Seriously No Politics ×

yet another polygamy thread

pssst

this question is not to raise conflicts and controversies nor to tell if polygamy is right or wrong...

its a simple question.

lets say that polygamy is no more ilegal and a new revelation appears that polygamy is the new everlasting commandment (again)

the question is :

how many of you are willing to practice it? like how many are going to start looking for more wives..or are you just going to leave it to destiny (if it happens it happens)

and for the ladies, how many of you are willing to accept it (because i know some tbm women that say"if polygamy is back dont you dream of looking for more women!")

thanks

If the legal impediments to polygyny are removed; and

If the Church announces it will start calling folks to practice it again; and

If my wife and I receive such a call;

Then I'll be too old to be considered a very promising candidate.

Yeehaw!

Go ahead raise conflict; raising conflict and controversy about changing church doctrine is an effective method by which many have been brought out of the LDS church and into a to a saving relationship with Jesus.

This is a question that's great to put to an LDS couple who you are witnessing to.

Hi EL...
If polygamy comes back, my husband can have as many wives as he wants. I just won't be one of them.

<_< This is exactly what I told my husband as a believer.

Or... he could have as many wives as I can have husbands. What is fair is fair! Right? :P

~dancer~

Exactly! I have jokingly told my husband that I wish I had a robot husband who could go to work, so I could spend more time with my (real life) sweetie. BTW, I love your signature. I have read some really great quotes by Voltaire.

Yeehaw!

You're dodging the question - how about in the millenium?

Yeehaw!

You're dodging the question - how about in the millenium?

What a silly thing to say. After all, the initial post in the thread said:

lets say that polygamy is no more ilegal and a new revelation appears that polygamy is the new everlasting commandment (again)

which makes no mention of how the Millenium might figure into all of this. How, for example, polygyny would figure in a world ruled by the Master. Or how Celestial Polygyny might be practiced by resurrected beings.

The thread starter wanted opinions. Mine is: thank heavens I dodged that bullet.

If the Church called me to start practicing polygamy, I'd be all for it. Only problem is, in order to have a second wife, I'd need to be married to one already and I'm looking for some woman who'd gladly suffer being married to someone like me. I have yet to find any woman who is that charitable. :P

If I did ever choose to practice it, it would not be because of a new "revelation". It would be because I, after consulting everyone involved, and with the full informed consent of everyone involved, decided that it would be overall beneficial to those involved and to society at large.

I do believe that truly consensual polygamy ought to be perfectly legal.

this question is not to raise conflicts and controversies nor to tell if polygamy is right or wrong...

its a simple question.

the question is :

how many of you are willing to practice it? like how many are going to start looking for more wives..or are you just going to leave it to destiny (if it happens it happens)

and for the ladies, how many of you are willing to accept it (because i know some tbm women that say"if polygamy is back dont you dream of looking for more women!")

thanks

If God asked you to meet him in a bar in Guam next Wednesday wearing a yellow turban on your head and balancing a Hershey bar on your left knuckle, would you do it?

If God asked you to take your son up a mountain and sacrifice him, would you do it?

Whether the subject is polygamy, the Word of Wisdom or anything else, the point is that if there is a God and He commands something, and we knew He had commanded it, however un-PC or peculiar, would we do it?

Is there a believer of any persuasion on this board who would admit to refusing to carry out any command of which they were sure had come from God?

Female, happily married +25 years with two children, will do it with no problem if commanded

Husband appears to be reluctant to even think about it, though knowing him he would obey gritting his teeth.

BTW, this question has been asked many, many times before and the only reason I'm bothering to answer is because it appears that the rest of those who see things similar to me are too bored with this to post. You can always search through old threads if you want to have some other positive input.

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is...I would do it if commanded (hopefully I would get some say in who...).

though knowing him he would obey gritting his teeth

<_< I can't help but think though, that those of us who are sure we would obey just say that in order to keep the peace. :P

Are these ifs contingent upon the Kingdom of Deseret rising again? If that is the case only select men would be able to get as many young wives as they were able to entice. Most of us would never have to worry about it. There would however be a number of young bachelors and lost boys who would leave voluntarily or involuntarily. Probably to the Duchy of Denver or Cascadia.

its a simple question.

the question is :

thanks

If God asked you to meet him in a bar in Guam next Wednesday wearing a yellow turban on your head and balancing a Hershey bar on your left knuckle, would you do it?

If God asked you to take your son up a mountain and sacrifice him, would you do it?

Whether the subject is polygamy, the Word of Wisdom or anything else, the point is that if there is a God and He commands something, and we knew He had commanded it, however un-PC or peculiar, would we do it?

Is there a believer of any persuasion on this board who would admit to refusing to carry out any command of which they were sure had come from God?

The problem is God never really asks us all or tells us all. Someone that is human telss us and then claims it is God telling us. Thus the comments of JS that whatever God commands is right even though at another time it may have been an abomination. That is all fine for Joseph cuasye he says he speaks for God. but such theo-ethics sure vests a lot in one person and gives that person a heck of a lot of power.

Teancum

Someone that is human telss us and then claims it is God telling us.
Except that wasn't the case according to the descriptions of many of the early participants, who claimed they had personal manifestations of the Spirit, including visions that directed them to accept this practice.

In those cases, it was not someone 'human' telling them, but God.

And in my case, I would insist on a personal witness as well even though I am very comfortable with the idea.

From the outside you may believe that I'm just letting a human tell me what to do, but from the inside, I'll believe (if I get a positive) that it is God. And I don't really see how this would be any different from a personal witness of the divinity of Christ or his mission--only the individual experiencing it can truly tell what the source is (assuming there isn't delusion involved, but that is a slippery slope imo once you start applying it to just the things you don't feel comfortable with).

magyar:

in first place i would never accept doing anything that conflicts with my reasoning, logic and conciousness.....

having said that, i would definetivly not obey another human being claiming to speak for god, never....

and the god i believe in would never ask me to go to a hill and kill my son inorder to show him i love him or that i have faith in him...as a matter of fact, the idea of god asking me to do that despises me..makes me wanna throw up really.

now regarding to the thread, i must admit i didnt expect that amount of "dodging"...would it be fair to say that most of you deep in side , are ok with polygamy because its no longer practiced? (by dodging i mean hoping not to have to accept it)

and calmoriah: if you are bored with posts like this you have the option to skip it..

Archived