Seriously No Politics ×

Christ And Horus.

Ray Agostini

I think you would find CASE FOR CHRIST an interesting read. The author was an atheist set out to discredit the myth of Jesus Christ. Rather than prove his pupose reasonable, he concluded Jesus is the Christ and converted to Christianity. He covers historical non biblical evidence in the book. Can you out think the author? Are you really being reasonable in light of the evidence? Check it out.

I skimmed through it awhile ago in a BN.. I wonder if you have ever read: Challenging the Verdict: A Cross-Examination of Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" By Earl Doherty?

I have not, but the Amazon reviews appear very good.

CK-

Will review the link closer when i have some time this weekend ..

I always find it a little amusing when adherents default to the Case for Christ as a defense of their faith. Ironically enough, Mr. Strobel sets the scene for his book in a courthouse and conducts a mock trial essentially "proving" that Christ existed and wrought miracles. *instant headache* Apparently Mr. Strobel conveniently forgets judicial standards for evidentiary procedings, odd since he's an Ivy League graduate. I'm a little skeptical of his claims that he was an avowed atheist... seems to me Evangelical Christians love to tell people that they were either Atheists, going to kill themselves, or headed for a life of crime if they hadn't found Jesus (why does he keep getting lost?). If the latter part is true then I'm glad they found Jesus.

The bottom line is the Christ myth is simply an amalgamation of various old world myths. It seems pretty obvious to me that many messianic figures in mythology were present and being bandied about in the Med. and Cent. Asian regions. Once Christianity found its footing, it's no wonder an evangelical like Paul would incorporate various myths into the Christ story in order to facilitate the conversion process. We continued to see this process unfold as Romans spread the religion throughout Europe and the rest of the known world... to this day as Christians hijack popular culture like music and morph it into Christ-centric proselytism. It's their modus operandi and it's no wonder that it extended to their deity.

Hi TAK,

I could regurgitate what I've read on the subject, but maybe it would be better to just point you to this article by JP Holding that nicely answers the specific points you raised.

-CK

Holdingâ??s first sentence indicates that â??Back in the Roman era, Mithraism was perhaps Christianity's leading competitor for the hearts and minds of others.â?

How it got there and its relationship to an even more ancient form of Mithraism is still debatable. I doubt it just appeared and given the longevity of its practice â?? over a thousand years, evolution and changing themes would not be surprising. Beyond that I suspect that Literal/Orthodox Christianity will be shown to be an evolution and synthesis of both Gnostic and Mithraic beliefs.

The study of savor gods is an interesting subject: From Yahweh, Zeus, Helios, Artemis, Dionysus, Hercules, Osiris, Hermes, Adonis, Attis, and Baal. Or wisdom teachers and healers who became god like Apollonius of Tyana, or other teachers commonly found during Paulâ??s lifetime.

But I have to agree that these themes of sacrificed savior god, eating/partaking the god, scapegoat as sin offering, mystery play and demigods are very, very old and predate the gospels.

Good luck with your studies on savor gods, you will found it very interesting.

Archived