The Parable Of The Diary

Olavarria

There once was an Peruvian Indian named Jose Herrero. Jose was a farmer and he lived far up in the andes. He lacked television, radio, and internet. He spoke Quechua and enough spanish to get by and sell his potatoes.

Jose was a very religious man. He claimed to see angels during mass but most people thought he was either lying or crazy. Some thought he was a saint. One day, on May 30, 1996, a japanese business man came to his village and met with local farmers in regard to the potatoes the natives were growing up there. Jose met with the business man and during lunch he noticed the businessman had a small book in his brief case. Jose was entralled by the kanji(chinese characters used to write japanese).

The businessman said it was a very old book and was quite common in japan. Jose bought the book from the business man, though the business man was quite befuddled at the indians insistance on buying the book or why he even had interest in it.

Jose could read in Quechua and spanish, but not in japanese. He had seen japanese before but he couldnt read or speak it. When Jose got home his wife asked him why he spent so much money. He siad "God has shown me that this is the diary of Mother Cabrini, the first Gringo to be canonized a saint. She wrote this diary in japanese and God has given me the power to translate it." And so a few weeks later Jose got his followers to publish his translation of the Book of Cabrini, by her hand in japanese. He claimed to have translated the book by the power of God.

It told the story of a young girl named Maria who was born in Italy de los Lombardos. At 13, she was sent to Haralunos to study under nuns, and at 18 she was certified as a teacher. Later she contracted smallpox, and because of this, she was refused admission into that order and into the Canossians as well. Finally, she took religious vows in 1877, becoming the Mother Superior of an orphanage in Cotognono, where she was teaching. Although her lifelong dream was to be a missionary in China, the Pope sent her to New York City.

There, she obtained the permission of Archbishop to found an orphanage, which is located in NY. She was naturalized as an American citizen. Mother Cabrini died of complications from malaria in Chicago.

One day as Jose was preaching the Book of Cabrini, he was shot by one of his cirtics in the town square. His followers started a religious community based on the Bible and the Book of Cabrini. His wife supported herself meagerly by charging the curious $1 for a look at the book of Cabrini, as written in the japanese caracters. One day someone set fire to her mud hut and she nbarely escaped with her life. Every one thought the original japanese book that contained the long gone. In time, the Vatican would excommuncate all of the Cabrinians and they would have to flee to the Coast of Peru as the Andean natives drove them out.

100 years later a stonishing discovery was uncovered. Someone found the 45% of the original japanese book from which the translation of the BoC was produced. They knew it was the original for they found at the back of tattered remains the plans for a chapel to Mother Cabrini on the back of the cover, written in th ehand of Jose Herrero. They also found what came to be called the machu pichu japanese papers. Here they are:

鸡 Maria

肉 was born in Italy

和 de los Lombardos

一contracted smallpox

日lifelong dream was to be a missionary in China

本 permission of Archbishop

鸡 Maria

菜Ny Orphanage

A skilled linguist named Pedro Olavarria translated the book and published his findings in the East Asian Studies. Here is the translation:

"chicken meat and tofu, together, are japanese chicken dish"

The belivers in Cabrinism countered this assesment by saying that their are about 36 details The BoC contains that Jose couldnt have known and that the BoC actualy described the life of Mother Cabrini accuratly. Most american catholics dont even know who mother cabrini is, let alone an indian living in the andes. They also argued that they didnt have all of the BoC manuscript and that it was possible given about 30 years, to get a translation of her life connected to the cook book.

The Anti-Cabrinins said "we have the original, it says nothing of cabrini. It isnt even written in Japanese but in Chinese. Its a recipe for Chicken Soup."

The Carinins said "who cares about the methodolgy used to acquire the Diary. The answer is not in the kanji but in the diary itself. Does it accurtaly describe the life of mother Cabrini? Yes. Does it describe things about her life Jose couldnt have known? Yes. Therefore it is the Book Cabrini. How Jose got it is another quetsian".

Anti Cabrinins=read the chinese! Its a cook book!

Cabrinins=read the diary! It documents the italian american expierience!

The belivers in Cabrinism countered this assesment by saying that their are about 36 details The BoC contains that Jose couldnt have known and that the BoC actualy described the life of Mother Cabrini accuratly.

You forgot this part of the parable:

The 36 details come from legends told about Mother Cabrini 1500 years after she lived. Some of these details were available to Jose Herrero in the works of Hu Yu Josephus, an ancient Japanese historian that Jose and his friend Sancho Cowdery were reading at the time they translated the diary.

The 36 details come from legends told about Mother Cabrini 1500 years after she lived. Some of these details were available to Jose Herrero in the works of Hu Yu Josephus, an ancient Japanese historian that Jose and his friend Sancho Cowdery were reading at the time they translated the diary.

:P "Sancho Cowdery"? "Hu Yu Josephus"? Classic.

:P<_<:unsure: sweet

If time permits, either you or I should start a thread on the BoA parts not in the bible but attested in other ancient writings 1)that Joseph didnt have access to and 2)those he did have access to.

How Abram Our Forefather Went Out Of The Land Of The Chaldeans, And Lived In The Land Then Called Canaan But Now Judea

1. Now Abram, having no son of his own, adopted Lot, his brother Haran's son, and his wife Sarai's brother; and he left the land of Chaldea when he was seventy-five years old, and at the command of God went into Canaan, and therein he dwelt himself, and left it to his posterity. He was a person of great sagacity, both for understanding all things and persuading his hearers, and not mistaken in his opinions; for which reason he began to have higher notions of virtue than others had, and he determined to renew and to change the opinion all men happened then to have concerning God; for he was the first that ventured to publish this notion, That there was but one God, the Creator of the universe; and that, as to other [gods], if they contributed any thing to the happiness of men, that each of them afforded it only according to his appointment, and not by their own power. This his opinion was derived from the irregular phenomena that were visible both at land and sea, as well as those that happen to the sun, and moon, and all the heavenly bodies, thus: - "If [said he] these bodies had power of their own, they would certainly take care of their own regular motions; but since they do not preserve such regularity, they make it plain, that in so far as they co-operate to our advantage, they do it not of their own abilities, but as they are subservient to Him that commands them, to whom alone we ought justly to offer our honor and thanksgiving." For which doctrines, when the Chaldeans, and other people of Mesopotamia, raised a tumult against him, he thought fit to leave that country; and at the command and by the assistance of God, he came and lived in the land of Canaan. And when he was there settled, he built an altar, and performed a sacrifice to God.

2. Berosus mentions our father Abram without naming him, when he says thus: "In the tenth generation after the Flood, there was among the Chaldeans a man righteous and great, and skillful in the celestial science." But Hecatseus does more than barely mention him; for he composed, and left behind him, a book concerning him. And Nicolaus of Damascus, in the fourth book of his History, says thus: "Abram reigned at Damascus, being a foreigner, who came with an army out of the land above Babylon, called the land of the Chaldeans: but, after a long time, he got him up, and removed from that country also, with his people, and went into the land then called the land of Canaan, but now the land of Judea, and this when his posterity were become a multitude; as to which posterity of his, we relate their history in another work. Now the name of Abram is even still famous in the country of Damascus; and there is shown a village named from him, The Habitation of Abram."

That When There Was A Famine In Canaan, Abram Went Thence Into Egypt; And After He Had Continued There A While He Returned Back Again

1. NOW, after this, when a famine had invaded the land of Canaan, and Abram had discovered that the Egyptians were in a flourishing condition, he was disposed to go down to them, both to partake of the plenty they enjoyed, and to become an auditor of their priests, and to know what they said concerning the gods; designing either to follow them, if they had better notions than he, or to convert them into a better way, if his own notions proved the truest. Now, seeing he was to take Sarai with him, and was afraid of the madness of the Egyptians with regard to women, lest the king should kill him on occasion of his wife's great beauty, he contrived this device : - he pretended to be her brother, and directed her in a dissembling way to pretend the same, for he said it would be for their benefit. Now, as soon as he came into Egypt, it happened to Abram as he supposed it would; for the fame of his wife's beauty was greatly talked of; for which reason Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, would not be satisfied with what was reported of her, but would needs see her himself, and was preparing to enjoy her; but God put a stop to his unjust inclinations, by sending upon him a distemper, and a sedition against his government. And when he inquired of the priests how he might be freed from these calamities, they told him that this his miserable condition was derived from the wrath of God, upon account of his inclinations to abuse the stranger's wife. He then, out of fear, asked Sarai who she was, and who it was that she brought along with her. And when he had found out the truth, he excused himself to Abram, that supposing the woman to be his sister, and not his wife, he set his affections on her, as desiring an affinity with him by marrying her, but not as incited by lust to abuse her. He also made him a large present in money, and gave him leave to enter into conversation with the most learned among the Egyptians; from which conversation his virtue and his reputation became more conspicuous than they had been before.

2. For whereas the Egyptians were formerly addicted to different customs, and despised one another's sacred and accustomed rites, and were very angry one with another on that account, Abram conferred with each of them, and, confuting the reasonings they made use of, every one for their own practices, demonstrated that such reasonings were vain and void of truth: whereupon he was admired by them in those conferences as a very wise man, and one of great sagacity, when he discoursed on any subject he undertook; and this not only in understanding it, but in persuading other men also to assent to him. He communicated to them arithmetic, and delivered to them the science of astronomy; for before Abram came into Egypt they were unacquainted with those parts of learning; for that science came from the Chaldeans into Egypt, and from thence to the Greeks also.

http://www.interhack.net/projects/library/antiquities-jews/

iS THIS THE CORRECT SOURCE OF jOSEPHUSES anTIQUITIES?

iF SO, i BOLDED THE PARRALLELS i SEE, WHICH ARE NOT IN THE bIBLE BUT IN THE BoA

The Un-Parallels are in RED.

The 36 details come from legends told about Mother Cabrini 1500 years after she lived.

Perhaps I should have picked an older more ancient saint like St. Agnes , but you catch my drift.

Some of these details were available to Jose Herrero in the works of Hu Yu Josephus, an ancient Japanese historian that Jose and his friend Sancho Cowdery were reading at the time they translated the diary.
Which ones? I see the idea of Abraham as Astronomer and maybe the idea that the elements are "subservient" to God.

But Josephus's Abraham is totally different. He is a wandering philosopher. The BoA ABraham is a Prophet who knows God lives because he was saved by Him, and he belived before because He belived in the writings of the fathers, seeking the blessings of the fathers. Abraham recieved the astronomy he thought from God, Josephus's Abraham learned it from the Chaldeans.

iS THIS THE CORRECT SOURCE OF jOSEPHUSES anTIQUITIES?

iF SO, i BOLDED THE PARRALLELS i SEE, WHICH ARE NOT IN THE bIBLE BUT IN THE BoA

Those are the big ones. There's also this one:

The memory also of the Mesraites is preserved in their name; for all we who inhabit this country [of Judea] called Egypt Mestre, and the Egyptians Mestreans.

In the Grammar and Alphabet, Egypt is called Ah-mes-tras and the Egyptians Ah-mes-trahns.

I don't think that un-parallels demonstrate a lack of dependence. Joseph clearly weaved his own ideas together with bits and pieces of other narratives. He seems to have considered the biblical narratives corrupt, and he proceeded to correct erroneous details in them and to fill in gaps in the story. He did the same, I think, with Josephus: gleaned a few details from it, but constructed his own "restored" narrative.

Those are the big ones. There's also this one:

The memory also of the Mesraites is preserved in their name; for all we who inhabit this country [of Judea] called Egypt Mestre, and the Egyptians Mestreans.

In the Grammar and Alphabet, Egypt is called Ah-mes-tras and the Egyptians Ah-mes-trahns.

My cool Traditions of The Life of Abraham book is at my mommas house. So for the mean time Im outgunned. Wait for further details.

I don't think that un-parallels demonstrate a lack of dependence. Joseph clearly weaved his own ideas together with bits and pieces of other narratives.

How those "own ideas" match up with other ancient traditions, I will discuss later.

He seems to have considered the biblical narratives corrupt,

Seems to have? <_<

He did the same, I think, with Josephus: gleaned a few details from it, but constructed his own "restored" narrative.
You entitled to your opinion. But just wait till I get my cool books from my moms house. :P LOL

How those "own ideas" match up with other ancient traditions, I will discuss later.

I looked a while ago into some parallels drawn between the BoA and the Apocalypse of Abraham by Michael Rhodes. They were way overblown. It really turned me off to the parallels approach.

But, of course, I will consider any evidence you bring to the table. Hopefully you are a little more critical with your sources than Rhodes was.

EDIT: You can read some of my thoughts on a few of the alleged parallels in a conversation with Gazelam over on MDB. It starts about 2/3 of the way down the page here, and continues in a couple posts on the next page as well: http://www.mormonapologetics.org/discuss/v...8b9f91a070de568

-CK

Archived