Seriously No Politics ×

Deseret Dylan

David Bokovoy

Anyone questioning the spirituality of the great Bob Dylan should certainly consider reading Christopher Rickâ??s outstanding book Dylanâ??s Visions of Sin.

I have noticed, that as a deeply spiritual soul, Dylan has actually given quite a bit of thought to the lovely state of Deseret.

Who could disagree with Dylanâ??s serene sentiment:

Build me a cabin in Utah

marry me a wife, catch rainbow trout

have a bunch of kids who call me pa

that must be what it's all about.--- Sign on the Window

Then again, in one of Dylanâ??s earliest original compositions, the singing poet laments:

Something happened to him that day,

I thought I heard a stranger say,

I hung my head and stole away.

A diesel truck was rollin' slow,

Pullin' down a heavy load.

It left him on a Utah road. â?? Ballad for a Friend

And who could ever overlook the wonderfully simple folk song not written in Tin Pan Alley, but rather in the United States somewhere:

Here's a foreign song I learned in Utah

Ha-va-ne-gei-lah

O-de-ley-e-e-oo- ---Talkin Hava Negeilah Blues

Move over Elvis. Here comes Dylan!

"Oh, Sister."

Nice work! I of course do not remember 1975, but I do own the bootleg album Plymouth Rock that is a combination of the first venues of the Rolling Thunder Review held in Plymouth, MA and Waterbury, CT.

The album is incredible, much better than the Official Bootleg volume 5, and in a rare moment of interaction with the audience, Dylan dedicates the song â??Oh Sisterâ? to Brigham Young.

Though Dylan performed such classics as â??Oh, Sister,â? â??One More Cup Of Coffee,â? and â??Sara,â? the audience would have to wait two months from the performance for the release of the Desire LP.

So who is Bob Dylan

Only the greatest singer/songwriter to ever walk the face of the planet!

Though Dylan performed such classics as â??Oh, Sister,â? â??One More Cup Of Coffee,â? and â??Sara,â? the audience would have to wait two months from the performance for the release of the Desire LP.

Growing up, my Dad had a "reel to reel" recording of Nashville Skyline that liked to put on. It was different than all the other music in his collection and just intrigued me.

When I was 16, I found "Desire" on sale, and even though I didn't know anything about the album, I bought it because Dylan really looked cool on the cover. It was the best music buy that I ever made and only the first in a long string of Dylan albums. He's got something special.

Anyone want to guess which Dylan song my wife and I used for our wedding march?

cacheman

Anyone want to guess which Dylan song my wife and I used for our wedding march?

"Wedding Song" from Planet Waves?

Growing up, my Dad had a "reel to reel" recording of Nashville Skyline that liked to put on. It was different than all the other music in his collection and just intrigued me.

Do you have the Dylan Cash Sessions on CD?

Only the greatest singer/songwriter to ever walk the face of the planet!

That is a debatable point and one that is going to be highly subject to taste. For example, I like a singer to be someone that can sing, not drone along on 3 notes...

Obviously somebody missed the 60s...

Or is not too highly impressed by the individual in question...

But hey, thats just my taste :P

Logical choice, but not the right one. I'll give a hint, "1973"

1973 would be either the unduly maligned â??Dylanâ? or the incredible soundtrack â??Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.â?

Since I have a hard time imagining a wedding march to the â??Turkey Chase,â? Iâ??m going to go with Dylanâ??s cover of â??Canâ??t Help Falling in Love.â?

I don't have the Dylan Cash Sessions on CD. That's got to be a good one.

It is quite fun! But the officially released "Girl of the North Country" was certainly the best session track.

Since I have a hard time imagining a wedding march to the â??Turkey Chase,â? Iâ??m going to go with Dylanâ??s cover of â??Canâ??t Help Falling in Love.â?

The cool thing about soundtracks is that they usually have some instrumentals. We actually used "River Theme" for the march. I love that album. Recorded in a barn if I recall correctly.

cacheman

One of my favorite Dylan albums, that is for sound and mood.

For mood I have to go with Street Legal although it has to be the most poorly recorded of any Dylan album. Favorite sound and mood song - Blind Willie McTell off the first bootleg release (disc three) ...

For mood I have to go with Street Legal although it has to be the most poorly recorded of any Dylan album. Favorite sound and mood song - Blind Willie McTell off the first bootleg release (disc three) ...

Street Legal is a GREAT album!

The cool thing about his music is that there are albums/songs for every mood and occasion. Every album has it's unique sound. For that reason, I can't say which is my favorite album or song, because it depends on the day.

Today, my favorite album is John Wesley Harding. It's something to do with the new snow and past memories.

cacheman

I think Dylan must have shaken his head in wonder when people read deeper meaning into his songs than he intended. I think this is why he had to write, "Everybody must get stoned..."

His songs are no deeper than life, and that's deep enough for me. He's just a song and dance man.

cacheman

Thanks cacheman - I don't run across alot of Street Legal fans but you're right that all the albums and most every song can meet most mood needs.

For Dylan-philes - there was a very good article in the New Yorker magazine sometime in the Spring, I believe. Just a book review but a very good critique of being "Dylan", his style, and his ability to really engage the musical mind. Hope others got to see. Don't know if the NYer puts its stuff online or not.

Okay - here it is - it was September (time passes slowly up here in the mountains):

Dylan Review

If you're a fan or just curious about what the fuss is all about you might find this of interest. Last Dylan post, promise

Favorite sound and mood song - Blind Willie McTell off the first bootleg release (disc three) .

Blind Willie McTell is one of my favorite songs of all time. Iâ??ve heard Dylan perform it live three times, including a couple of weeks ago at a concert here in Boston. As nice as the version presented on disk three of the Official Bootleg collection is, you should really, really seek out the outtake featured on the CD Rough Cuts!!!! Itâ??s electric, with a sound somewhat similar to the live version featured on one of those singles released a couple of years ago.

I think this is why he had to write, "Everybody must get stoned..."

Are you referring to â??Rainy Day Women #12 & 35â?? A song that begins:

â??They'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,

They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.

They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.

Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.â?

I suspect a much deeper meaning exists for the poem than most people realize.

We actually used "River Theme" for the march. I love that album.

What a wonderful choice! Do you know, by the way, what forgotten classic was replaced on the soundtrack by â??Knockinâ?? on Heavenâ??s Doorâ??

Archived