Matthew 16:25 & Philippians 2:12

Thinking

Matthew 16:25

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Philippians 2:12

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

The possible contradiction I am questioning is about attitude. The focus (or attitude) portrayed in Matthew 16:25 is one of selflessness. The phrase "work out your own salvation" conveys self-focus.

If you continue reading in Matthew 16, verse 27 says, "For the Son of man shall...reward every man according to his labor."

Since a reward for this selfless attitude is offered, is it possible to be truly selfless if you know that a reward is waiting?

Matthew 16:25

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Philippians 2:12

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

The possible contradiction I am questioning is about attitude. The focus (or attitude) portrayed in Matthew 16:25 is one of selflessness. The phrase "work out your own salvation" conveys self-focus.

If you continue reading in Matthew 16, verse 27 says, "For the Son of man shall...reward every man according to his labor."

Since a reward for this selfless attitude is offered, is it possible to be truly selfless if you know that a reward is waiting?

Not to avoid answering the question, but just how does one "work out their salvation" and how does one "lose his life" for Christ's sake?

Not to avoid answering the question, but just how does one "work out their salvation" and how does one "lose his life" for Christ's sake?

I lost my life for a year and half in Oakland on my mission, and so I know what that scripture means very well.

Working out the Salvation I think is a byproduct of losing your life for God, it becomes a natural consequence as you are busy helping others work out their salvation through conversion. It is a struggle in every sense of the term "in fear and trembling".

To be honest, I don't think there is a contradiction at all. One has to do with working with and for others and Christ, and the other has to do with working on the self. It's like "Work". You have a job, and you have a family. Two seperate spheres of influence in which you must excell. They affect each other, but are different.

Archived