The Sacrament Duties Of Priests, Teachers & Deacons

Thinking

Today in Sacrament meeting, a young man gave a talk on the Priesthood and listed the duties of the priest, teacher, and deacon. He used parts of D&C 20, but inserted "bless the sacrament" or "prepare the sacrament" or "pass the sacrament" where appropriate.

Knowing that he had inserted those phrases, I read the appropriate verses and found that the only phrase which is used in D&C 20 regarding the sacrament with respect to their duties is "administer the sacrament."

What's more interesting are the two verses in which it's used.

46 The priestâ??s duty is to preach, teach, expound, exhort, and baptize, and administer the sacrament...

58 But neither teachers nor deacons have authority to baptize, administer the sacrament, or lay on hands;

Now I am genuinely curious (not critical). Does anybody know if originally the priests did everything (prepare, bless, & pass) and it was restructured later?

Or if the way it is now is the way it was back in 1830?

I'm going to research this, but if anybody already knows, please respond.

The revelation on the priesthood was given early on, and the application of it didn't fully take place at once; it was implemented in increments throughout the first 10 years or so after the Church was organized.

Different priesthood quorums and duties were established officially as the Church membership grew, and the able members holding the priesthood increased. Bushman covers the developments well in Rough Stone Rolling, and believes, as I do, that all the proper functions of the Priesthood, though all make an appearance in the early revelations, may not have fully been understood by the prophet at the time the revelation was received; and if they in fact were understood by him, were not necessary to implement at the time.

In the first few years of the church we have Joseph going back and looking at the revelations, getting directions from them himself.

I am not certain when the official separation of duties was fully established as we have it today. I know developments have been made over time, and some of the duties as prescribed, and executed in the form we have today, were fully implemented along thew way; some in the east, and some after the saints had come west.

Today in Sacrament meeting, a young man gave a talk on the Priesthood and listed the duties of the priest, teacher, and deacon. He used parts of D&C 20, but inserted "bless the sacrament" or "prepare the sacrament" or "pass the sacrament" where appropriate.

Knowing that he had inserted those phrases, I read the appropriate verses and found that the only phrase which is used in D&C 20 regarding the sacrament with respect to their duties is "administer the sacrament."

What's more interesting are the two verses in which it's used.

Now I am genuinely curious (not critical). Does anybody know if originally the priests did everything (prepare, bless, & pass) and it was restructured later?

Or if the way it is now is the way it was back in 1830?

I'm going to research this, but if anybody already knows, please respond.

I know it only requires to be a preist,or elder, or high preist, to bless. I am an Elder and help bless and pass the sacrement

almost every week. Only the teachers and deacons cannott do the actuall blessing.

but they can do the passing.

:P

My daughters pass the sacrament nearly every Sunday. The Deacon passes it to them, and they pass it to me. The duty of passing the sacrament is an assignment. One that is spelled out in the Handbook as one of the duties of the Aaronic priesthood, but not one that has any basis in scripture. The actual administering of the Sacrament is an ordinance that requires the office of a Priest.

Similarly, there is nothing in the scriptures that states that a Deacon needs to be 12, a Teacher 14 and a Priest 16. Those practices weren't in place until the early part of the 20th century.

However, I think it is wonderful to see the step by step progression that the Young Men experience as they learn to fulfill priesthood assignments and callings. It is great to have inspired Prophets and Apostles who can see how the doctrines of the Church can be best applied for us in our days.

Archived