Seriously No Politics ×

What did the Nauvoo Expositor lie about?

aaronshaf

According to Mormons, what did the Nauvoo Expositor lie about? Could you provide me with a simple list? Thanks!

-Aaron

According to Mormons, what did the Nauvoo Expositor lie about? Could you provide me with a simple list? Thanks!

-Aaron

I've read it pretty carefully, about six months ago, and I would say that the tone is inflammatory, but I would have a hard time saying it lied about anything. The two primary points are:

1. Joseph and a select few were practicing plural marriage whilst publicly saying they were not.

2. Joseph had secretly been crowned Theorcratic King of the Council of Fifty.

Pretty much everything else was inflammatory commentary, and miscellaneous things that would be expected to be in a newpaper like advertisements, etc. The difficulties associated with it is that the tone was inflammatory, it was exposing things that were supposed to be kept secret, and it showed that Joseph's public proclamations in which he denied practicing plural marriage were not true.

I would agree. On the other hand, they didn't accuse Joseph Smith of just a plurality of wives, but they attempted to paint it as adultry, fornication, etc. So, while the basic claims were true, it was written in a very colerful way so as to agitate people against Joseph Smith

I would like a clear definition of 'practicing polygamy'. Does practicing polygamy demand consumation?

And does anyone remember the time when one of the apostles denied things during the Mark Hoffman era, and later had to apolgize for lying?

Another thing, what is wrong with being named a theocratic king? LOL

The intention of the paper was to inflame the citizens of the surrounding area to violence against the citizens of the city. As such it was considered a danger to the public and voted by the council as a public nuisance -- similar to inciting a riot.

The laws and courts of the day were not as protective of the newspapers -- freedom of the press, as they are today.

The intention of the paper was to inflame the citizens of the surrounding area to violence against the citizens of the city.

It seems difficult to assume the intention of a document some 160 years later. I haven't read the Expositor in a couple of years. Does it actually call for violence? Perhaps the intent was simply to express the outrage felt upon learning that the publishers had been lied to by a man claiming to be a prophet.

The intention of the paper was to inflame the citizens of the surrounding area to violence against the citizens of the city. As such it was considered a danger to the public and voted by the council as a public nuisance -- similar to inciting a riot.

The laws and courts of the day were not as protective of the newspapers -- freedom of the press, as they are today.

I think you have missed the point, Charles. William Law and his followers had started

a new splinter group, within the city of Nauvoo itself. The Law family and their apostate

associates owned considerable valuable property in the city. They had just established

a newspaper office after much difficulty in getting the press into town, procuring and

outfitting a printing office, and initiating publication. At the time the new church's press

was destroyed, the first side of the #2 issue of the Expositor had just been printed

and its sheets were drying in the racks, to be ready for the second run through the

press on the following day.

rumreor2.gif

To think that Elder William Law and his followers had gone through so much religious

preparation and temporal exertion, just to call down upon the heads of their families,

and their neighbors' families, "violence against the citizens of the city," is a palpable

misrepresentation of Nauvoo history.

William law fully intended to become the top leader of the "Reformed LDS Church" at

Nauvoo, once he and his followers had successfully exposed the irregularities of the

bankruptcies of top LDS leaders, various real estate misrepresentations, missappropriation

of tithing and temple fund offerings, etc. Had the Expositor lasted another ten

issues, I think we can be relatively certain that it would have included exposure of

bogus coining at Nauvoo; theft of Gentile livestock in Hancock Co., for use in and

around Nauvoo; the misuse of Church funds in promoting the 1844 presidential

campaign of Joseph Smith, Jr., etc. etc.

exposit2.jpg

The last thing in the world that William Law would have wanted, as a result of

his starting the new paper at Nauvoo, would be gun-slinging, torch-carrying, Gentile

mobs descending upon Nauvoo to murder, rape and pillage the Saints.

Think about it for a minute, Charlie.

Your Uncle Dale

The intention of the paper was to inflame the citizens of the surrounding area to violence against the citizens of the city.
Whether or not that was the actual intention, it could have been seen that way either by its readers or by the council.

Uncle Dale

Had the Expositor lasted another ten

issues, I think we can be relatively certain that it would have included exposure of

bogus coining at Nauvoo; theft of Gentile livestock in Hancock Co., for use in and

around Nauvoo; the misuse of Church funds in promoting the 1844 presidential

campaign of Joseph Smith, Jr., etc. etc.

Uncle Dale, do you believe that the things mentioned above actually happened, or merely slander from William Law? I agree with you in believing no one was trying to incite a riot....

The following is what I stated in another discussion thread:

Joseph and Hyrum gave testimony about the claims made against them in the 'Expositor' and by William Law These were given during the City Council meeting regarding the possible destruction of Law's press and are quoted in the 'Nauvoo Neighbor' June 19, 1844. The following quotes are located in the second column near the middle and bottom of page two in that issue regarding the 'Nauvoo Expositor' claims:

"Mayor said...--they make a criminality, for a man to have a wife on the earth, while he has one in heaven, according to the keys of the holy Priesthood--and he then read a statement of William Law's from the Expositor, where the truth of God was transformed into a lie concerning this thing---He then read several statements of Austin Cowles in the Expositor concerning a private interview, and said he never had any private conversation with Austin Cowles on these subjects--that he preached on the stand from the bible, shewing the order in ancient days, having nothing to do with the present times. "

"Councillor H. Smith proceeded to shew the falsehood of Austin Cowles in the "Expositor," in relation to the revelation referred to that it was in reference to former days and not the present time as related by Cowles. Mayor said he had never preached the revelation in private, as he had in public--had not taught it to the anointed in the church in private, which statement many present confirmed..."

page 3, 5th column middle continues on similar issue:

"Councilor, H. Smith, ....--referred to the revelation read to the High Council of the Church, which has caused so much talk about a multiplicity of wives; that said Revelation was in answer to a question concerning things which transpired in former days, and had no reference to the present time. ..."

Bradley E. Barnhart, priest (RLDS Restorationist)

Springfield, OR.

Uncle Dale, I wonder what the July 1, 1844 issue of the 'Times and Seasons' was originally going to contain.

So Uncle Dale,

Are you saying there was no ill intent to insite a riot? Yet what idiot would think writing such, after being among the saints, would not insite a riot?

I cannot go back into the mind of Joseph Smith, Jr.'s ex-Counselor pro tem in

the LDS First Presidency, to determine just what his each and every motive was, of

course. Elder Law may have suspected that the Nauvoo Municipal Council would charge

him with a crime of some sort --- and, I would be surprised it Elder Law had not made

some advance legal preparation, to meet charges against him and his associates in

a court of justice.

What I think he did NOT envision, is that the Nauvoo Municipal Council would take upon

itself the functions of the established judiciary, and hand down a judgment against the

Nauvoo Expositor, itself, as an entity. Such a judgment was beyond the scope of

powers granted the Nauvoo Municipal Council in the Legistature-approved Charter, and

was not an action which would have held up as being legal, in any court outside of the

Nauvoo city limits.

Thus, the "riot," which occurred was NOT the coming into Nauvoo of armed, pillaging

Gentiles, but rather a mob headed by the city marshall -- and the leading participants

of that mob were indeed later brought to trial in Hancock County for "riot."

The Expositor did not publish anything that the surrounding Gentiles papers had

not already either implied, summarized, or reported in detail. The reporting in those

newspapers had so far, up until the summer of 1844, not resulted in any Gentile

rioting in or around Nauvoo. It is unlikely that the Expositor's reporting would

have caused the Gentiles to riot, as they would have seen a popular voice being

raised WITHIN the city, to address at least some of the issues that so bothered the

"old citizens" in their last five years of dealing with the Hancock County Mormons.

William Law advocated the recinding of the Nauvoo Municipal Charter -- an action that

the Gentiles would have no doubt been happy to see further advocated within the

Mormon ranks -- so, at the next legislative term, the Illinois law-makers would have

been given further inducement to withdraw Nauvoo's charter(s).

So, a short answer to your question, is that the only "riot" thus incited was among

the TBMs in Nauvoo -- and that "riot" was caused by the drastic actions of the

Municipal Council against the Expositor.

Joseph Smith later justified the Council's actions, in a letter written in response to

Governor Ford's denunciation of the destruction of the Expositor's press.

Smith said, that had the Council NOT destroyed the press, that the Mormons of the

city would have risen up, over and above his authority and ability to control them,

and would have inflicted great damage themselves (including, I suppose, murdering

William and Wilson Law, etc.)

If THAT is the sort of riot your are talking about -- it appears that even the Living

Prophet would have been unable to have stopped it; not by revelation nor by the

mustering of the Nauvoo Legion to protect the Expositor's new office.

Uncle Dale

-Aaron

I believe the way the apostates who published the Expositor twisted Joseph Smith's King Follett discourse re: the plurality of gods particularly rankled the Nauvoo Saints--even more than the comments on a plurarity of wives.

It is a notorious fact, that many females in foreign climes, and in countries to us unknown, even in the most distant regions of the Eastern hemisphere, have been induced, by the sound of the gospel, to forsake friends, and embark upon a voyage across waters that lie stretched over the greater portion of the globe, as they supposed, to glorify God, that they might thereby stand acquitted in the great day of God Almighty.....The harmless, inoffensive, and unsuspecting creatures, are so devoted to the Prophet, and the cause of Jesus Christ, that they do not dream of the deep-laid and fatal scheme which prostrates happiness, and renders death itself desirable, but they meet him, expecting to receive through him a blessing, and learn the will of the Lord concerning them, and what awaits the faithful followers of Joseph, the Apostle and Prophet of God, when in the stead thereof, they are told, after having been sworn in one of the most solemn manners, to never divulge what is revealed to them, **with a penalty of death attached***, that God Almighty has revealed it to him that she should be his (Joseph's) Spiritual wife; for it was right anciently, and God will tolerate it again; but we must keep those pleasures and blessings from the world, for until there is a change in the government, we will endanger ourselves by practicing it--but we can enjoy the blessings of Jacob, David, and others, as well as to be deprived of them, if we do not expose ourselves to the law of the land. ***She is thunder-struck, faints, recovers, and refuses**. The Prophet damns her if she rejects. She thinks of the great sacrifice, and of the many thousand miles she has traveled over sea and land, that she might save her soul from pending ruin, and replies, God's will be done, and not mine. ****The Prophet and his devotees in this way are gratified.***

http://www.xmission.com/~country/reason/exposit1.htm (emphasis mine)

Dale, his intentions are obvious, even if you shut your eyes to them. He is accusing JS and his followers of bring innocent women to Nauvoo for the personal gratification of JS and the leaders of the church. Rape.

"Rise us and destroy this monster" is his message.

-Aaron

I believe the way the apostates who published the Expositor twisted Joseph Smith's King Follett discourse re: the plurality of gods particularly rankled the Nauvoo Saints--even more than the comments on a plurarity of wives.

Among the many items of false doctrine that are taught the Church, is the doctrine of many Gods, one of the most direful in its effects that has characterized the world for many centuries.  We know not what to call it other than blasphemy, for it is most unquestionably, speaking of God in an impious and irreverent manner. -- It is contended that there are innumerable Gods as much above the God that presides over this universe, as he is above us; and if he varies from the law unto which he is subjected, he, with all his creatures, will be cast down as was Lucifer; thus holding forth a doctrine which is effectually calculated to sap the very foundation of our faith: and now, O Lord! shall we set still and be silent, while thy name is thus blasphemed, and thine honor, power and glory, brought into disrepute. See Isaiah c 43, v 10; 44, 6-8; 45, 5, 6, 21, 22; and book of Covenants, page 26 and 39.

In the dark ages of Popery, when bigotry, superstition, and tyranny held universal sway over the empire of reason, there was some semblance of justice in the inquisitorial deliberations, which, however, might have been dictated by prudence, or the fear of consequences: but we are no longer forced to appeal to those states that are now situated under the influence of Popery for examples of injustice, cruelty and oppression -- we can appeal to the acts of the inquisitorial department organized in Nauvoo, by Joseph and his accomplices, for specimens of injustice of the most pernicious and diabolical character that ever stained the pages of the historian.

http://www.solomonspalding.com/docs/exposit1.htm#pg2c1a

No wonder JS got angry.

See what the Salt Lake Tribune had to say about all this, in 1879:

http://www.lavazone2.com/dbroadhu/UT/tribune1.htm#082179

http://www.lavazone2.com/dbroadhu/UT/tribune1.htm#082279

Uncle Dale

It is a notorious fact, that many females in foreign climes, and in countries to us unknown, even in the most distant regions of the Eastern hemisphere, have been induced, by the sound of the gospel, to forsake friends, and embark upon a voyage across waters that lie stretched over the greater portion of the globe, as they supposed, to glorify God, that they might thereby stand acquitted in the great day of God Almighty.....The harmless, inoffensive, and unsuspecting creatures, are so devoted to the Prophet, and the cause of Jesus Christ, that they do not dream of the deep-laid and fatal scheme which prostrates happiness, and renders death itself desirable, but they meet him, expecting to receive through him a blessing, and learn the will of the Lord concerning them, and what awaits the faithful followers of Joseph, the Apostle and Prophet of God, when in the stead thereof, they are told, after having been sworn in one of the most solemn manners, to never divulge what is revealed to them, **with a penalty of death attached***, that God Almighty has revealed it to him that she should be his (Joseph's) Spiritual wife; for it was right anciently, and God will tolerate it again; but we must keep those pleasures and blessings from the world, for until there is a change in the government, we will endanger ourselves by practicing it--but we can enjoy the blessings of Jacob, David, and others, as well as to be deprived of them, if we do not expose ourselves to the law of the land. ***She is thunder-struck, faints, recovers, and refuses**. The Prophet damns her if she rejects. She thinks of the great sacrifice, and of the many thousand miles she has traveled over sea and land, that she might save her soul from pending ruin, and replies, God's will be done, and not mine. ****The Prophet and his devotees in this way are gratified.***

http://www.xmission.com/~country/reason/exposit1.htm (emphasis mine)

Dale, his intentions are obvious, even if you shut your eyes to them. He is accusing JS and his followers of bring innocent women to Nauvoo for the personal gratification of JS and the leaders of the church. Rape.

"Rise us and destroy this monster" is his message.

OK -- have it your way, Charlie --

William Law wanted the Gentiles to attack Nauvoo, and to murder him and his followers.

Uncle Dale

(Let us not get into comparisons with later events in Waco, Texas, however --

since such descriptions seem to get FMB threads closed in short order.)

Serious,

Not sure which specific statement by Joseph refering to Emma being his only wife you were wanting, except maybe the following one given that April 1844 by Joseph (note: condensed):

"I had not been married scarcely five minutes, and made one proclamation of the Gospel, before it was reported that I had seven wives....I am innocent of all these charges...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers." (Joseph Smith, Jr., 'History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints', 6:410-411 as quoted in 'Joseph Smith Fought Polygamy', vol. 1)

It would appear from this statement that Joseph believed himself innocent of polygamy. Would it not be just as true his statement "I can prove them all perjurors" apply also to those women who claimed plural marriage/intimacy with Joseph after his death?

Bradley E. Barnhart, priest (RLDS Restorationist)

Springfield, OR.

It's too bad that people mentioned such polygamous sealings in their journals WHEN THEY HAPPENED.

It's going to be tough for you when the DNA evidence confirms that Joseph Smith has descendents through other women besides Emma, isn't it?

Will such results -- providing they are positive -- only include JS; or will his brothers

William and Hyrum (who shared the same DNA from their common parents) also be

possible matches?

Uncle Dale

Archived