Seriously No Politics ×

Jesus Christ

Tanyan

Some time ago one of our LDS critic friends posted that THE LORD OF LIFE JESUS CHRIST was not male anymore after he ascended to Heaven in Acts 1:9-10 and has no real sexual identity there in the Heavenly sphere where [He ?] resides. I was under the impression that we [along with millions of other Christians call him the GOD "MAN"]. What are the thoughts of any on this Topic/Subject ?. Grace to all.

Tanyan writes,

Some time ago one of our LDS critic friends posted that THE LORD OF LIFE JESUS CHRIST was not male anymore after he ascended to Heaven in Acts 1:9-10 and has no real sexual identity there in the Heavenly sphere where [He ?] resides. I was under the impression that we [along with millions of other Christians call him the GOD "MAN"]. What are the thoughts of any on this Topic/Subject ?. Grace to all.

Here are some Catholic thoughts:

- In no way is God in man's image. He is neither man nor woman. God is pure spirit in which there is no place for the difference between the sexes. (CCC370).

- Christ's Ascension marks the definitive entrance of Jesus' humanity into God's heavenly domain, whence he will come again (cf. Acts 1:11); this humanity in the meantime hides him from the eyes of men (cf. Col 3:3) (CCC665).

- Henceforth Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father: "By 'the Father's right hand' we understand the glory and honour of divinity, where he who exists as Son of God before all ages, indeed as God, of one being with the Father, is seated bodily after he became incarnate and his flesh was glorified." [st. John Damascene, Defide orth. 4, 2: PG 94, 1104C] (CCC663).

For more discussion see the following links:

God is neither man nor woman.

His flesh was glorified

In no way is God in man's image. He is neither man nor woman. God is pure spirit in which there is no place for the difference between the sexes. (CCC370).

So much for all the masculine pro-nouns used in the old and new testiment. When Christ refered to His Father He really ment "my genderless essence". Sorry Johnny, with all the scriptural evidence as to God being a man, why did philosophers come on the seen and throw a monkey wrench into this - clear as day - belief that God the Father is a masculine being? What is even more puzzling is that others haven fallen for even more doctrines of men, that in this case have no scriptural backing.

emaughan    writes,

So much for all the masculine pro-nouns used in the old and new testiment.

So much for the language of faith ... God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. By calling God "Father", the language of faith indicates two main things: that God is the first origin of everything and transcendent authority; and that he is at the same time goodness and loving care for all his children. In Israel, God is called "Father" inasmuch as he is Creator of the world.

- In no way is God in man's image. He is neither man nor woman. God is pure spirit in which there is no place for the difference between the sexes. (CCC370).

Funny how the Bible states one thing and the RCC says another.

Genesis 1:26

I say Jesus was both. How can he be all knowing if he never experienced childbirth, or what it means to be a woman.

And I also belive that Jesus can be any form he wants...either man or woman.

And for your information, the women also have the Priesthood. It is equal for both man and a woman in the LDS church.

And Moxy, Christ is only masculine. He cannot transform shape or being. This is a certainty in LDS Doctrine (and that of many other faiths). Even the Holy Ghost cannot become something he is not, though he can send representatives of his presence.

Also, the women in the LDS church do not hold the same priesthood. They hold Mothehood, a priceless gift with a sphere of authority. Theirs if different. It is in the same way that men have one part of the essence to create life adn women the other. Both are essential to the other, both have their realms of influence/authority, and together they amke a whole. At the same time, it is different.

. . God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. By calling God "Father", the language of faith indicates two main things: that God is the first origin of everything and transcendent authority; and that he is at the same time goodness and loving care for all his children. In Israel, God is called "Father" inasmuch as he is Creator of the world.

OK, go ahead and say "it" instead of "he" and "Parent" instead of "Father" and "Child" instead of "Son" for the catholic position when comparing views on your web site. Fine by me if that is what you believe and you want it to be an honest representation of *your* position. :P

I say Jesus was both. How can he be all knowing if he never experienced childbirth, or what it means to be a woman.

In the same way He can know what is in our hearts without also living our lives.

And I also belive that Jesus can be any form he wants...either man or woman.

And yet He carefully showed those who knew Him that His body was the same one with the same wounds He had received on the cross. And that He was not spirit only.

Is an unjust man after God's likeness?

Yes - we are all children of God. If the unjust man never accepts christ will He be exalted - no. Just because my children are in my likeness does not mean that they will all be just as good and wonderfull as I am :P .

emaughan    writes,

Yes - we are all children of God.  If the unjust man never accepts christ will He be exalted - no. 

Being children of God does not necessarily mean were are in his likeness.

Does an unjust man have the same glory as a just man?

If we are all children of God why do some become adopted children of God ... what is the difference?

See the following link for more discussions:

Men Can Become Adopted Children of God

emaughan    writes,

I'll go with what the bible says on this one.

The Bible reveals that :

- Adam was created in the image and likenss

- all men fall short of the glory of God because of Adam's fall

- men become adopted sons of God when they are reborn

What does Mormonism teach?

Archived