctrine it is opinion.

I ran across this quote today and it blew me away:

Why did BY never go through with this? Can the Restoration go forward until animal sacrifice is reinstituted? Are there any fundamentalist groups that perform animal sacrifices?

-CK

Well, I for one am all for it!

In fact, I have a certain Springer Spaniel in my backyard that can be used just to test out the procedure. :P

To me, it seems like the atonement of Christ fulfilled all sacrifices that are to be done and that the only sacrifices that may be offered will probably be by the Jews in Israel that will eventually have the temple again in Jerusalem.

My personal opinion is that animal sacrifices are over, and that the "offering in righteousness" will consist of a broken heart and a contrite spirit. See 3 Nephi 9:19-20:

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.

and D&C 59:8:

8 Thou shalt offer a asacrifice unto the Lord thy God in brighteousness, even that of a broken heart and a ccontrite spirit.

In other words, it is not others we will offer in sacrifice, but ourselves.

DH

It isn't doctrine. The current interpretation of this passage is as I mentioned. I doubt very much that there will be animal sacrifices. Lots of past leaders had many opinions on a variety of topics. If it hasn't been presented to the members as doctrine it is opinion.

I just followed your counsel and every talk that I looked at quoted Joseph Smith and spoke of a single event of the sons of Levi making one last blood sacrifice unto the Lord. Malachi's prophesy says that the sons of Levi will make "an" offering unto the Lord. I don't think it will return as a regular practice but once for the sons of Levi. You are correct that temple work was part of the prophesy but there will also be one last blood offering made unto the Lord.

You might do a google on "red heifer",

for example http://www.bible-prophecy.com/redheifer.htm

I've heard people say (mostly charismatics) that the Messiah that will come to the temple following the red heifer sacrifice will be the antichrist, a false Messiah that will attempt to trick the Israeli people into thinking he is the Christ.

I just followed your counsel and every talk that I looked at quoted Joseph Smith and spoke of a single event of the sons of Levi making one last blood sacrifice unto the Lord. Malachi's prophesy says that the sons of Levi will make "an" offering unto the Lord. I don't think it will return as a regular practice but once for the sons of Levi. You are correct that temple work was part of the prophesy but there will also be one last blood offering made unto the Lord.

I agree. It will likely be a single event as a part of the Restoration of all things, and mark the end of the Levitical priesthood (or something like that).

Here's a quote from TPJS pgs. 172-173 as posted by Consiglieri in the other thread:

It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e.,] the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future; but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the Priesthood, or with the Prophets.

The offering of sacrifice has ever been connected and forms a part of the duties of the Priesthood. It began with the Priesthood, and will be continued until after the coming of Christ, from generation to generation. We frequently have mention made of the offering of sacrifice by the servants of the Most High in ancient days, prior to the law of Moses; which ordinances will be continued when the Priesthood is restored with all its authority, power and blessings.

Elijah was the last Prophet that held the keys of the Priesthood, and who will, before the last dispensation, restore the authority and deliver the keys of the Priesthood, in order that all the ordinances may be attended to in righteousness. It is true that the Savior had authority and power to bestow this blessing; but the sons of Levi were too prejudiced. "And I will send Elijah the Prophet before the great and terrible day of the Lord," etc., etc. Why send Elijah? Because he holds the keys of authority to administer in all the ordinances of the Priesthood; and without the authority is given, the ordinances could not be administered in righteousness.

It is a very prevalent opinion that the sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed. This was not the case; if you read Leviticus 2:2-3, you will observe that the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord, while the remainder was kept for the maintenance of the priests; so that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the altarâ??but the blood is sprinkled, and the fat and certain other portions are consumed.

These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the Holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.

It may be asked by some, what necessity for sacrifice, since the Great Sacrifice was offered? In answer to which, if repentance, baptism, and faith existed prior to the days of Christ, what necessity for them since that time? The Priesthood has descended in a regular line from father to son, through their succeeding generations. (See Book of Doctrine and Covenants.) (October 5, 1840.) DHC 4:207-212.

D&C 124:39 Therefore, verily I say unto you, that your anointings, and your washings, and your baptisms for the dead, and your solemn assemblies, and your memorials for your sacrifices by the sons of Levi, and for your oracles in your most holy places wherein you receive conversations, and your statutes and judgments, for the beginning of the revelations and foundation of Zion, and for the glory, honor, and endowment of all her municipals, are ordained by the ordinance of my holy house, which my people are always commanded to build unto my holy name.

Another quote from the other thread:

"The First Presidency of the Church once assured me in writing, through a member of the Twelve (in 1921 or 1922 as I remember), that they concurred with the Prophet's words on this point, [the continuation of animal sacrifice in the last days 'from generation to generation' TPJS p. 172] but added that in their opinion sacrifice would be on a more limited scale than formerly."

--Sydney B. Sperry, Doctrine and Covenants Compendium, SLC: Bookcraft, 1960, pg. 394.

I wrote there, commenting on the above quote:

It would have to be on a more limited scale than formerly, because in Ezekiel's vision of the restored temple in Ezekiel, chapters 40-48, the sacrifices are in the morning only, as opposed to morning and evening. In Joseph Smith's journal for April 2, 1843 (see An American Prophet's Record, ed. by Faulring) we find: "...the 144,000 sealed are the priests who are appointed to administer in the daily sacrifice." The Brigham Young quote from one of my above posts about priests offering sacrifices for themselves and the people would refer to the Day of Atonement or Yom Kippur sacrifices.

There's an 1845 quote from Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs (from BYU Studies, Spring 79, V. 19, No. 3, pg. 302) where she describes how an Elder Dunham "spoke of the nations sending up their bullocks for sacrifices or have no rain..." which is an allusion to this Bible passage about life during the millenium:

Zechariah 14:16-21

16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.

21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the LORD of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts.

Archived