How Is An Apostle Chosen?

Mormon Vader

I was thinking today about how Apostles are chosen. Does the entire quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency have to meet together to cast their "vote" or can the Prophet choose the next member without other Apostles present?

I ask this because in the first chapter of Acts we read that the Apostles cast lots and the lot fell upon Mathias and he was then numbered among them. All of the Apostles were there. This leads into my Great Apostasy question...

When the Apostles in the early church were following the commandments of Jesus to preach the Gospel into all the world, did they ever all meet together again like they did when they chose a replacement for Judah? I have always wondered why the Apostles didn't meet together again to choose another Apostle when one of them was martyred, but then I started thinking...maybe they never could? Maybe when they finally got the news that one of their fellow Apostles was killed, they were already so far away from each other (or in prison, etc.) that they couldn't meet up to choose another Apostle and hence, the Great Apostasy lurked on the doorstep.

What do you think?

Yeah...but you need to flip your thinking. Such an obvious problem would have been foreseen...in other words, the apostasy happened because it was meant to happen. It as almost as inherit as the commandment to 'go and preach to all the world.'

PacMan

Yeah...but you need to flip your thinking. Such an obvious problem would have been foreseen...in other words, the apostasy happened because it was meant to happen. It as almost as inherit as the commandment to 'go and preach to all the world.'

PacMan

Agreed. The apostasy was meant to happen. But I am not convinced the Apostles in the early church knew it was going to happen so soon.

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

(Acts 1:6-7).

As far as they knew, they were supposed to ordain another apostle as soon as an opening came up either through martyrdom, death by natural causes, etc. Perhaps that was how the Apostasy was meant to start, the lack of being able to gather into a solemn assembly to choose successors?

Agreed. The apostasy was meant to happen. But I am not convinced the Apostles in the early church knew it was going to happen so soon.

Perhaps that was how the Apostasy was meant to start, the lack of being able to gather into a solemn assembly to choose successors?

I have a problem with this idea...I don't believe in determinism at all. In fact, I am pretty clear that LDS doctrine specifically prohibits determinism along with predestination. "Meant to happen" is very different than "forseen to happen." Understanding the historical context as Christ and God did much more than the apostles, they saw what would happen...but that doesn't mean they wanted it to happen or intended it to happen.

I have a problem with this idea...I don't believe in determinism at all. In fact, I am pretty clear that LDS doctrine specifically prohibits determinism along with predestination. "Meant to happen" is very different than "forseen to happen." Understanding the historical context as Christ and God did much more than the apostles, they saw what would happen...but that doesn't mean they wanted it to happen or intended it to happen.

It is simply a matter of observation. If I see a man rob a bank, does the fact that I saw him do it take away his agency? Does the fact that I see the event somehow turn into the fact that I intend the event to happen or that I actually caused it to happen?

God, who is outside of time as we know it, sees what we perceive to be the future, but that in no way diminishes our agency. Neither does the fact that God occasionally shows the future to prophets diminish the agency of those who, from our perception, may not even be born until many generations into the future.

Archived