Seriously No Politics ×

Nhm

Olavarria

Could someone please give a link to this research on Bountiful-I would love to see how convincing it is but I've yet to see the research on Wayd Saqr(or whatever it is). If this is really the ONLY place that could be Bountiful it seems it would have required a pretty thorough investigation of the entire Arabian coastline.

Buy the books and DVD

We have Lehi et al traveling through the area 600 BC, hearing a local name in an unfamiliar language, decades later, someone writes down the name phonetically in a "demotic Egyptian script". This subsequently goes through no one knows how many rewrites over approximately 800 years (are we assuming that all these scribes had working knowledge of Hebrew, and demotic Egyptian script?) Later this is transalated phonetically into English by Joseph (or he saw the actual word appear of the stone, we can't seem to reach a consensus on this).

What would amaze me was if there were any resemblance at all. How did this exact word (or at least the essentials) make it through all these steps?

Actually, the account of the journey of Lehi's party through Arabia comes from the Small Plates of Nephi, so the number of steps for the name to get to us is much smaller that you suggest: Nephi hears the name; Nephi writes name in "reformed Epyptian" on the Small Plates; Joseph translates the name into English.

Actually, the account of the journey of Lehi's party through Arabia comes from the Small Plates of Nephi, so the number of steps for the name to get to us is much smaller that you suggest: Nephi hears the name; Nephi writes name in "reformed Epyptian" on the Small Plates; Joseph translates the name into English.

Joseph sees the English name appear in his seer stone.

Could someone please give a link to this research on Bountiful-I would love to see how convincing it is but I've yet to see the research on Wayd Saqr(or whatever it is). If this is really the ONLY place that could be Bountiful it seems it would have required a pretty thorough investigation of the entire Arabian coastline.

I believe that there are actually three different sites on the East Arabian coast that are proposed as viable candidates for Bountiful. They are all in roughly the same area.

I would say that one of the strongest arguments for Nahom and Bountiful is the fact that Joseph Smith would have even chose such a path out of Arabia. I mean, if you were going to write a narrative about a group leaving Jerusalem and going to the New World why on earth would someone who was looking at a map randomly decide to go along the Red Sea then traverse across the entire Arabian Peninsula to launch a ship and take off? Why wouldn't he have just had them leave from the Red Sea or at worst simply head south to the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula? The fact that the path leads to a forested coastline along what is otherwise a desolate shore is significant. I don't think it rises to absolute proof or something that couldn't be a coincidence, but it does seem significant given that there was very little known about Arabia in America at the time.

Archived