Chiasmus In The Bom:

Olavarria

Chiasmus, on purpose or on accident  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How did chiasmus come about?

• The ancient hebrew writers of the BoM purposefully used the form
    • Joseph Smith wrote the BoM and purposefully used the form.
    • The ancient hebrew writers of the BoM used the form accidentally. Using chiasmus as a rhetorical form was not their intent.
    • Joseph Smith wrote the BoM and used the form accidentally. Using chiasmus as a rhetorical form was not his intent.
    • What chiasmus?

I vote #1

Mosiah 3:18,19:

(Men will drink damnation to their souls unless)

(a) They HUMBLE themselves

(cool.gif and become as little CHILDREN

© believing that salvation is in the ATONING BLOOD OF CHRIST;

(d) for the NATURAL MAN

(e) is an enemy of GOD

(f) and HAS BEEN from the fall of Adam

(f') and WILL BE forever and ever

(e') unless he yieldeth to the HOLY SPIRIT

(d') and putteth off the NATURAL MAN

(c') and becometh a saint through the ATONEMENT OF CHRIST

(b') and becometh as a CHILD

(a') submissive, meek and HUMBLE.

Mosiah 5:10-12:

(a) And now it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall not take upon him the NAME of Christ

(cool.gif must be CALLED by some other name;

© therefore, he findeth himself on the LEFT HAND of God.

(d) And I would that ye should REMEMBER also, that this is the NAME

(e) that I said I should give unto you that never should be BLOTTED out,

(f) except it be through TRANSGRESSION;

(f') therefore, take heed that ye do not TRANSGRESS,

(e') that the name be not BLOTTED OUT of your hearts.

(d') I say unto you, I would that ye should REMEMBER to retain the NAME

(c') written always in your hearts, that ye are not found on the LEFT HAND of God,

(b') but that ye hear and know the voice by which ye shall be CALLED,

(a') and also, the NAME by which he shall call you.

Having found quite a few of them...I believe they are definitely intentional and too complicated and many for one man to have written.

I didn't vote because I think it is a toss up between 2 and 4. I believe that Jos Smith may have had a hand in writing parts of the book but there were also other contributors and it is hard to know their intent and writing styles.

Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon is only believable if the rest of the text also exhibits other attributes of Hebrew poetry such as parallelism (synonymous, antithetic, formal and climatic), metrical patterns (3+3 form or others), and (perhaps) strophic arrangement. Hebrew writers also employed technical devices that I would expect to see in the BOM, such as acrostic patterns alliteration, assonance, onomatopeia, and paranomasia. The Bible (as one example) is chock full of these devices and techniques - from war songs to dirges, love poens, hymns, laments, etc. If the BOM is actually rooted in the Hebraic language and tradition then poetic and literary elements wil be frequent and obvious.

Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon is only believable if the rest of the text also exhibits other attributes of Hebrew poetry such as parallelism (synonymous, antithetic, formal and climatic), metrical patterns (3+3 form or others), and (perhaps) strophic arrangement. Hebrew writers also employed technical devices that I would expect to see in the BOM, such as acrostic patterns alliteration, assonance, onomatopeia, and paranomasia. The Bible (as one example) is chock full of these devices and techniques - from war songs to dirges, love poens, hymns, laments, etc. If the BOM is actually rooted in the Hebraic language and tradition then poetic and literary elements wil be frequent and obvious.

But that is exaxtly what we do have in the BoM. I recommend you read:Finding Biblical Hebrew and Other Ancient Literary Forms in the Book of Mormon. This is a ggod place to start but..........

http://farms.byu.edu/publications/booksmain.php

...........I think a better read is: The Book of Mormon Text Reformatted according to Parallelistic Patterns by Donald W. Parry http://asiane.byu.edu/hebrew/index.php?con...le/donald_parry

The inclusion of one or two simple Chiasmus does not in and of itself indicate an ancient Hebrew literary text. But the BoM is replete with long and complicated ones. There is no indications that JS even knew such forms existed, let alone made any up.

Either he was such a lucky guesser(I'd hate to go against him at the BlackJack table) :P . Or he really did translate the BoM just as he said he did.

The inclusion of one or two simple Chiasmus does not in and of itself indicate an ancient Hebrew literary text. But the BoM is replete with long and complicated ones. There is no indications that JS even knew such forms existed, let alone made any up.

Either he was such a lucky guesser(I'd hate to go against him at the BlackJack table) <_< . Or he really did translate the BoM just as he said he did.

hmmmmmm :P

hmmmmmm :P

Have you read abou how each writer in the BOM has their own style - example would be Jacob:

The Gentle Power of Jacob

Chris Conkling, â??The Gentle Power of Jacob,â? Ensign, Feb 1992, 7

A Poet-Prophet

As powerful as Jacobâ??s words are when read, they come alive when spoken. Hearing the repetition of ideas and soundsâ??even in translationâ??allows us to appreciate Jacobâ??s distinctive and beautiful style. 4 Part of his style is that he uses words few other scriptural writers use. In some cases, he uses words no one else doesâ??or uses them in unique ways. This usage appears consistently throughout his widely separated writings and seems to be consistent with what we know of his life.

Among the words no one but Jacob uses are fatness; adieu; errand; heads (signifying â??headlinesâ?); delicate; lonesome; sobbing; and really. 5 Of the seventeen times phrases such as â??grieveth meâ? and â??burdeneth my soulâ? are used in the Book of Mormon, eleven are by Jacob. 6

Other words to which Jacob gives special emphasis are tender and tenderness (of twelve uses in the Book of Mormon, seven are by Jacob); 7chaste and chastity (two of three uses are by Jacob); 8pure in heart (four of five uses); 9 and anxiety (four of eight uses, including Jacobâ??s concern about stumbling because of his â??over anxiety for youâ?). 10 Only Nephi and Jacob use the word delighteth, often in such phrases as â??my heart delighteth.â? 11

Jacob uses some words in ways no other Book of Mormon writer uses them. For example, of thirty-one times wound or a variant is used, twenty-four refer to physical wounds. Only the seven used by Jacob refer to a â??wounded soul.â? 12 Further, Jacob is the only writer to use â??awful monsterâ? in a nonphysical sense. When addressing a congregation, other Book of Mormon speakers use the terms â??my peopleâ? or â??my childrenâ? (over 220 times). Jacob never uses these words in speaking (unless quoting the Lord). Instead, he uses â??beloved brethren,â? â??brethren,â? and â??belovedâ? (50 times). 13

Jacobâ??s style and vocabulary reveal his sensitive and humble heart. Viewing himself as no higher than his other â??beloved brethren,â? Jacob desires only to preach the â??pleasing word of Godâ? and not hurt with his words tender souls who are already wounded. Yet he obediently preaches with great diligence that which the Lord has directed him to preach because of his great anxiety for his brethren.

Jacob's words

Have you read abou how each writer in the BOM has their own style - example would be Jacob:

The Gentle Power of Jacob

Chris Conkling, â??The Gentle Power of Jacob,â? Ensign, Feb 1992, 7

A Poet-Prophet

As powerful as Jacobâ??s words are when read, they come alive when spoken. Hearing the repetition of ideas and soundsâ??even in translationâ??allows us to appreciate Jacobâ??s distinctive and beautiful style. 4 Part of his style is that he uses words few other scriptural writers use. In some cases, he uses words no one else doesâ??or uses them in unique ways. This usage appears consistently throughout his widely separated writings and seems to be consistent with what we know of his life.

Among the words no one but Jacob uses are fatness; adieu; errand; heads (signifying â??headlinesâ?); delicate; lonesome; sobbing; and really. 5 Of the seventeen times phrases such as â??grieveth meâ? and â??burdeneth my soulâ? are used in the Book of Mormon, eleven are by Jacob. 6

Other words to which Jacob gives special emphasis are tender and tenderness (of twelve uses in the Book of Mormon, seven are by Jacob); 7chaste and chastity (two of three uses are by Jacob); 8pure in heart (four of five uses); 9 and anxiety (four of eight uses, including Jacobâ??s concern about stumbling because of his â??over anxiety for youâ?). 10 Only Nephi and Jacob use the word delighteth, often in such phrases as â??my heart delighteth.â? 11

Jacob uses some words in ways no other Book of Mormon writer uses them. For example, of thirty-one times wound or a variant is used, twenty-four refer to physical wounds. Only the seven used by Jacob refer to a â??wounded soul.â? 12 Further, Jacob is the only writer to use â??awful monsterâ? in a nonphysical sense. When addressing a congregation, other Book of Mormon speakers use the terms â??my peopleâ? or â??my childrenâ? (over 220 times). Jacob never uses these words in speaking (unless quoting the Lord). Instead, he uses â??beloved brethren,â? â??brethren,â? and â??belovedâ? (50 times). 13

Jacobâ??s style and vocabulary reveal his sensitive and humble heart. Viewing himself as no higher than his other â??beloved brethren,â? Jacob desires only to preach the â??pleasing word of Godâ? and not hurt with his words tender souls who are already wounded. Yet he obediently preaches with great diligence that which the Lord has directed him to preach because of his great anxiety for his brethren.

Jacob's words

Kevin Barney wrote a really nice article in JBMS about parallel word pairs:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

I think comparing the use of chiasmus, word pairs and words between BoM authors could illuminate our understanding of authorship.

Kevin Barney wrote a really nice article in JBMS about parallel word pairs:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/pdf.php?fi...p;type=amJtcw==

I think comparing the use of chiasmus, word pairs and words between BoM authors could illuminate our understanding of authorship.

Thank you for that - I am going to print this one out for study.

I did a study a while back on Mornmon and Moronioes intros and endings here is part of it:

beginnings and endings from Mormon and his son Moroni.

Mormon 1

[1] And now I, Mormon, make a record of the things which I have both seen and heard, and call it the Book of Mormon.

Mormon 7

[10] And ye will also know that ye are a remnant of the seed of Jacob; therefore ye are numbered among the people of the first covenant; and if it so be that ye believe in Christ, and are baptized, first with water, then with fire and with the Holy Ghost, following the example of our Savior, according to that which he hath commanded us, it shall be well with you in the day of judgment. Amen.

Words of Mormon 1

[1] And now I, Mormon, being about to deliver up the record which I have been making into the hands of my son Moroni, behold I have witnessed almost all the destruction of my people, the Nephites.

[17] For behold, king Benjamin was a holy man, and he did reign over his people in righteousness; and there were many holy men in the land, and they did speak the word of God with power and with authority; and they did use much sharpness because of the stiffneckedness of the people --

[18] Wherefore, with the help of these, king Benjamin, by laboring with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul,

and also the prophets, did once more establish peace in the land.

Mosiah 1

[1] And now there was no more contention in all the land of Zarahemla, among all the people who belonged to king Benjamin, so that king Benjamin had continual peace all the remainder of his days.

[2] And it came to pass that he had three sons; and he called their names Mosiah, and Helorum, and Helaman. And he caused that they should be taught in all the language of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their fathers, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord.

== There are several records in Mosiah that were read to the people and included here:

THE RECORD OF ZENIFF Mosiah 9 - 22

Mosiah 9

[1] I, Zeniff, having been taught in all the language of the Nephites, and having had a knowledge of the land of Nephi, or of the land of our fathers' first inheritance, and having been sent as a spy among the Lamanites that I might spy out their forces, that our army might come upon them and destroy them -- but when I saw that which was good among them I was desirous that they should not be destroyed.

[2] Therefore, I contended with my brethren in the wilderness for I would that our ruler should make a treaty with them; but he being an austere and a bloodthirsty man commanded that I should be slain; but I was rescued by the shedding of much blood; for father fought against father, and brother against brother, until the greater number of our army was destroyed in the wilderness; and we returned, those of us that were spared, to the land of Zarahemla, to relate that tale to their wives and their children.

[3] And yet, I being over-zealous to inherit the land of our fathers, collected as many as were desirous to go up to possess the land, and started again on our journey into the wilderness to go up to the land; but we were smitten with famine and sore afflictions; for we were slow to remember the Lord our God.

Mosiah 22

[13] And after being many days in the wilderness they arrived in the land of Zarahemla, and joined Mosiah's people, and became his subjects.

[14] And it came to pass that Mosiah received them with joy; and he also received their records, and also the records which had been found by the people of Limhi.

[15] And now it came to pass when the Lamanites had found that the people of Limhi had departed out of the land by night, that they sent an army into the wilderness to pursue them;

[16] And after they had pursued them two days, they could no longer follow their tracks; therefore they were lost in the wilderness.

== An account of Alma and the people of the Lord, who were driven into the wilderness by the people of King Noah.

Comprising chapters 23 and 24.

[1] Now Alma, having been warned of the Lord that the armies of king Noah would come upon them, and having made it known to his people, therefore they gathered together their flocks, and took of their grain, and departed into the wilderness before the armies of king Noah.

[2] And the Lord did strengthen them, that the people of king Noah could not overtake them to destroy them.

Mosiah 24

[23] And now the Lord said unto Alma: Haste thee and get thou and this people out of this land, for the Lamanites have awakened and do pursue thee; therefore get thee out of this land, and I will stop the Lamanites in this valley that they come no further in pursuit of this people.

[24] And it came to pass that they departed out of the valley, and took their journey into the wilderness.

[25] And after they had been in the wilderness twelve days they arrived in the land of Zarahemla; and king Mosiah did also receive them with joy.

Mosiah 25

[1] And now king Mosiah caused that all the people should be gathered together.

[2] Now there were not so many of the children of Nephi, or so many of those who were descendants of Nephi, as there were of the people of Zarahemla, who was a descendant of Mulek, and those who came with him into the wilderness.

[3] And there were not so many of the people of Nephi and of the people of Zarahemla as there were of the Lamanites; yea, they were not half so numerous.

[4] And now all the people of Nephi were assembled together, and also all the people of Zarahemla, and they were gathered together in two bodies.

[5] And it came to pass that Mosiah did read, and caused to be read, the records of Zeniff to his people; yea, he read the records of the people of Zeniff, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until they returned again.

[6] And he also read the account of Alma and his brethren, and all their afflictions, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until the time they returned again.

[7] And now, when Mosiah had made an end of reading the records, his people who tarried in the land were struck with wonder and amazement.

[8] For they knew not what to think; for when they beheld those that had been delivered out of bondage they were filled with exceedingly great joy.

Mosiah 29

[47] And thus ended the reign of the kings over the people of Nephi; and thus ended the days of Alma, who was the founder of their church.

Alma 1

[1] Now it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, from this time forward, king Mosiah having gone the way of all the earth, having warred a good warfare, walking uprightly before God, leaving none to reign in his stead; nevertheless he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made.

[2] And it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of Alma in the judgment-seat, there was a man brought before him to be judged, a man who was large, and was noted for his much strength.

[16] And thus ended the thirty and ninth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

[17] And thus ended the account of Alma, and Helaman his son, and also Shiblon, who was his son.

Helaman 1

[1] And now behold, it came to pass in the commencement of the fortieth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, there began to be a serious difficulty among the people of the Nephites.

[2] For behold, Pahoran had died, and gone the way of all the earth; therefore there began to be a serious contention concerning who should have the judgment-seat among the brethren, who were the sons of Pahoran.

[24] And thus ended the ninetieth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

[25] And thus ended the book of Helaman, according to the record of Helaman and his sons.

3 Nephi 1

[1] Now it came to pass that the ninety and first year had passed away and it was six hundred years from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem; and it was in the year that Lachoneus was the chief judge and the governor over the land.

[2] And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.

== 3rd Nephi ends with a warning to us Gentiles:

3 Nephi 30

[1] Hearken, O ye Gentiles, and hear the words of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, which he hath commanded me that I should speak concerning you, for, behold he commandeth me that I should write, saying:

[2] Turn, all ye Gentiles, from your wicked ways; and repent of your evil doings, of your lyings and deceivings, and of your whoredoms, and of your secret abominations, and your idolatries, and of your murders, and your priestcrafts, and your envyings, and your strifes, and from all your wickedness and abominations, and come unto me, and be baptized in my name, that ye may receive a remission of your sins, and be filled with the Holy Ghost, that ye may be numbered with my people who are of the house of Israel.

4 Nephi

[1] And it came to pass that the thirty and fourth year passed away, and also the thirty and fifth, and behold the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ in all the lands round about.

And as many as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, were baptized in the name of Jesus; and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.

[2] And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

[48] And it came to pass that when three hundred and twenty years had passed away, Ammaron, being constrained by the Holy Ghost, did hide up the records which were sacred -- yea, even all the sacred records which had been handed down from generation to generation, which were sacred -- even until the three hundred and twentieth year from the coming of Christ.

[49] And he did hide them up unto the Lord that they might come again unto the remnant of the house of Jacob according to the prophecies and the promises of the Lord. And thus is the end of the record of Ammaron.

== Moroni takes over the record of his father Mormon

Mormon 8

[1] Behold I, Moroni, do finish the record of my father, Mormon. Behold, I have but few things to write, which things I have been commanded by my father.

[35] And these things are written that we may rid our garments of the blood of our brethren, who have dwindled in unbelief.

[36] And behold, these things which we have desired concerning our brethren, yea, even their restoration to the knowledge of Christ, are according to the prayers of all the saints who have dwelt in the land.

[37] And may the Lord Jesus Christ grant that their prayers may be answered according to their faith; and may God the Father remember the covenant which he hath made with the house of Israel; and may he bless them forever, through faith on the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Ether 1

[1] And now I, Moroni, proceed to give an account of those ancient inhabitants who were destroyed by the hand of the Lord upon the face of this north country.

[2] And I take mine account from the twenty and four plates which were found by the people of Limhi, which is called the Book of Ether.

Ether 15

[33] And the Lord spake unto Ether, and said unto him: Go forth. And he went forth, and beheld that the words of the Lord had all been fulfilled; and he finished his record; (and the hundredth part I have not written) and he hid them in a manner that the people of Limhi did find them.

[34] Now the last words which are written by Ether are these: Whether the Lord will that I be translated, or that I suffer the will of the Lord in the flesh, it mattereth not, if it so be that I am saved in the kingdom of God. Amen.

Moroni 1

[1] Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.

[2] For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.

Moroni 10

[32] Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

[33] And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

[34] And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen.

== You can tell here that Mormon had a hand in these records and not so much in those small plates of Nephi.

1 Nephi 1

[1] I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

[2] Yea, I make a record in the language of my father, which consists of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians.

1 Nephi 22

[30] Wherefore, my brethren, I would that ye should consider that the things which have been written upon the plates of brass are true; and they testify that a man must be obedient to the commandments of God.

[31] Wherefore, ye need not suppose that I and my father are the only ones that have testified, and also taught them. Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day. And thus it is. Amen.

2 Nephi 1

[1] And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of teaching my brethren, our father, Lehi, also spake many things unto them, and rehearsed unto them, how great things the Lord had done for them in bringing them out of the land of Jerusalem.

[2] And he spake unto them concerning their rebellions upon the waters, and the mercies of God in sparing their lives, that they were not swallowed up in the sea.

2 Nephi 33

[13] And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one crying from the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come.

[14] And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall condemn you at the last day.

[15] For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.

Jacob 1

[1] For behold, it came to pass that fifty and five years had passed away from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem; wherefore, Nephi gave me, Jacob, a commandment concerning the small plates, upon which these things are engraven.

[2] And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I consider to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi.

[3] For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates, and that I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation.

[4] And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people.

Jacob 7

[26] And it came to pass that I, Jacob, began to be old; and the record of this people being kept on the other plates of Nephi, wherefore, I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jerusalem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days.

[27] And I, Jacob, saw that I must soon go down to my grave; wherefore, I said unto my son Enos: Take these plates. And I told him the things which my brother Nephi had commanded me, and he promised obedience unto the commands. And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

Enos 1

[1] Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man -- for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord -- and blessed be the name of my God for it --

[2] And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.

[25] And it came to pass that I began to be old, and an hundred and seventy and nine years had passed away from the time that our father Lehi left Jerusalem.

[26] And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

[27] And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

Jarom 1

[1] Now behold, I, Jarom, write a few words according to the commandment of my father, Enos, that our genealogy may be kept.

[14] And I, Jarom, do not write more, for the plates are small. But behold, my brethren, ye can go to the other plates of Nephi; for behold, upon them the records of our wars are engraven, according to the writings of the kings, or those which they caused to be written.

[15] And I deliver these plates into the hands of my son Omni, that they may be kept according to the commandments of my fathers.

Then there is Omni which breaks down into smaller beginnings and ending with several authors.

Omni 1

[1] Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy --

[2] Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.

[3] And it came to pass that two hundred and seventy and six years had passed away, and we had many seasons of peace; and we had many seasons of serious war and bloodshed. Yea, and in fine, two hundred and eighty and two years had passed away, and I had kept these plates according to the commandments of my fathers; and I conferred them upon my son Amaron. And I make an end.

[4] And now I, Amaron, write the things whatsoever I write, which are few, in the book of my father.

[5] Behold, it came to pass that three hundred and twenty years had passed away, and the more wicked part of the Nephites were destroyed.

[6] For the Lord would not suffer, after he had led them out of the land of Jerusalem and kept and preserved them from falling into the hands of their enemies, yea, he would not suffer that the words should not be verified, which he spake unto our fathers, saying that: Inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall not prosper in the land.

[7] Wherefore, the Lord did visit them in great judgment; nevertheless, he did spare the righteous that they should not perish, but did deliver them out of the hands of their enemies.

[8] And it came to pass that I did deliver the plates unto my brother Chemish.

[9] Now I, Chemish, write what few things I write, in the same book with my brother; for behold, I saw the last which he wrote, that he wrote it with his own hand; and he wrote it in the day that he delivered them unto me. And after this manner we keep the records, for it is according to the commandments of our fathers. And I make an end.

[10] Behold, I, Abinadom, am the son of Chemish. Behold, it came to pass that I saw much war and contention between my people, the Nephites, and the Lamanites; and I, with my own sword, have taken the lives of many of the Lamanites in the defence of my brethren.

[11] And behold, the record of this people is engraven upon plates which is had by the kings, according to the generations; and I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written. And I make an end.

[12] Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness --

[13] And it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm, through the wilderness, until they came down into the land which is called the land of Zarahemla.

[14] And they discovered a people, who were called the people of Zarahemla. Now, there was great rejoicing among the people of Zarahemla; and also Zarahemla did rejoice exceedingly, because the Lord had sent the people of Mosiah with the plates of brass which contained the record of the Jews.

[15] Behold, it came to pass that Mosiah discovered that the people of Zarahemla came out from Jerusalem at the time that Zedekiah, king of Judah, was carried away captive into Babylon.

[16] And they journeyed in the wilderness, and were brought by the hand of the Lord across the great waters, into the land where Mosiah discovered them; and they had dwelt there from that time forth.

[17] And at the time that Mosiah discovered them, they had become exceedingly numerous. Nevertheless, they had had many wars and serious contentions, and had fallen by the sword from time to time; and their language had become corrupted; and they had brought no records with them; and they denied the being of their Creator; and Mosiah, nor the people of Mosiah, could understand them.

[18] But it came to pass that Mosiah caused that they should be taught in his language. And it came to pass that after they were taught in the language of Mosiah, Zarahemla gave a genealogy of his fathers, according to his memory; and they are written, but not in these plates.

[19] And it came to pass that the people of Zarahemla, and of Mosiah, did unite together; and Mosiah was appointed to be their king.

[20] And it came to pass in the days of Mosiah, there was a large stone brought unto him with engravings on it; and he did interpret the engravings by the gift and power of God.

[21] And they gave an account of one Coriantumr, and the slain of his people. And Coriantumr was discovered by the people of Zarahemla; and he dwelt with them for the space of nine moons.

[22] It also spake a few words concerning his fathers. And his first parents came out from the tower, at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people; and the severity of the Lord fell upon them according to his judgments, which are just; and their bones lay scattered in the land northward.

[23] Behold, I, Amaleki, was born in the days of Mosiah; and I have lived to see his death; and Benjamin, his son, reigneth in his stead.

[24] And behold, I have seen, in the days of king Benjamin, a serious war and much bloodshed between the Nephites and the Lamanites. But behold, the Nephites did obtain much advantage over them; yea, insomuch that king Benjamin did drive them out of the land of Zarahemla.

[25] And it came to pass that I began to be old; and, having no seed, and knowing king Benjamin to be a just man before the Lord, wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates unto him, exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord; and that which is evil cometh from the devil.

[26] And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved.

[27] And now I would speak somewhat concerning a certain number who went up into the wilderness to return to the land of Nephi; for there was a large number who were desirous to possess the land of their inheritance.

[28] Wherefore, they went up into the wilderness. And their leader being a strong and mighty man, and a stiffnecked man, wherefore he caused a contention among them; and they were all slain, save fifty, in the wilderness, and they returned again to the land of Zarahemla.

[29] And it came to pass that they also took others to a considerable number, and took their journey again into the wilderness.

[30] And I, Amaleki, had a brother, who also went with them; and I have not since known concerning them. And I am about to lie down in my grave; and these plates are full. And I make an end of my speaking.

http://scriptures.lds.org/omni/contents

== all in all most of the time you can see when Mormon has his hand in the records.

A pair of brothers -- for what it's worth, both physics professors with doctorates from elite graduate schools -- published an article on this very topic a few years ago:

Boyd F. Edwards and W. Farrell Edwards. "Does Chiasmus Appear in the Book of Mormon by Chance?" BYU Studies 43/2 (2004).

Their conclusion, on statistical grounds, is that chiasmus in the Book of Mormon is overwhelmingly likely to be intentional.

I voted for #1, but with this condition...

that chiasmus be included in a longer list of parallelistic structures

found in the BoM.

Bernard

Thank you for that - I am going to print this one out for study.

I did a study a while back on Mornmon and Moronioes intros and endings here is part of it:

beginnings and endings from Mormon and his son Moroni.

Mormon 1

[1] And now I, Mormon, make a record of the things which I have both seen and heard, and call it the Book of Mormon.

Mormon 7

[10] And ye will also know that ye are a remnant of the seed of Jacob; therefore ye are numbered among the people of the first covenant; and if it so be that ye believe in Christ, and are baptized, first with water, then with fire and with the Holy Ghost, following the example of our Savior, according to that which he hath commanded us, it shall be well with you in the day of judgment. Amen.

Words of Mormon 1

[1] And now I, Mormon, being about to deliver up the record which I have been making into the hands of my son Moroni, behold I have witnessed almost all the destruction of my people, the Nephites.

[17] For behold, king Benjamin was a holy man, and he did reign over his people in righteousness; and there were many holy men in the land, and they did speak the word of God with power and with authority; and they did use much sharpness because of the stiffneckedness of the people --

[18] Wherefore, with the help of these, king Benjamin, by laboring with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul,

and also the prophets, did once more establish peace in the land.

Mosiah 1

[1] And now there was no more contention in all the land of Zarahemla, among all the people who belonged to king Benjamin, so that king Benjamin had continual peace all the remainder of his days.

[2] And it came to pass that he had three sons; and he called their names Mosiah, and Helorum, and Helaman. And he caused that they should be taught in all the language of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their fathers, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord.

== There are several records in Mosiah that were read to the people and included here:

THE RECORD OF ZENIFF Mosiah 9 - 22

Mosiah 9

[1] I, Zeniff, having been taught in all the language of the Nephites, and having had a knowledge of the land of Nephi, or of the land of our fathers' first inheritance, and having been sent as a spy among the Lamanites that I might spy out their forces, that our army might come upon them and destroy them -- but when I saw that which was good among them I was desirous that they should not be destroyed.

[2] Therefore, I contended with my brethren in the wilderness for I would that our ruler should make a treaty with them; but he being an austere and a bloodthirsty man commanded that I should be slain; but I was rescued by the shedding of much blood; for father fought against father, and brother against brother, until the greater number of our army was destroyed in the wilderness; and we returned, those of us that were spared, to the land of Zarahemla, to relate that tale to their wives and their children.

[3] And yet, I being over-zealous to inherit the land of our fathers, collected as many as were desirous to go up to possess the land, and started again on our journey into the wilderness to go up to the land; but we were smitten with famine and sore afflictions; for we were slow to remember the Lord our God.

Mosiah 22

[13] And after being many days in the wilderness they arrived in the land of Zarahemla, and joined Mosiah's people, and became his subjects.

[14] And it came to pass that Mosiah received them with joy; and he also received their records, and also the records which had been found by the people of Limhi.

[15] And now it came to pass when the Lamanites had found that the people of Limhi had departed out of the land by night, that they sent an army into the wilderness to pursue them;

[16] And after they had pursued them two days, they could no longer follow their tracks; therefore they were lost in the wilderness.

== An account of Alma and the people of the Lord, who were driven into the wilderness by the people of King Noah.

Comprising chapters 23 and 24.

[1] Now Alma, having been warned of the Lord that the armies of king Noah would come upon them, and having made it known to his people, therefore they gathered together their flocks, and took of their grain, and departed into the wilderness before the armies of king Noah.

[2] And the Lord did strengthen them, that the people of king Noah could not overtake them to destroy them.

Mosiah 24

[23] And now the Lord said unto Alma: Haste thee and get thou and this people out of this land, for the Lamanites have awakened and do pursue thee; therefore get thee out of this land, and I will stop the Lamanites in this valley that they come no further in pursuit of this people.

[24] And it came to pass that they departed out of the valley, and took their journey into the wilderness.

[25] And after they had been in the wilderness twelve days they arrived in the land of Zarahemla; and king Mosiah did also receive them with joy.

Mosiah 25

[1] And now king Mosiah caused that all the people should be gathered together.

[2] Now there were not so many of the children of Nephi, or so many of those who were descendants of Nephi, as there were of the people of Zarahemla, who was a descendant of Mulek, and those who came with him into the wilderness.

[3] And there were not so many of the people of Nephi and of the people of Zarahemla as there were of the Lamanites; yea, they were not half so numerous.

[4] And now all the people of Nephi were assembled together, and also all the people of Zarahemla, and they were gathered together in two bodies.

[5] And it came to pass that Mosiah did read, and caused to be read, the records of Zeniff to his people; yea, he read the records of the people of Zeniff, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until they returned again.

[6] And he also read the account of Alma and his brethren, and all their afflictions, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until the time they returned again.

[7] And now, when Mosiah had made an end of reading the records, his people who tarried in the land were struck with wonder and amazement.

[8] For they knew not what to think; for when they beheld those that had been delivered out of bondage they were filled with exceedingly great joy.

Mosiah 29

[47] And thus ended the reign of the kings over the people of Nephi; and thus ended the days of Alma, who was the founder of their church.

Alma 1

[1] Now it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, from this time forward, king Mosiah having gone the way of all the earth, having warred a good warfare, walking uprightly before God, leaving none to reign in his stead; nevertheless he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made.

[2] And it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of Alma in the judgment-seat, there was a man brought before him to be judged, a man who was large, and was noted for his much strength.

[16] And thus ended the thirty and ninth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

[17] And thus ended the account of Alma, and Helaman his son, and also Shiblon, who was his son.

Helaman 1

[1] And now behold, it came to pass in the commencement of the fortieth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, there began to be a serious difficulty among the people of the Nephites.

[2] For behold, Pahoran had died, and gone the way of all the earth; therefore there began to be a serious contention concerning who should have the judgment-seat among the brethren, who were the sons of Pahoran.

[24] And thus ended the ninetieth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.

[25] And thus ended the book of Helaman, according to the record of Helaman and his sons.

3 Nephi 1

[1] Now it came to pass that the ninety and first year had passed away and it was six hundred years from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem; and it was in the year that Lachoneus was the chief judge and the governor over the land.

[2] And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.

== 3rd Nephi ends with a warning to us Gentiles:

3 Nephi 30

[1] Hearken, O ye Gentiles, and hear the words of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, which he hath commanded me that I should speak concerning you, for, behold he commandeth me that I should write, saying:

[2] Turn, all ye Gentiles, from your wicked ways; and repent of your evil doings, of your lyings and deceivings, and of your whoredoms, and of your secret abominations, and your idolatries, and of your murders, and your priestcrafts, and your envyings, and your strifes, and from all your wickedness and abominations, and come unto me, and be baptized in my name, that ye may receive a remission of your sins, and be filled with the Holy Ghost, that ye may be numbered with my people who are of the house of Israel.

4 Nephi

[1] And it came to pass that the thirty and fourth year passed away, and also the thirty and fifth, and behold the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ in all the lands round about.

And as many as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, were baptized in the name of Jesus; and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.

[2] And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

[48] And it came to pass that when three hundred and twenty years had passed away, Ammaron, being constrained by the Holy Ghost, did hide up the records which were sacred -- yea, even all the sacred records which had been handed down from generation to generation, which were sacred -- even until the three hundred and twentieth year from the coming of Christ.

[49] And he did hide them up unto the Lord that they might come again unto the remnant of the house of Jacob according to the prophecies and the promises of the Lord. And thus is the end of the record of Ammaron.

== Moroni takes over the record of his father Mormon

Mormon 8

[1] Behold I, Moroni, do finish the record of my father, Mormon. Behold, I have but few things to write, which things I have been commanded by my father.

[35] And these things are written that we may rid our garments of the blood of our brethren, who have dwindled in unbelief.

[36] And behold, these things which we have desired concerning our brethren, yea, even their restoration to the knowledge of Christ, are according to the prayers of all the saints who have dwelt in the land.

[37] And may the Lord Jesus Christ grant that their prayers may be answered according to their faith; and may God the Father remember the covenant which he hath made with the house of Israel; and may he bless them forever, through faith on the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Ether 1

[1] And now I, Moroni, proceed to give an account of those ancient inhabitants who were destroyed by the hand of the Lord upon the face of this north country.

[2] And I take mine account from the twenty and four plates which were found by the people of Limhi, which is called the Book of Ether.

Ether 15

[33] And the Lord spake unto Ether, and said unto him: Go forth. And he went forth, and beheld that the words of the Lord had all been fulfilled; and he finished his record; (and the hundredth part I have not written) and he hid them in a manner that the people of Limhi did find them.

[34] Now the last words which are written by Ether are these: Whether the Lord will that I be translated, or that I suffer the will of the Lord in the flesh, it mattereth not, if it so be that I am saved in the kingdom of God. Amen.

Moroni 1

[1] Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.

[2] For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.

Moroni 10

[32] Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

[33] And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

[34] And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen.

== You can tell here that Mormon had a hand in these records and not so much in those small plates of Nephi.

1 Nephi 1

[1] I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

[2] Yea, I make a record in the language of my father, which consists of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians.

1 Nephi 22

[30] Wherefore, my brethren, I would that ye should consider that the things which have been written upon the plates of brass are true; and they testify that a man must be obedient to the commandments of God.

[31] Wherefore, ye need not suppose that I and my father are the only ones that have testified, and also taught them. Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day. And thus it is. Amen.

2 Nephi 1

[1] And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of teaching my brethren, our father, Lehi, also spake many things unto them, and rehearsed unto them, how great things the Lord had done for them in bringing them out of the land of Jerusalem.

[2] And he spake unto them concerning their rebellions upon the waters, and the mercies of God in sparing their lives, that they were not swallowed up in the sea.

2 Nephi 33

[13] And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one crying from the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come.

[14] And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall condemn you at the last day.

[15] For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.

Jacob 1

[1] For behold, it came to pass that fifty and five years had passed away from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem; wherefore, Nephi gave me, Jacob, a commandment concerning the small plates, upon which these things are engraven.

[2] And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I consider to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi.

[3] For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates, and that I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation.

[4] And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people.

Jacob 7

[26] And it came to pass that I, Jacob, began to be old; and the record of this people being kept on the other plates of Nephi, wherefore, I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jerusalem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days.

[27] And I, Jacob, saw that I must soon go down to my grave; wherefore, I said unto my son Enos: Take these plates. And I told him the things which my brother Nephi had commanded me, and he promised obedience unto the commands. And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

Enos 1

[1] Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man -- for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord -- and blessed be the name of my God for it --

[2] And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.

[25] And it came to pass that I began to be old, and an hundred and seventy and nine years had passed away from the time that our father Lehi left Jerusalem.

[26] And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

[27] And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

Jarom 1

[1] Now behold, I, Jarom, write a few words according to the commandment of my father, Enos, that our genealogy may be kept.

[14] And I, Jarom, do not write more, for the plates are small. But behold, my brethren, ye can go to the other plates of Nephi; for behold, upon them the records of our wars are engraven, according to the writings of the kings, or those which they caused to be written.

[15] And I deliver these plates into the hands of my son Omni, that they may be kept according to the commandments of my fathers.

Then there is Omni which breaks down into smaller beginnings and ending with several authors.

Omni 1

[1] Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy --

[2] Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.

[3] And it came to pass that two hundred and seventy and six years had passed away, and we had many seasons of peace; and we had many seasons of serious war and bloodshed. Yea, and in fine, two hundred and eighty and two years had passed away, and I had kept these plates according to the commandments of my fathers; and I conferred them upon my son Amaron. And I make an end.

[4] And now I, Amaron, write the things whatsoever I write, which are few, in the book of my father.

[5] Behold, it came to pass that three hundred and twenty years had passed away, and the more wicked part of the Nephites were destroyed.

[6] For the Lord would not suffer, after he had led them out of the land of Jerusalem and kept and preserved them from falling into the hands of their enemies, yea, he would not suffer that the words should not be verified, which he spake unto our fathers, saying that: Inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall not prosper in the land.

[7] Wherefore, the Lord did visit them in great judgment; nevertheless, he did spare the righteous that they should not perish, but did deliver them out of the hands of their enemies.

[8] And it came to pass that I did deliver the plates unto my brother Chemish.

[9] Now I, Chemish, write what few things I write, in the same book with my brother; for behold, I saw the last which he wrote, that he wrote it with his own hand; and he wrote it in the day that he delivered them unto me. And after this manner we keep the records, for it is according to the commandments of our fathers. And I make an end.

[10] Behold, I, Abinadom, am the son of Chemish. Behold, it came to pass that I saw much war and contention between my people, the Nephites, and the Lamanites; and I, with my own sword, have taken the lives of many of the Lamanites in the defence of my brethren.

[11] And behold, the record of this people is engraven upon plates which is had by the kings, according to the generations; and I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written. And I make an end.

[12] Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness --

[13] And it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm, through the wilderness, until they came down into the land which is called the land of Zarahemla.

[14] And they discovered a people, who were called the people of Zarahemla. Now, there was great rejoicing among the people of Zarahemla; and also Zarahemla did rejoice exceedingly, because the Lord had sent the people of Mosiah with the plates of brass which contained the record of the Jews.

[15] Behold, it came to pass that Mosiah discovered that the people of Zarahemla came out from Jerusalem at the time that Zedekiah, king of Judah, was carried away captive into Babylon.

[16] And they journeyed in the wilderness, and were brought by the hand of the Lord across the great waters, into the land where Mosiah discovered them; and they had dwelt there from that time forth.

[17] And at the time that Mosiah discovered them, they had become exceedingly numerous. Nevertheless, they had had many wars and serious contentions, and had fallen by the sword from time to time; and their language had become corrupted; and they had brought no records with them; and they denied the being of their Creator; and Mosiah, nor the people of Mosiah, could understand them.

[18] But it came to pass that Mosiah caused that they should be taught in his language. And it came to pass that after they were taught in the language of Mosiah, Zarahemla gave a genealogy of his fathers, according to his memory; and they are written, but not in these plates.

[19] And it came to pass that the people of Zarahemla, and of Mosiah, did unite together; and Mosiah was appointed to be their king.

[20] And it came to pass in the days of Mosiah, there was a large stone brought unto him with engravings on it; and he did interpret the engravings by the gift and power of God.

[21] And they gave an account of one Coriantumr, and the slain of his people. And Coriantumr was discovered by the people of Zarahemla; and he dwelt with them for the space of nine moons.

[22] It also spake a few words concerning his fathers. And his first parents came out from the tower, at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people; and the severity of the Lord fell upon them according to his judgments, which are just; and their bones lay scattered in the land northward.

[23] Behold, I, Amaleki, was born in the days of Mosiah; and I have lived to see his death; and Benjamin, his son, reigneth in his stead.

[24] And behold, I have seen, in the days of king Benjamin, a serious war and much bloodshed between the Nephites and the Lamanites. But behold, the Nephites did obtain much advantage over them; yea, insomuch that king Benjamin did drive them out of the land of Zarahemla.

[25] And it came to pass that I began to be old; and, having no seed, and knowing king Benjamin to be a just man before the Lord, wherefore, I shall deliver up these plates unto him, exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord; and that which is evil cometh from the devil.

[26] And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved.

[27] And now I would speak somewhat concerning a certain number who went up into the wilderness to return to the land of Nephi; for there was a large number who were desirous to possess the land of their inheritance.

[28] Wherefore, they went up into the wilderness. And their leader being a strong and mighty man, and a stiffnecked man, wherefore he caused a contention among them; and they were all slain, save fifty, in the wilderness, and they returned again to the land of Zarahemla.

[29] And it came to pass that they also took others to a considerable number, and took their journey again into the wilderness.

[30] And I, Amaleki, had a brother, who also went with them; and I have not since known concerning them. And I am about to lie down in my grave; and these plates are full. And I make an end of my speaking.

http://scriptures.lds.org/omni/contents

== all in all most of the time you can see when Mormon has his hand in the records.

:P

Archived