Seriously No Politics ×

The Fellowship Of The Unashamed

Tanyan

While visiting some missionaries around the corner from me I saw this mini discourse found hanging on there wall [They gave me permission to take it and copy and return to them].

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

I am a part of the fellowship of the unasamed. the dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line.

The Decision has been made.

I AM A DISCIPLE OF JESUS CHRIST.

I won't look back. let up, slow down. or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded . I now live by Faith, lean on HIS presence, walk with patience. I am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power . My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the advesary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till he comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till he stops me. And when He returnes for His Own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My Banner will be clear.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of GOD unto Salvation to ever one that believeth... " Romans 1:16.

Author :- Elder Henery B. Eyring.

While visiting some missionaries around the corner from me I saw this mini discourse found hanging on there wall [They gave me permission to take it and copy and return to them].

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE UNASHAMED

I am a part of the fellowship of the unasamed. the dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line.

The Decision has been made.

I AM A DISCIPLE OF JESUS CHRIST.

I won't look back. let up, slow down. or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded . I now live by Faith, lean on HIS presence, walk with patience. I am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power . My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the advesary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till he comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till he stops me. And when He returnes for His Own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My Banner will be clear.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of GOD unto Salvation to ever one that believeth... " Romans 1:16.

Author :- Elder Henery B. Eyring.

Those are great thoughts. I was some how just thinking the opposite today. How so many times we are shamed into doing things. This is in the positive. So many times when we hear should, oughts and musts and it seems some can get overwhelmed and feel shame if they don't do it; but with this you can focus on the positives.

*FALSE ATTRIBUTION ALARM*

Hello. The quote is nice, but it has been attributed to many-a pastor, including Dr. Bob Moorehead ; and was not written by Elder Eyring.

A google search will yield the truth: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...f+the+unashamed

An unconfirmed story: A man was in a general meeting with Elder Eyring, asked him about the quote, and Elder Eyring said it was not his. (This was found in the google search as well.)

At any rate, it certainly wasn't Elder Eyring.

More, from a BYU board in the google results:

Q:Dear 100 Hour Board,

I've heard, and read copies of "the fellowship of the unashamed." some give credit to Elder Eyring for writing it, or at least quoting it. Was it at conference, or another fireside. What are the credentials on it?

A:Dear inquire,

Let's see what we can find out.

First off, it wasn't written by a general authority, or even a member of the Church. The author was Dr. Bob Moorehead, pastor of a Christian church in Washington state for over 25 years. Check out the two links below for my sources.

I could find no reference to the quote by Dr. Moorehead, or to him, anywhere on lds.org. I highly doubt it was quoted by a general authority, but if it was, it doesn't seem that it was published.

quote by Dr. Moorehead

book it comes from and a short bio

That'll cost you a chocolate-dipped sugar cone with two scoops of Rocky Road.

I'm a closet Henry B. Eyring junkie.

That's a very inspiring little discourse. The only drawback to this level of commitment is that if you're wrong, you've completely cut yourself off from ever knowing it, or correcting your way.

Imagine reading this same statement from a member of the ruling council of Jehovah's Witnesses, or maybe the leader of the Seventh Day Adventists. Scarier still, imagine this statement, mutatis mutandis, from the lips of someone like Osama bin Laden.

I'm not convinced that such an expression of absolute faith and conviction, and commitment to something is really praiseworthy, or wise.

*FALSE ATTRIBUTION ALARM*

Hello. The quote is nice, but it has been attributed to many-a pastor, including Dr. Bob Moorehead ; and was not written by Elder Eyring.

A google search will yield the truth: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=f...f+the+unashamed

An unconfirmed story: A man was in a general meeting with Elder Eyring, asked him about the quote, and Elder Eyring said it was not his. (This was found in the google search as well.)

At any rate, it certainly wasn't Elder Eyring.

More, from a BYU board in the google results:

ROFL. So there we have it, the quote didn't even come, probably, from someone who knew the "real" truth of the LDS church. So, whoever said it, would have rejected the missionaries if they'd visited him, because he was absolutely committed to the version of the "truth" he already believed in.

That's a very inspiring little discourse. The only drawback to this level of commitment is that if you're wrong, you've completely cut yourself off from ever knowing it, or correcting your way.

Imagine reading this same statement from a member of the ruling council of Jehovah's Witnesses, or maybe the leader of the Seventh Day Adventists. Scarier still, imagine this statement, mutatis mutandis, from the lips of someone like Osama bin Laden.

I'm not convinced that such an expression of absolute faith and conviction, and commitment to something is really praiseworthy, or wise.

Such is life in the pursuit of any belief, bag.

Again, it wasn't written by an LDS author; doesn't that illustrate your point better than hypothetically asking "what if it wasn't written by an LDS author"?

*ah, you caught on. Glad to know you always check your sources... [eye roll]

To the OP- can we get you to change the attribution so the rumor that Elder Eyring wrote the statement won't be perpetuated?

Thanks for the heads up, I am sure that our EV Friends here will be enthused that Elder Eyring has resurrected this quote so LDS missionaries can have it hanging in there apartement wall's to remind them of there Discipleship and commitment to Christ Jesus to become more orthodox in this area. So it Still stands as a classic quote for non LDS and LDS alike. May Grace Rain on all. In His Debt/Grace, Tanyan LDS JEDI KNIGHT.

Such is life in the pursuit of any belief, bag.

Again, it wasn't written by an LDS author; doesn't that illustrate your point better than hypothetically asking "what if it wasn't written by an LDS author"?

*ah, you caught on. Glad to know you always check your sources... [eye roll]

To the OP- can we get you to change the attribution so the rumor that Elder Eyring wrote the statement won't be perpetuated?

At the bottom of the paper it had : Elder Henry B. Eyring with no statement he was quoting another Christian individual, I suppose its like the childs game of "Telephone" wheras by the time the missionaries got the paper with the mini discourse and whose apartment I visited had no clue it was not a quote really from Elder Eyring. Sorry everyone. It still is an awsome statement however. In His Debt/Grace, Tanyan.

At the bottom of the paper it had : Elder Henry B. Eyring with no statement he was quoting another Christian individual, I suppose its like the childs game of "Telephone" wheras by the time the missionaries got the paper with the mini discourse and whose apartment I visited had no clue it was not a quote really from Elder Eyring. Sorry everyone. It still is an awsome statement however. In His Debt/Grace, Tanyan.

Can you edit the OP and change the attribution from Elder Eyring to the proper author? Thanks.

LifeOnAPlate, do you think the sentiments of the mini discourse are just fine if uttered by an LDS person? Is it only problematic if uttered by a non-LDS?

First, it wasn't uttered by an LDS person. Second, if things are based on truth I see no problem with applying them to my beliefs, even if they are misapplied elsewhere. I don't particularly like or dislike the quote. I am indifferent. You can relate to that, at least.

Knowing that the quote came out of the mouth of a non-LDS does not change how i feel about it in the least.

It's a quote about Jesus Christ and anyone who believes and accepts Him can express this level of committment to Him without taking anything away from my level of committment to Him-regardless of what church each of us belong to.

I do think it's a little sad though that you don't think a high level of committment to anything is praiseworthy or wise. Do you not have children? I thought you did but i may be remembering wrong.

:P

Hello. The quote is nice, but it has been attributed to many-a pastor, including Dr. Bob Moorehead

Bob Moorehead? He is the guy that was a big wig at Overlake Christian Church who was forced to resign in disgrace after having groped at least 17 male members of his congregation.

With this background, how do you think these two quotes stack up?

I won't look back. let up, slow down. or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure.

- Bob Moorehead-

And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

- Jesus-

T-Shirt

I do think it's a little sad though that you don't think a high level of committment to anything is praiseworthy or wise.

A high level of commitment is different than a total, unchangeable, irrevocable commitment. I have a high level of commitment to a lot of things, actually.

Do you not have children? I thought you did but i may be remembering wrong.

Yes, one daughter.

A high level of commitment is different than a total, unchangeable, irrevocable commitment. I have a high level of commitment to a lot of things, actually.

Yes, one daughter.

So, you have a high level of committment to your daughter but not a total, unchangeable, irrevocable commitment to her?

I don't mean that question to sound snarky-it's an honest question. Your statement before about such commitments being unwise and nonpraiseworthy seemed like a blanket statement with no qualifiers. I'm not sure if you meant it as such or meant that such commitments were such only sometimes.

So, you have a high level of committment to your daughter but not a total, unchangeable, irrevocable commitment to her?

I don't mean that question to sound snarky-it's an honest question. Your statement before about such commitments being unwise and nonpraiseworthy seemed like a blanket statement with no qualifiers. I'm not sure if you meant it as such or meant that such commitments were such only sometimes.

No, I don't have a total, unchangable, irrecovable commitment to her, actually. If I were to discover, someday, that she was actually a serial killer who tortured and devoured her victims, I'd have to turn her in to the authorities, even if that might lead to her conviction and execution by the state.

No, I don't have a total, unchangable, irrecovable commitment to her, actually. If I were to discover, someday, that she was actually a serial killer who tortured and devoured her victims, I'd have to turn her in to the authorities, even if that might lead to her conviction and execution by the state.

so you would then cease any commitment you had to her as her father?

Perhaps we are using the word 'commitment' differently here.

After all, being totally committed to your daughters welfare may infact mean turning her over to the police for a parent who believed in God, for example.

Can we get that attribution changed? I can just see this quote getting pasted into scriptures everywhere as attributed to Elder Eyring.

I let the LDS missionaries around the corner know that quote was NOT original to Henry B. Erying and to let other LDS missionaries know as well. In His Debt/Grace, Tanyan.

I let the LDS missionaries around the corner know that quote was NOT original to Henry B. Erying and to let other LDS missionaries know as well. In His Debt/Grace, Tanyan.

Excellente, but can you edit your original post to reflect the chanmge? It still says Elder Henerey [sic] B. Eyring. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, I am sure that our EV Friends here will be enthused that Elder Eyring has resurrected this quote so LDS missionaries can have it hanging in there apartement

Can you give the reference where Eyring "resurrected this quote". Sounds very Ev to me, and does not sound very much like something Eyring would quote.

Sounds verbose, and somewhat boastful to my ears. Along the lines of "My G-d is an awesome G-d" type of stuff. (see the other thread)

I like "Do it". Short, and to the point.

so you would then cease any commitment you had to her as her father?

Perhaps we are using the word 'commitment' differently here.

Indeed I think we are. You're trying to trap me into some kind of contradiction in light of my disapproval of the sentiments expressed in the statement quoted in the OP. First off, you'd have to be more specific in what exactly you're asking me. I would cease any commitment to precisely what? The OP is expressing a commitment to an idea, which can be true or false. Yet you are tempting me to deny a commitment to my daughter, who is a real, living human being. Could a human being be false? To what, precisely, would I be commiting myself in the case of my daughter, that is the same as the kind of commitment the OP quote is talking about? The bottom line is, Jesus Christ could actually not have existed, or if he did, he could possibly not have been the Son of God in the way Christians believe, and all that that entails. Could my daughter cease ever to have existed? Or to be my daughter? So I don't feel that that particular discussion is going to be very fruitful.

Indeed I think we are. You're trying to trap me into some kind of contradiction in light of my disapproval of the sentiments expressed in the statement quoted in the OP. First off, you'd have to be more specific in what exactly you're asking me. I would cease any commitment to precisely what? The OP is expressing a commitment to an idea, which can be true or false. Yet you are tempting me to deny a commitment to my daughter, who is a real, living human being. Could a human being be false? To what, precisely, would I be commiting myself in the case of my daughter, that is the same as the kind of commitment the OP quote is talking about? The bottom line is, Jesus Christ could actually not have existed, or if he did, he could possibly not have been the Son of God in the way Christians believe, and all that that entails. Could my daughter cease ever to have existed? Or to be my daughter? So I don't feel that that particular discussion is going to be very fruitful.

seth....

I was pretty clear in what i was asking (and no one is trying to trap you though maybe it's an easy mistake to make if those are the kinds of communications that a person is used to) and why.

As i said before, i asked because you made a blanket statement which said-

"I'm not convinced that such an expression of absolute faith and conviction, and commitment to something is really praiseworthy, or wise."

You did not clarify what the 'something' was-so i asked for clarification.

You never qualified your statement as only pertaining to a religion, a belief system, or to something that can't be proven etc.-so i asked for clarification.

When it began to look like we were not using the word 'commitment' in the same way, i acknowledged such was probably the case (leaving the window open for you to confirm or deny if that assumption was correct) and left it at that.

I did not attempt to tell you your use of the word was 'right' or 'wrong' but left it alone precisely BECAUSE i did not see the benefit in trying to force you into accepting my usage of the term as the correct way to use it and thus 'trap' you into seeing things my way.

whether or not one can have a knowledge of Christ with the same level of certainity that one can have a knowledge of a daughter is a completely different topic.

<_<

Archived