Sons Of God In The Bible

David Bokovoy

As many know, the biblical expression â??sons of Godâ? refers to the gods of the divine council. A recent discussion concerning this issue has necessitated a brief summary of the grammatical meaning of this construct phrase.

Though considerable textual and archeological evidence exists to support the mainstream scholarly assessment that the â??sons of Godâ? provides a reference to the gods of the divine council, the newest blog entry attempts to lay out in some detail the argument from a purely grammatical perspective.

Unfortunately, not all of the proper transliteration values come through on the posting.

Happiness to All.

As many know, the biblical expression â??sons of Godâ? refers to the gods of the divine council. A recent discussion concerning this issue has necessitated a brief summary of the grammatical meaning of this construct phrase.

Though considerable textual and archeological evidence exists to support the mainstream scholarly assessment that the â??sons of Godâ? provides a reference to the gods of the divine council, the newest blog entry attempts to lay out in some detail the argument from a purely grammatical perspective.

Unfortunately, not all of the proper transliteration values come through on the posting.

Happiness to All.

Sons of God are they who have a testimony of Christ and have received the Spirit of prophecy. A true Son of God is person who is led by the Spirit of God. I hope this helps.

1....Revelation 1:9 - I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

2....Romans 8:14 - For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

What you have posted is not false...nor in error.....It would be an error to say that your definition is the only possible definition to Sons of God. One should try to stay away from absolutism. The Spirit of the law is all about being fluid and to be able to bend so that the greater Good is the result.

Peace be unto you

bert10

bert10,

You're right. Sons of God in the New Testament are those who are adopted into God's divine family through Jesus Christ. Of course, in the old Testament, "Sons of God" refer to the "gods" who work under the direction of "the Most High." The New Testament concept, therefore, implies that those who are redeemed by Jesus Christ become part of the divine council, "gods, even the sons of God."

Hello Bert10,

What you have posted is not false...nor in error.....It would be an error to say that your definition is the only possible definition to Sons of God. One should try to stay away from absolutism.

I absolutely disagree. I'm simply drawing attention to the fact that whether right or wrong, the mainstream scholarly assessment professed by Biblicists absolutely suggests that the â??sons of godâ?? in the Hebrew Bible always refers to the gods of the divine council.

My blog entry only lays out the grammatical reasons for interpreting the Hebrew phrase â??sons of Godâ? as â??godsâ? in the Old Testament. I have not presented the internal contextual, nor the external archeological/contemporary cultural evidence to support the mainstream assessment.

The fact that â??sons of Godâ? can refer to those who possess a testimony of Jesus in the New Testament is a different issue all together.

Given the greater biblical context (not to mention modern revelation), I believe, however, that those who possess the testimony of Jesus, which is the spirit of prophecy, do become members of the divine council of deities and are in fact â??godsâ? themselves.

Regards,

--DB

In reading in Karen Armstrong's book "A History of God," today and using it for my new podcast on the Nicene Creed, I noted that she consistently spoke of both Arius' and Athanasius's theological understanding of mankind achieving what God was. That is, deification. The achievement was entirely possible, according to their theological understanding, of man becoming God, with the same nature of immortality, impassibility, etc. It was rather startling, since this was the first time I have gone through Armstrong's book. I have also found this theme in the Early Church Fathers as well. I aim on bringing it out in the further podcasts. In other words, I ain't tellin ya right now, I'll keep the suspense so someone may listen to at least one of my podcasts..... :P

Oh all right...... they were the Nephilim, the fallen ones...... Margaret Barker has commented that Genesis 6 was the original story of the fall (Nephilim can mean "fall"), and that the Adam and Eve story is a late addition. It is virtually absent from any comment, analysis, or interpretation in the entire rest of the Old Testament, an interesting situation no?

Best,

Kerry

Anyone care to comment on how this might apply to Genesis Chap. 6? ...Anyone? ...David B.?

I believe that in its current form, Genesis 6 simply provides an Israelite folktale wherein the gods of the divine council reproduce sexually with mortal women. My views on this issue will be presented in some detail in a forthcoming article published in the FARMS Review.

Best,

--DB

I believe that in its current form, Genesis 6 simply provides an Israelite folktale wherein the gods of the divine council reproduce sexually with mortal women. My views on this issue will be presented in some detail in a forthcoming article published in the FARMS Review.

Best,

--DB

Argh, must... resist... subscribing... to FARMS Review!

"Like the sun in his meridian splendor, Joseph Smith shone a full man, at home, among his friends, in the fields, on the bench, or before the world; a pattern parent; a worthy friend; a model general; a righteous judge, and the wisest man of the age, sustained by truth, and "God was his right hand man". Surely, as one of the holy ones commissioned by his father among the royal seventy, when the high council of heaven set them apart to come down and "multiply and replenish this earth", he was the "last", and who knows but the "greatest", for he declared -we- knew not who he was! So, I may say, as the last is to be first, and the first last in eternal rotation, that Joseph Smith, who was Gazelem in the spirit world, was, and is, and will be in the endless progress of Eternity: -- the Prince of Light."

--W. W. Phelps (giving Joseph and Hyrum Smith's funeral sermon) BYU Studies: Winter 1983, Vol 23 No 1, pg. 8.

Interesting, huh?

who was Gazelem in the spirit world, was, and is, and will be in the endless progress of Eternity: -- the Prince of Light."

--W. W. Phelps (giving Joseph and Hyrum Smith's funeral sermon) BYU Studies: Winter 1983, Vol 23 No 1, pg. 8.

Interesting, huh?

My head is spinning. Isn't another word for "Prince of Light" Lucifer?

My head is spinning. Isn't another word for "Prince of Light" Lucifer?

Lucifer may have occupied that position before he fell:

"God sent Adam first and Eve. He placed them in the garden, then he gave Adam a commandment to people this earth, to multiply and replenish and told him not to eat of the tree of forbidden fruit. But the devil being one of the organization of the heavenly body, third in power, prince of the air, he had a spirit like Cain. He saw that Jesus was the most acceptable before the Father; he loved righteousness and hated iniquity. This gave a jealousy to him and he began to accuse the brethren which soon hurled him. Adam and Eve then being sent to this earth, Satan then went forth and told Eve that she should know good and evil if she eat of it. And she did so, for he told her many truth and some lies."

--Brigham Young, Autobiography of George Laub typescript, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU, pg. 23.

Archived