Seriously No Politics ×

Fall Equinox

cacheman

Let me begin by stating that I'm just wanting to hear thoughts on the significance of the equinox. I don't want the discussion to turn into an argument over "Joseph Smith the occultist" or anything like that. I'm not interested in that. I'd like to explore this topic in a respectful way :P

We know that Joseph's visions of Moroni occured on the fall equinox's. I'd like to hear from LDS about their thoughts on that. Do you believe there is a significance in that meeting date? Is it a coincidence, or simply reflective of his cultural beliefs at the time? I'm not aware of any LDS officials discussing this, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

cacheman

Thanks Helorum,

It's an interesting link between the reception of the plates and the feast of the trumpets. Do you know if the other visions of Moroni occured during the feast period as well? Does the feast of trumpets generally occur on the fall equinox?

cacheman

edited to change tabernacles to trumpets. My quick reading of the article confused me a bit.

Do you know if the other visions of Moroni occured during the feast period as well?

There are, I believe, about 22 different apearances of Moroni that are recorded. I do not believe they all occurred on significant Israelite holy days. I will post a link to an article shortly.

I have heard that the appearance of the Prophet Elijah in Kirtland was on Passover, the day when Jews set a place at the table for his return.

It seems as if the Lord finds certain days highly significant.

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard that the appearance of the Prophet Elijah in Kirtland was on Passover, the day when Jews set a place at the table for his return.

I truely do not mind the fact that J Smith took a few notes off of our pages. I have no problem with him attempting to expand upon our theories and edit the Bible. But I do find it rather suspicious that people believe that Elihaj appeared in Kirtland during our passover and other such lore.

Ein-sof, I don't mean to be offensive, but the Jews don't "own" Elijah. He was a great prophet, with a vital mission to perform. The prophecies of Elijah's return were to be fulfilled. But in the Lord's plan, Elijah returned to the person who needed the keys he held.

What was the expectation, according to Jewish theology, of what Elijah was returning for? And, since obviously, he could not return simultaneously to each Jewish household celebrating Passover, where was he supposed to go when he returned?

duplicate post, sorry.

I did the search on "moon" limited to the 12 and conference reports. I suspect what you are thinking of is this, though it isn't about Moroni, but the founding of the Church on April 6th:

Live the Commandments

As we left our meeting that evening and left that little farmhouse, there was a full moon shining down through the trees. I said to Ruby,
duplicate post, sorry.

Charity,

Elijah does belong to us, or at least he does according to 99% of all orth Jew based on the Bible. However, I do hold the opinion that his return would not only be for the Jews.

He was in fact a great Prophet, ( my least favorite by the way) and he does hold the Keys that needed to be returned. However, and I say this with a great deal of caution, the Keys in which the LDS believe to be returned would not have been delivered to those within a certain B/L. And I type this with no disrespect, the J Smith theory on this just does not add up esp so in the way that they were delievered.

I am not suggesting that the LDS is wrong.I am suggesting that certain factors would have had to have been met, and as far as I have studied, they were not.

Perhaps it is just my hx that makes me question such things but I find myself constantly asking the people that I attend services with if their Elijah was indeed our Elijah because I do not find it to be accurate and truthfully in many ways insulting.

Ein-sof, I am not up on some of your abbreviations. What is B/L and hx?

It is the view of the LDS that the prophets God sends are for all His children. Only most don't listen to them. We believe that all the prophets-- Elijah, Joseph Smith, and Gordon B. Hinckley, along with all the others-- are the world's prophets, not just ours.

Malachi had prophesied that Elijah was to bring the keys to sealing. ( Malachi 4:5

I truely do not mind the fact that J Smith took a few notes off of our pages. I have no problem with him attempting to expand upon our theories and edit the Bible. But I do find it rather suspicious that people believe that Elihaj appeared in Kirtland during our passover and other such lore.

Why?

Since the Jews still expect him to appear, when and how do you foresee this event?

If it is true that he has already appeared to a prophet, is it not logical that it would have occurred during Pesach?

Archived