Facsimilie 2, Figure 4

Olavarria

fac2.gif

Fig. 4. Answers to the Hebrew word Raukeeyang, signifying expanse, or the firmament of the heavens; also a numerical figure, in Egyptian signifying one thousand; answering to the measuring of the time of Oliblish, which is equal with Kolob in its revolution and in its measuring of time.

I quote Michael Rhodes, translator of :

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/167919.ctl

"For the Egyptians, the mummufied hawk with outstreched wings represented either Horus Soped or Sokar(Bonnet, 1952, 723, 741-2; Helck and Otto, 1989, 5:1056, 1108). The outstreched wings show the connection with Horus, the personification of the sky(Helck and Otto, 1989, 5:1056)."

"The standard Egyptian word for 1,000 is...h3. However, Egyptian h3-b3-s(Khabas) means literally 'a thousand are her souls' and refers to the starry hosts of the sky (Erman and Grapow, 1971, 3:230,1)."

Taken from: http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=4622940

Rhodes's sources:

Bonnet, Hans, Reallexikon der Agyptischen Religionsgeschichte Berlin: De Gruyter, 1952.

Erman, Adolf, and Hermann Grapow. Woterbuch der Agyptischen Srache, 5 Vols. Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1971.

Helck, Wolfgang, and Eberhard Otto. Lexicon der Agyptologie. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1971-89.

Alternate interpretations

This figure represents the sun during the night

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/explore/...temple_mus.aspx

from zerahemla city limits

Joseph Smith said this figure: "Answers to the Hebrew word Raukeeyang, signifying expanse, or the firmament of the heavens; also a numerical figure, in Egyptian signifying one thousand; answering to the measuring of the time of Oliblish, which is equal with Kolob in its revolution and in its measuring of time."

This figure doesn't seem to be very common, but is interesting. Dr. Mercer said that it represents Sokar,12 probably based on the fact that this is a Hawk, and Sokar is often represented as a hawk. But this figure has some interesting features that's not common.

The outstretched wings indicates the realm of the spirit or afterlife, and since the lower-half of the figure is mummified, it seems as though this represents the deceased â?? in other words, the union of the deceased with the spiritual realm; the birth of the Horus in the afterworld.

Commentary

Notice that the Prophet doesnt tell us what the thing is but what it "answers to" in a semetic context, in this case hebrew "raqia" the expanse or firmament. He purposefully takes the figure out of its original egyptian context and brings it into a hebrew one. Hmmm. Then he explains that this figure is a numerical figure signifying 1,000. Though the we have yet to find an ancient equation of Horus-Sokar with 1000, two things are certain: 1) Horus was the personification of the sky, one of his eyes was the sun, another the moon and the starlit sky was his speckeled feathery chest. 2) The sky was associated with the number 1000 as "1000 in her souls". Im guessing in relation to the sky being personified as Nut. If a=b, and b=c, then A=C. If Horus is the Sky, and the Sky is 1000 in her souls; then Joseph Smith is on to something.

[quote name=

Taken from: [uwww.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aes/h/hypocephalus_of_the_temple_mus.aspx]http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/explore/...temple_mus.aspx

I really love the things you put up on post Amun, but Jeesh, sometimes they get really mind boggling!

Now i,m gonna have to think again, and i hate when that happens!

:P

Very cool. I have always loved the facsimilies in the Pearl of Great Price. Thanks for the info. :P

Dude, I'll give you a bump. Never let it be said I didn't help you out in your time of need. :P

Thanks, I needed that.

As for the rest of you all. When it comes to the relationship of the facsimilie sto the BoA, I belong to the semetic(or possibly hamitic) redaction school. Given the similiarity of the Prophet's explanation with what little we know of the egyptian understanding I think the facsimilies make a good visual aid.

Archived