Seriously No Politics ×

Favorite Joseph Smith Quote?

Joseph Antley

"One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may. "

That beautiful side of Mormonism roots which has been squashed, unfortunately.

My favorite Joseph Smith quote is the one where he said "in the future, Brent Metcalfe and Dan Vogel will present information which is not going to be correct, but what a fuss they will make, especially with some saints such as the likes of Kevin Graham." :P

Renegade, do you know the source of the Bushman quote in your sig?

TPJS,p. 316

I like the quote in your sig, br. Antley. Another one that I liked from brainyquote.com:

Never be discouraged. If I were sunk in the lowest pits of Nova Scotia, with the Rocky Mountains piled on me, I would hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I would come out on top.

A more light hearted thread. What's your favorite Joseph Smith quote(s)?

That he had as much right to be a false prophet as a true prophet:-)????

What kind of talk is that from a true prophet????

hint, hint:-)

That he had as much right to be a false prophet as a true prophet:-)????

What kind of talk is that from a true prophet????

hint, hint:-)

Anyone does.

Thank everyone for not saying something like "I, Nephi, having been etc.."

I will find mine tomorrow. I have a really good one.

Even though I don't believe he was a prophet, I do like the following quote by JS.

We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion. (D&C 121:39)
â??When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospelâ??you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the graveâ? (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 348).
Also see the exaltation chapter in the GP manual.

Since my ambition in life is to become a professional student, this falls right in line with it. I like having something to look forward too. :P

"The question is frequently asked, 'Can we not be saved without going through with all those ordinances?' I would answer, No, not the fulness of salvation. Jesus said, There are many mansions in my Father's house, and I will go and prepare a place for you. House here named should have been translated kingdom; and any person who is exalted to the highest mansion has to abide a celestial law, and the whole law too.

But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand.

I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen."

--Joseph Smith, Jan. 20, 1844, DHC 6:183-185, TPJS, pg. 331.

"If men do not comprehend the character of God they do not comprehend themselves."

-This is an amazing quote with amazing implications. Try reversing the order; it is a wonderful quote.

"It is the doctrine of the devil to retard the human mind and retard our progress by filling us with self righteousness. The nearer we get to our heavenly Father the more are we disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls to take them upon our shoulders and cast their sins behind our back." Thursday June 9, 1842. Source: Nauvoo Relief Society Minutes

Beautiful.

This isn't my favourite but one I like very much, and I can't resist:

"God suffered such kind of beings to afflict Job. . . . This poor man who professes to be much of a prophet, has no other dumb *** to ride but David Whitmer, to forbid his madness when he goes up to curse Israel; and this *** not being of the same kind as Balaam's, . . . he brays out cursings instead of blessings. Poor ***!" (History of the Church, vol. 3, p.228). Letter dated December 16, 1838

I wonder if Joseph Smith would have been an "Internet Mormon"?

"If men do not comprehend the character of God they do not comprehend themselves."

-This is an amazing quote with amazing implications. Try reversing the order; it is a wonderful quote.

Beautiful.

You're right. Do you happen to know the source for it?

"Ever keep in exercise the principle of mercy, and be ready to forgive our brother on the first intimations of repentance, and asking forgiveness; and should we even forgive our brother, or even our enemy, before he repent or ask forgiveness, our heavenly Father would be equally as merciful unto us."

History of the Church, 3:383.

Archived