Seriously No Politics ×

Are Mormons' Christians?

dnlgrow

I know plenty of Mormon Christians. I have no trouble with fellowshipping with mormons. The question is, do they feel the same about a Baptist or Catholic, or just a plain ole christian?

What saddens me is there are always bad feelings on the part of the Mormon. LIke everyone who doesnt hold a temple recommend is somehow unworthy.

First of all, it isn't fair to lump all Mormons into a single category. And secondly, I think you'll find far more Mormons willing to call Baptists and Catholics "Christian" rather than vice versa.

Personally, having spent sixteen years as a Southern Baptist as well as several other various denominations, I have no problem with calling others Christian. But how many of them would call *me* a Christian? I've noticed the habit of many of those outside the LDS Church (notice I didn't say ALL?) is to judge LDS by their label while judging others by their heart. Too bad we LDS don't warrant the same respect.

You say there are always bad feelings on the part of the Mormon. Yet you say nothing of the bad feelings that come from others. I don't mind anyone pointing out the errors of our ways. Just be willing to be fair and honest as to BOTH sides.

Sista

What saddens me is there are always bad feelings on the part of the Mormon.

This is just SO wrong on SO many levels. You cannot possibly know any significant number of LDS. "Always?" How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you declare sweeping condemnations?

I know plenty of Mormon Christians.  I have no trouble with fellowshipping with mormons. The question is, do they feel the same about a Baptist or Catholic, or just a plain ole christian?

What saddens me is there are always bad feelings on the part of the Mormon. LIke everyone who doesnt hold a temple recommend is somehow unworthy.

First of all, it isn't fair to lump all Mormons into a single category. And secondly, I think you'll find far more Mormons willing to call Baptists and Catholics "Christian" rather than vice versa.

Personally, having spent sixteen years as a Southern Baptist as well as several other various denominations, I have no problem with calling others Christian. But how many of them would call *me* a Christian? I've noticed the habit of many of those outside the LDS Church (notice I didn't say ALL?) is to judge LDS by their label while judging others by their heart. Too bad we LDS don't warrant the same respect.

You say there are always bad feelings on the part of the Mormon. Yet you say nothing of the bad feelings that come from others. I don't mind anyone pointing out the errors of our ways. Just be willing to be fair and honest as to BOTH sides.

Sista

I second sistasaint's last post.

Alma uses the word "Christian"? Really? I didn't remeber that. Sounds kind of fishy. That was a term given to the followers of "The Way" in Antioch by those who were not followers of "The Way". Why would Alma use this (Greek) term?

Pelagoram,

Parapunte's remarks suggest we're still not in possession of some of the Lord's teachings and doctrines, and I don't expect we'll have them until we become more mature in the faith. The foundamental Christian teachings are love and service. You find them in most Christian denominations, as well as all the religions of the world

Interesting, but the LDS church hasn't really gotten much new on anything anytime lately. Are you folks just not maturing as well as they did in the 1800s? Everything relevant to your salvation is supposedly out, and nothing more has beeen coming, so it doesn't seem like there's going to be any more until we sit (kneel) at judgement.

Thats is a bunch of bosh and you know it.

Possibly not (not the bosh part, but the "you know it" part).

People tend to see what they expect to see even if it isn't there. Since ds appears to expect Mormons to see others as unworthy, it is not surprising that LDS behaviour is interpreted (incorrectly in my experience) that way by ds.

I am very suspicious of comments that only allow a group to respond in one way. Very contrary to human nature and therefore very likely unrealistic.

Why don't we just say that Christianity does not accept us because they have distorted Christianity beyond the scope of truth.
There are only certain subsets of Christianity that exclude LDS this way and from personal experience, I can say that not all members of those subsets agree (just as some nonsubset members agree with the subset).

I like CS Lewis' take on the "we Christians" label--he calls it Spiritual Pride and places it squarely in the realm of devilish tricks (Screwtape Letters).

randyc said: "Interesting, but the LDS church hasn't really gotten much new on anything anytime lately."

The problem is in processing what we have received already. When I bring some of it up in gospel doctrine class (when I'm teaching) I am 'counseled' or released.

A better question is, "Is Mormonism Christian?" That way the focus is upon the theological system, and not the people in the system. For there is little doubt that there are some Christians among the LDS. After all, the LDS spend most of their time proselytizing those who are already Christians. On the other hand, is it possible that anyone could ever become a Christian given the theology of Mormonism? An honest appraisal should lead one to a definitive, "No."

This endless debate about who is Christian is pointless. It all depends on how you define the word Christian. Evangelicals tend to use a more restrictive definition based on acceptance of creeds, whereas most people would say those who believe Jesus Christ is their Savior are Christians. Is it possible that anyone could be led to believe in Jesus Christ as the Savior given the theology of Mormonism? An honest appraisal should lead one to a definite "Yes."

Agreed. Talking about "who" is Christian is pointless, at least to a certain degree, for only God knows for sure who is, and who is not, Christian.

Conversely, discussing theological systems that claim to be Christian, and are not, is not pointless at all. In fact, the Christian is commanded by God to beware of those peddling beliefs that are contrary to Christian teaching, yet wish to be thought of as true to the faith. And once again, an honest and open appraisal of what Mormonism teaches about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Sin, Salvation, the Church, etc., should lead one to the conclusion that LDS beliefs could be everything but what it claims to be, and that is Christian.

But to say Mormons' are not Christians is to say that Mormons' don't believe that Jesus is the Christ. That is my feeling. In other words, Christians take upon themselves the name of Christ and do always remember Him.

THAT IS A CHRISTIAN... And we know there is only one Christ, even that same Jesus who was born unto the Virgin Mary. To say we believe of some other Jesus is also a point others will argue. But there is only one name under heaven whereby salvation can come. That is the name of Jesus the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

I get frustrated, angry, and I think even a little sad; but surely I get frustrated and angry...

The problem with your explanation is that it ignores the many interrelated doctrinal beliefs in LDS thought that are contrary to biblical teaching. For not only does Mormonism espouse a belief about Jesus that is contrary to what the Bible has to say about him, other beliefs about God, Sin, Salvation, etc., which are related to the person of Jesus are equally at variance. And to simply say that the LDS believe in Jesus just like anyone else may be true in sense of the Jesus they say they believe in, but if that Jesus is not the same person as the one revealed in scripture (2 Cor. 11:4), and in fact, the LDS are following an imposter, then just what kind of "Christian" can the LDS be?

Christians take upon themselves the name of Christ and do always remember Him

I am in no way willing to ascribe this to myself. Sounds fine in word, but I know where it came from, and accepting this would affirm my devotion to the BOM and D&C. No thanks.

The problem with your explanation is that it ignores the many interrelated doctrinal beliefs in LDS thought that are contrary to biblical teaching.

What you're saying is that LDS are not Biblians. That's true. We don't adore the Bible, we don't think it is perfect, we don't think it has been magically preserved by the power of God, and we don't think we must interpret it the way other people have interpreted it before. That's true. We're not Biblians.

But we believe in Christ. We are Christians.

Del

The problem with your explanation is that it ignores the many interrelated doctrinal beliefs in LDS thought that are contrary to biblical teaching.

I would like to add that there are many things in the bible that we do believe that others ignore. As Del Said we are not worshipers of men's interpretations of the bible, we worship God. One slight niggle with what Del said - I believe that our doctrines are in accord with what is in the bible more so than any of the other faiths I have looked into.

One slight niggle with what Del said - I believe that our doctrines are in accord with what is in the bible more so than any of the other faiths I have looked into.

Hey, I believe that too! :P But this one is hardly an objective comment, which is why I didn't include it in the list.

Del

randyc said: "Can you explain your last point a little and comment on what you think of that situation?"

We are so used to teaching the basic physical individuality of each member of the Godhead that we overlook their Oneness, which goes far beyond mere agreement. I try to stress that in my lessons in order to emphasize their unity and indwelling nature rather than the ways they differ. It usually comes out sounding like trinitarianism, and bothers a lot of people. All things center in Christ, and the Father wants us to look to Him for all truth and all blessings. But we often find ourselves setting Jesus aside and emphasizing the Father in our lessons and talks. The Godhead is not a presidency. Jesus is not the Father's first counselor. Jesus is running the program of our salvation; that is His stewardship. If the Father speaks it is to testify of the Son and that's as far as He goes. Jesus received His blessings from the Father and we receive our blessings from Jesus. It's simple.

Their individuality, though, is essential to understanding the spiritual family nature of mankind and God as our literal Father.

In fact, the Christian is commanded by God to beware of those peddling beliefs that are contrary to Christian teaching, yet wish to be thought of as true to the faith.

That is why I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ and not to other faiths that deny the need for revelation, the priesthood, the organization of the church as Christ organized it, have changed the ordinances - or even claim they are not needed, deny the litteral resurrection of Christ thinking it was only spiritual, lost understanding of divine investure and replaced it with "the Trinity", and teach of an unjust God that does not allow all mankind access to the fullness of the gospel.

I guess we are agreed on this one.

And once again, an honest and open appraisal of what Mormonism teaches about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Sin, Salvation, the Church, etc., should lead one to the conclusion that LDS beliefs could be everything but what it claims to be, and that is Christian.

And once again, an honest and open appraisal of what trinitarians teach about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Sin, Salvation the Church, etc., should lead one to the conclusion that trinitarian beliefs could be everything but what they claim to be, and that is Christian.

What you're saying is that LDS are not Biblians. That's true. We don't adore the Bible, we don't think it is perfect, we don't think it has been magically preserved by the power of God, and we don't think we must interpret it the way other people have interpreted it before. That's true. We're not Biblians.

But we believe in Christ. We are Christians.

Del

"Biblians?" That's a new one. Anyway, once again, being a Christian has absolutely nothing to do with adoration of the Bible (I'm sure you meant that in a perjorative sense). It has to do with understanding what the Bible has to say about some very specific doctrines, how they are interrelated, and then ascribing to them.

LDS beliefs about God, Jesus, Sin, Salvation, the Church, etc., are all contrary to what the Bible has to say about each of them. Therefore, if a LDS is a Christian, it is not because of what they have accepted as true according to Mormonism, but in spite of it. Which is why I stated earlier, one cannot really know how many Christians there might actually be in the LDS Church, given that the LDS target "Christians" in their proselytizing efforts. In other words, a person is already Christian before entering the LDS Church. Conversely, one can be sure that no one will ever become a Christian if they accept what Mormonism has to teach, theologically. For LDS theology cannot lead one to become a Christian. Not only is it humanly impossible, but it is theologically impossible as well.

PD1:

LDS beliefs about God, Jesus, Sin, Salvation, the Church, etc., are all contrary to what the Bible has to say about each of them.

False.

They are contrary to what "Modern biblians" say the bible says.

But Christians from the first century interpet the Bilbe more closely to the way Mormons do than the way Modern Biblians do.

Why are modern biblians cutting off their foundation?

I would like to add that there are many things in the bible that we do believe that others ignore. As Del Said we are not worshipers of men's interpretations of the bible, we worship God. One slight niggle with what Del said - I believe that our doctrines are in accord with what is in the bible more so than any of the other faiths I have looked into.

When it comes to the essential doctrines, LDS theology is non-Christian. So, it really does not matter what the LDS say that they believe that others supposedly do not. For if there is a definitive denial, or distortion, of that which is basic to one being, or becoming, a Christian, then stating that whomever believes in whatever is in reality a denial or distortion as well. And it is because LDS theology is authored by men that the denials and distortions are evident. So, once again, if there are Christians in the LDS Church, it is not because of what its theology teaches, it is in spite of it.

In fact, the Christian is commanded by God to beware of those peddling beliefs that are contrary to Christian teaching, yet wish to be thought of as true to the faith.

That is why I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ and not to other faiths that deny the need for revelation, the priesthood, the organization of the church as Christ organized it, have changed the ordinances - or even claim they are not needed, deny the litteral resurrection of Christ thinking it was only spiritual, lost understanding of divine investure and replaced it with "the Trinity", and teach of an unjust God that does not allow all mankind access to the fullness of the gospel.

I guess we are agreed on this one.

And once again, an honest and open appraisal of what Mormonism teaches about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Sin, Salvation, the Church, etc., should lead one to the conclusion that LDS beliefs could be everything but what it claims to be, and that is Christian.

And once again, an honest and open appraisal of what trinitarians teach about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Sin, Salvation the Church, etc., should lead one to the conclusion that trinitarian beliefs could be everything but what they claim to be, and that is Christian.

Actually, you're twisting not only my words, but God's words as well. For the reasons you cite for being a member of the LDS Church are not reasons for one being a Christian. Furthermore, as already stated before, if the basic doctrines in Mormonism are flawed

Archived