Sign in to follow this  
poptart

Advice and guidance.

Was hoping for advice and/or guidance from all of you.  Here’s where I’m at, I’ve finally started to really move past the hell I had to go through for 6 years, a lot of it was fallout from domestic violence and almost being homeless while trying to be employed.  Might have just solved a lot of my problems, hopefully will be in an LPN program next year, after that mom will be retiring and we’ll be moving. 

I’ve had to go through a lot, most of my problems stem from the hell my father put both of us through plus the bad people I had to live around.  Sucks being poor, either people think it’s your own fault or just don’t care, seems like the only people who want to associate with you are slimeballs, I’ve noticed this more and more as times get worse.  That being said, I’ve been very leary over whom I associate with.  Besides myself, moms the main concern as she’s not from here and has not exactly been treated well.  Also, she’s now elderly.  This was the other reason why I opted to change fields, besides white collar being what it is now, nursing allows me to travel here and there and not need a social media presence.  It blows my mind how nowadays most employers in white collar (some in retail even) will not touch you if you don’t have a social media presence, it’s basically a free social credit score anymore.  Anyway, as I progress I’m realizing that I do need people, especially as I get older. 
My time with organized religion in WA was interesting, something I’ll give the LDS, they understand the concept of helping their own.  A lot of it was my own experience, that being said it was something I noticed, most churches either don’t have the resources or just don’t care.  Even Catholic Charities was hit or miss, knew one that was good and they helped everyone, half their parish were natives.  Still, they were a far cry from your average suburban parish that tended to be insular and well, little better than anyone else when it came to helping the poor.  The saint I know who does work closely with social services up there even made that complaint, he gave up trying to refer people to churches for the same reasons I gave up on them.  He did what he could with state resources and what he could get from the church but even then it was a struggle.  That being said, for any of you who do have experience with what I’ve had to go through, what advice would you offer?  I have no qualms hanging out at a ward, thing is I have no interest at all in converting and am worried about just being told to leave once that comes out.  Nothing against religious people but geez, seems like anymore it’s all politics and money here. 

• Like 1

You are not likely to be told to leave an LDS chapel just because you come to meetings and don't convert.  Besides, the meetings now only last 2 hours, so its not too demanding.  LDS people are quite restrained and well-behaved, so they simply sit respectfully and listen to sermons or testimonies.  Most of them have their own problems to deal with.  If and when they ask questions, just be as vague as seems necessary.

And a silent prayer now and then might not hurt.

9 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You are not likely to be told to leave an LDS chapel just because you come to meetings and don't convert.  Besides, the meetings now only last 2 hours, so its not too demanding.  LDS people are quite restrained and well-behaved, so they simply sit respectfully and listen to sermons or testimonies.  Most of them have their own problems to deal with.  If and when they ask questions, just be as vague as seems necessary.

And a silent prayer now and then might not hurt.

So at the very least I'd be welcome?  That's cool.  I felt out of place where I was at the last time, was told wards can vary.

40 minutes ago, poptart said:

I have no qualms hanging out at a ward, thing is I have no interest at all in converting and am worried about just being told to leave once that comes out.  Nothing against religious people but geez, seems like anymore it’s all politics and money here. 

The "money" you get from the bishop or supplies from the storehouse come mostly from the tithes/offerings of members... the bishop is the steward of those funds and is bound to administer them efficiently and compassionately... he follows established guidelines... I know that the bishop has some leeway to help non-members for a certain time, but IIRC there is a limit on how long and how much he can do.  Someone correct me if I am wrong in this... as to my personal opinion, I'm all for helping non-members briefly, but do not want resources to be unlimited... just going on and on... we have too many faithful member families that need help who try to contribute as they can... 

GG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

The "money" you get from the bishop or supplies from the storehouse come mostly from the tithes/offerings of members... the bishop is the steward of those funds and is bound to administer them efficiently and compassionately... he follows established guidelines... I know that the bishop has some leeway to help non-members for a certain time, but IIRC there is a limit on how long and how much he can do.  Someone correct me if I am wrong in this... as to my personal opinion, I'm all for helping non-members briefly, but do not want resources to be unlimited... just going on and on... we have too many faithful member families that need help who try to contribute as they can... 

GG

I didn't mean the LDS Church, I meant a lot of the other religious orgs out there.  You guys are cool. 

I'll share this, I would see people often convert just to mooch off church welfare.  Never forget my time at DI, everyone was asking me to discount electronics for them, that and get the bishop to pay their rent.  They had been members of the church for like, a month or so.  I had a roommate who had a rap sheet with the local PD a mile long, she converted and forced her son to as well, bishop was paying for everything, meanwhile she was popping pills, sleeping around and spent half the time drunk.  She was the one I turned into CPS, her son was being abused big time, I probably saved the kids life.

All I wanted to do was get back on my feet, not be a leech.  Was grateful for what help I got, no one else cared.  If I could i'd pay em back, something I think most people never do.

Edited by poptart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

The "money" you get from the bishop or supplies from the storehouse come mostly from the tithes/offerings of members... the bishop is the steward of those funds and is bound to administer them efficiently and compassionately... he follows established guidelines... I know that the bishop has some leeway to help non-members for a certain time, but IIRC there is a limit on how long and how much he can do.  Someone correct me if I am wrong in this... as to my personal opinion, I'm all for helping non-members briefly, but do not want resources to be unlimited... just going on and on... we have too many faithful member families that need help who try to contribute as they can... ...

Local bishops have the Holy Spirit to guide them in all of that, as I'm sure you know.  Beyond that, the LDS Church spends millions of dollars in welfare for non-Members through the Presiding Bishop, much of it by funding non-LDS charitable organizations.  Quite often, those we help don't know the source of that help, and they are among those who hate us the most.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, poptart said:

....................  Was grateful for what help I got, no one else cared.  If I could i'd pay em back, something I think most people never do.

It is often an investment by God in people who sincerely need it, and they usually pay it back later a hundred fold.  God makes some good investments.

5 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It is often an investment by God in people who sincerely need it, and they usually pay it back later a hundred fold.  God makes some good investments.

It's appreciated too, charity is so hard to come by nowadays.  Flip side is so many people exploit it, that makes me sick.  Homeless families out there and slimeballs just take advantage of others goodwill. 

4 hours ago, poptart said:

It's appreciated too, charity is so hard to come by nowadays.  Flip side is so many people exploit it, that makes me sick.  Homeless families out there and slimeballs just take advantage of others goodwill. 

Yeh, but, in the meantime, the kids get the help they need.  Maybe the next generation of that slimeball family will do better.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yeh, but, in the meantime, the kids get the help they need.  Maybe the next generation of that slimeball family will do better.

In that kids case and in the many other poor i saw in tacoma and seattle i doubt it.  I knew of orgs that voted down to have a homeless youth shelter built, made me sick to my stomach.  My generation especially irritates me, all the entitlement of the previous generations with none of the common sense.  I like the old African proverb, if you don't initiate the young they will return as adults and destroy the village. 

• Like 1