Seriously No Politics ×

Pesach And Bom

cksalmon

There are so many possibilities. Perhaps it was harder to make unleavened bread with the wheat in the New world. Perhaps they made Navajo-like fry bread instead. Perhaps they decided to abandon these traditions altogether if they even had them at the time of their departure.

There are so many possibilities. Perhaps it was harder to make unleavened bread with the wheat in the New world. Perhaps they made Navajo-like fry bread instead.

Moksha,

do you have any substantive contribution to make on any subject, ever?

Just wondering,

Pahoran

I happen to like Navajo Fry Bread, and you have to admit it does bear some similarity to unleavened bread, thus potentially completing an unwritten legacy of the Passover. Besides, isn't providing a target for you to send zingers to substance enough?

No.

Regards,

Pahoran

There is only one feast candidly mentioned that I know of in the BOM. Although held in the Land of Nephi it was under the direction of the King of the Lamanites.

Alma 18

[9] And they said unto him: Behold, he is feeding thy horses. Now the king had commanded his servants, previous to the time of the watering of their flocks, that they should prepare his horses and chariots, and conduct him forth to the land of Nephi; for there had been a great feast appointed at the land of Nephi, by the father of Lamoni, who was king over all the land.

I believe that many have tried to tie King Benjamin's Speech and building of a tower with certain Jewish festivals, but I cannot recall which ones at the moment....perhaps somebody else knows.

cdowis,

IIRC, I think that was a misprint or such--there was a thread on that a long while ago where more info was given.

Okey dookey. Just let us know when you find it. Skousen could not understand why "ceremony" was used in such a context, so he simply dismissed it as a diction error.

Well, I am able to give a reasonable explanation for the word.

"I can't understand" is such lousy logic.

Benjamin's discourse contains all of the essential elements for the Feast of the Tabernacles, Day of Atonement, Sabbath Year, and the Jubilee Year. For details, see the FARMS volume on King Benjamin's Speech, especially John Welch's essay.

Incidentally, my memory that Abinadi fits Passover was in error. His discourse actually seems to have been on the occasion of Pentacost. See chapter 38 in Re-exploring the Book of Mormon. The essay on "The Sons of the Passover" is chapter 56.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

Some of them are interesting--this one, ...

Others seem like stretches to me (the reference to wine).

Granted some parallels by themselves are to vague. But they add weight to the stronger parallels.

So, I take it you are withdrawing your objection. I hope we are not going to see it in a forthcoming

Evangel
!

So, I take it you are withdrawing your objection.

Well, I'm not sure that I was objecting to anything. I was curious how LDS would answer the question; so I asked.

I will say that, in light of the responses given, logical consistency forces me to minimize the significance of the lack of explicit references to Pesach in BoM.

Best to you.

CKS

Archived