Seriously No Politics ×

Adam-god Theory/theories

Olavarria

I need to amend your initial post: The JoD are stenographies of discourses from BY and others. That being said, they were not compiled by BY, although the editor be BY Junior. BY said (I'm too lazy to look it up) that he's never given a discourse that could not be considered doctrine, but he'd first want to edit it and approve. Not only does the Adma-god Theory not hold this criteria, but it is very much alone in a huge compilation. In other words, such an anomaly needs to be looked at with a grain of skepticism, be it authentic or not, and issued as 'alleged.'

:P

PacMan

I need to amend your initial post: The JoD are stenographies of discourses from BY and others. That being said, they were not compiled by BY, although the editor be BY Junior. BY said (I'm too lazy to look it up) that he's never given a discourse that could not be considered doctrine, but he'd first want to edit it and approve. Not only does the Adma-god Theory not hold this criteria, but it is very much alone in a huge compilation. In other words, such an anomaly needs to be looked at with a grain of skepticism, be it authentic or not, and issued as 'alleged.'

PacMan

I disagree, The Adam/God doctrines were published in other CHURCH publication, not only in the JoD.

They were also published in England with plenty of ooportunities to edit or remove false teachings.

PacMan

Amen!!!!

All my life I have heard, Adam-god, Adam-god, blah,blah,blah. I know of at least 3 Adam-god theories.

Which is the one BY belived in?

No one can give a consistant answer. The fundies have developed one, and that is what I regect.

I disagree, The Adam/God doctrines were published in other CHURCH publication, not only in the JoD.

They were also published in England with plenty of ooportunities to edit or remove false teachings.

ok.

so what is the AGT?

It is somewhat confusing, but I think it goes something like this:

1- Elohim is Adam's Spirit Father but not ours.

2- Adam and Eve and other of Adam's plural wives lived a mortal life on another world and were resurrected, exalted beings.

3- Jesus and we are the spirit children of Adam.

4- Elohim chose Adam to create a world for his children.

5- Adam came to this world with Even and fell in order to take on mortal bodies and bring his children into mortality.

6- After his death. he was resurrected and taken back to his place in the Celestial Kingdom.

7- We too will have the opportunity to become Adam's and Eve's and create worlds for our spirit children.

I think that is about right.

T-Shirt

Neophyte,

You disagree with what? It WAS a stenography, period. And of COURSE they were published in England--that's what the JoD was for, so others could read the words of the Brethren whom didn't live in the vicinity. Moreover, there wasn't much reason to edit anything...the editing was done by the stenographers. You are making a rather foolish necessity, that BY actually was somehow obligated to edit the stenographies.

I believe it was President Kimball that came out and put a stamp of death on it, basically saying ignore it, because it's not right. Moreover, the Church has nothing to "remove." It is stenography, and the only people that don't understand this and have issue with it are ignorant critics. There is absolutely nothing to it beyond hype and propaganda, and I eagerly await you to prove otherwise.

I am also curious as to what "Church publications" published it in the light of sponsoring the idea.

PacMan

Can someone be so kind as to describe the Adam-God theory as BY tought it?

The only one, for sure, who can do that is brother Brigham himself.

Now, if you so impatient that you do not want to wait until you get on the other side-- then you will simply have to read what is recorded as his words.

The following list may have some errors in it (the first quote is false, for instance) but it is otherwise quite accurate, and pretty much covers the ground, in my opinion. Not all of it is BY quotes, but a lot of it is.

230 Adam-God quotes by brother Brigham and others

Notice that all the quotes are not on the first page. There are links to other pages at the top. Notice that they are all numbered: 1 through 230. That helps when one quotes from this list.

Here is an important example, in my opinion:

20. ... It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

The October 8, 1854 discourse is the best, I believe. The above link gives quotes from it from several sources. Here is a better look at it.

Here are some excellent quotes from it:

There has never been a time when the creations of worlds commenced, they are from eternity to eternity in their creations and redemption. After they are organized, they experience the good and evil; the light, and the dark, the bitter and the sweet, as you and I do. There never was a time when there were not worlds in existence as this world is, and they pass through similar changes in abiding their creation preparatory to exaltation. Worlds have always been in progress, and eternally will be.

Every world has had an Adam, and an Eve: named so, simply because the first man is always called Adam, and the first woman Eve; and the oldest son has always had the privilege of being ordained, appointed, and called to be the heir of the family, if he does not rebel against the Father; and he is the savior of that family.

Every world that has been created, has been created upon the same principle. They may vary in their varieties, yet the eternity is one; it is one eternal round. These are things that scarcely belong to the best of this congregation. ...

But let us turn our attention to the God with which we have to do. I tell you simply, he is our Father; the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Father of our spirits. Can that be possible? Yes, it is possible, he is the Father of all the spirits of the human family.

...Now be watchful, for if I have time, and feel able, I shall communicate something in connection with this you are not expecting. ...

Moses said Adam was made of the dust of the ground, but he did not say of what ground. I say he was not made of the dust of the ground of this earth, but he was made of the dust of the earth were he lived, where he honored his calling, believing in his Savior, or Elder Brother, and by his faithfulness, was redeemed, and got a glorious resurrection. ...

I tell you more, Adam is the Father of our spirits. He lived upon an earth; he did abide his creation, and did honor his calling and priesthood, and obeyed his master or Lord, and probably many of his wives did the same, and they lived, and died upon an earth, and then were resurrected again to immortality and eternal life.

I tell you, when you see your Father in the heavens, you will see Adam; when you see your Mother that bears your spirit, you will see mother Eve. And when you see yourselves there, you have gained your exaltation; you have honored your calling here on the earth; your body has returned to its mother earth; and somebody has broken the chains of death that bound you, and given you a resurrection.

Richard

Archived