Sign in to follow this  
bsjkki

Mexican ambush kills family in massacre

Breaking News. Nine killed in highway massacre in Mexico. Member family involved. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1076361?__twitter_impression=true

Truly horrifying. 

At least nine U.S. citizens, including six children, were killed in a massacre in the Mexican border state of Sonora Monday, a relative to many of the victims told NBC News. The dead included 8-month-old twins, said the family member, Kendra Lee Miller. Some of the eight survivors, all of whom are children, sustained serious injuries. Miller said a 9-month-old child was shot in the chest and a 4-year-old was shot in the back.”

“El Universal, one of Mexico's largest newspapers, quoted other relatives as saying that members of a Mormon family were killed in what appeared to be an organized crime ambush.” ...

Miller, the relative of the victims, recounted dramatic details from the young survivors. She said Devin Langford, 13, escaped uninjured and then walked for about 14 miles to La Mora for help after hiding his wounded siblings in bushes and covering them with branches.

A bullet grazed Mckenzie Langford, 9, in the arm but she also went to find help after Devin did not come back. Miller said Mckenzie got lost and walked for hours in the dark before she was found by search parties.

Miller said Rhonita Miller was on her way to a shopping trip in Arizona with her family and the others were going to Chihuahua to visit family when the attack happened. The victims lived in La Mora, Miller said, which is about 75 miles south of the U.S. border. The community is descended from Mormon settlers, and some members are still practicing members of the church."

Edited by bsjkki
H

Devastating for a family of any religion to be sure.  How terribly awful. 

• Like 2

Apparently they belong to a polygamous sect:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-now/lebaron-slayings-several-family-members-including-4-children-killed-in-mexico-relatives-say/1005186172

Relatives told Reuters the people slain belonged to the LeBaron family and were members of a break-away Mormon church that settled decades earlier in northern Mexico. The country's security secretary, Alfonso Durazo, said the victims included at least three women and six children.

A terrible loss.

15 minutes ago, Jake Starkey said:

Horrifying.  Polygamy is immaterial to the story.

I agree but due to headlines that just state "Mormon family" most will think these are members of the mainstream church. The story and horror of it and our sorrow should not change but it is an important clarification for accuracy's sake. It is an absolutely horrible story with international repercussions. The President has weighed in offering our support in wiping out the drug cartels. I can't believe they killed babies and children. 

• Like 1

I agree with you, bsjkki.

As far as the horror of babies and children being shot and killed, keep in mind Haun's Mill and Mountain Meadows.

Humans are capable of the worst horrors.

• Like 1

Knew a Marine who ended up working for boarder patrol when he came back, the cartels are terrifying especially the Zetas.  The USA should have done something a long time ago, the cartels are in pretty much any major US city, they push heroin, meth and other cheaper drugs on the homeless and cocaine to the wealthier people.  People wanted stricter boarder controls for a long time and as of late every time there was a push for it there was push back from the entitled idiots here who got to live in their safe suburbs away from the crazy.  I remember living in WA when the whole sanctuary cities thing exploded, the cartels took full advantage of it and tend to hang around Auburn, supplying Seattle with Heroin and Belleview with Cocaine.  What happened to these people was horrible, thing is the cartels have been doing this for a while now.  There are vids out there that show just how horrible these people can be, seen my share.  I know that the likes of Romney have roots there, bottom line if you want to live in or near cartel territory be prepared for very, very brutal things.  Not sure where these people lived in relation to where the cartels operate, that being said if I had a family I'd probably not live anywhere near Mexico right now.  Had a buddy leave SoCal a few years ago, it's a circus now.

Something I'd keep in mind esp. as things here worsen economically and places start struggling to afford law enforcement you may well see more of this.  Considering how drugs now affect even those in *safe*, gated surburbs unless you can live semi off grid and away from a major city you may well start seeing more of this.  What would really scare me is if the cartels start hiring people here, we have a large enough homeless population who've been marginalized by US society who would make prime recruits.  The cartels would often hire people who had no other option and look at em now, they made the Mexican gov't stand down. 

I'd love to see the cartels be removed, they're a blight on the world.  That being said, I don't think Americans in general have any idea just what they may be in for, they've been sheltered for so long that I think many of them can't fathom what cruelty these people are not only capable of but gladly do daily.  Glad I don't have kids and have some mobility, the lower 48s scares me more and more.

Edited by poptart
  • Like 1

I had a client involved with the LeBarons and these people in particular.  They had conflicts with the cartels. Dangerous place to live. 

• Like 2

Just please not another military action to fight a “war on drugs” please. I am afraid to Google this because I expect to see calls for it.

Edit: I googled it. I should not have. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Edited by The Nehor
Insanity
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I had a client involved with the LeBarons and these people in particular.  They had conflicts with the cartels. Dangerous place to live. 

Yep.  See here (publised in 2009):

COLONIA LEBARÓN, Mexico — When a 16-year-old boy was kidnapped from this fundamentalist Mormon community in early May, ransom was set at $1 million. The town chose not to pay.

Instead, led by the boy’s older brother, members of the community traveled to the state capital, Chihuahua, to demand that the government catch the kidnappers. Nobody knows exactly why, but seven days later, the boy was freed.

Soon, from other towns scattered in the valleys that stretch under the purple-rimmed mountains of the Sierra Madre, farmers facing extortion and intimidation began pleading with the crusading brother, Benjamín LeBarón — a great-grandson of the Mormon community’s founder — for help.

He tried, forming a group to help towns put pressure on the authorities. And then he was dead.

On July 7 at 1 a.m., four S.U.V.’s rumbled to the home he shared with his wife and five children. Armed men pried open the front door. Luis Widmar, his brother-in-law who lived nearby, burst in to try to help. But the gunmen took both men away. Their bodies were found later that day with a note accusing them of providing information leading to the arrests of gang members in a nearby town.
“The extortion began about a year ago,” said one Colonia LeBarón resident who left Mexico after Mr. LeBarón and Mr. Widmar were killed, and asked not to be identified out of fear for his life. “We think the narcos’ money is drying up and they are resorting to whatever they have to do.” People here say they believe that the military presence on the border has pushed gangs into the countryside.

The local police chief was killed in November. Armed men followed the mayor’s children and his wife as they went to school.
The town was settled in the 1940s by Alma Dayer LeBarón, who had come to Chihuahua with other Mormon settlers but was excommunicated after he took a second wife. Polygamy is fading now, but many adults have dozens of siblings, and much of the town is related by marriage. Benjamín LeBarón was one of his father’s 51 children.

The people here favor English over Spanish and worship in a sand-colored, wooden church decorated with framed quotes from George Washington and Benjamin Franklin.

They have dual citizenship, and many work for years in the United States to earn money to buy land and build houses here. The village is surrounded by chile fields and pecan orchards.

But there is also a dark side. Benjamín LeBarón’s grandfather Joel, the son of Alma Dayer LeBarón and revered by many in the community as a prophet, was killed in 1972 by followers of his brother, Ervil, at a settlement the brothers had set up in Baja California. Ervil LeBarón’s cult continued its killing spree in the United States for more than 15 years.

Those who worked to help set up SOS Chihuahua do not know how they will carry it on. The town is terrified. There are no children playing on the lawns or riding their bikes along the gravel streets. The crunch of a coming truck provokes an anxious glance, but it’s just a neighbor.

My father's parents both grew up in Colonia Juarez, which is about an hour away from Colonia LeBaron.  My father and brother and I traveled there some years ago (in 2006).  We stopped briefly in Colonia LeBaron.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Yep.  See here (publised in 2009):

My father's parents both grew up in Colonia Juarez, which is about an hour away from Colonia LeBaron.  My father and brother and I traveled there some years ago (in 2006).  We stopped briefly in Colonia LeBaron.

Thanks,

-Smac

Vice did a documentary on the Mormon Colonies down there a while ago, was always curious about the darker side of it all.

2 hours ago, poptart said:

bottom line if you want to live in or near cartel territory be prepared for very, very brutal things.

I total absolutely agree with you that cartels are brutal and something needs to be done. I do, however, disagree with some parts of this statement. The cartels were battling over Juarez, Mexico, making it at one point the murder capital of the world. Right across the river is El Paso, Texas, one of the safest cities in the US for its size. It's a sad juxtaposition, but the cartels kept their violence in Juarez.

I live close to the border and about 40 miles from El Paso. We don't have cartel violence here, either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I total absolutely agree with you that cartels are brutal and something needs to be done. I do, however, disagree with some parts of this statement. The cartels were battling over Juarez, Mexico, making it at one point the murder capital of the world. Right across the river is El Paso, Texas, one of the safest cities in the US for its size. It's a sad juxtaposition, but the cartels kept their violence in Juarez.

I live close to the border and about 40 miles from El Paso. We don't have cartel violence here, either.

That's why I tossed out the not sure where they lived part, had no idea where they were and I figured someone here may.  I try to be more open to learning from others vs. just causing arguments anymore, more productive and well, reminds me of an old 60's expression "It doesn't bake any bread".  Miss my old hippie/vietnam vet teachers from when I was growing up, such good people.  World needs more folks like that nowadays. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Breaking News. Nine killed in highway massacre in Mexico. Member family involved. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1076361?__twitter_impression=true

Truly horrifying. 

At least nine U.S. citizens, including six children, were killed in a massacre in the Mexican border state of Sonora Monday, a relative to many of the victims told NBC News. The dead included 8-month-old twins, said the family member, Kendra Lee Miller. Some of the eight survivors, all of whom are children, sustained serious injuries. Miller said a 9-month-old child was shot in the chest and a 4-year-old was shot in the back.”

“El Universal, one of Mexico's largest newspapers, quoted other relatives as saying that members of a Mormon family were killed in what appeared to be an organized crime ambush.” ...

Miller, the relative of the victims, recounted dramatic details from the young survivors. She said Devin Langford, 13, escaped uninjured and then walked for about 14 miles to La Mora for help after hiding his wounded siblings in bushes and covering them with branches.

A bullet grazed Mckenzie Langford, 9, in the arm but she also went to find help after Devin did not come back. Miller said Mckenzie got lost and walked for hours in the dark before she was found by search parties.

Miller said Rhonita Miller was on her way to a shopping trip in Arizona with her family and the others were going to Chihuahua to visit family when the attack happened. The victims lived in La Mora, Miller said, which is about 75 miles south of the U.S. border. The community is descended from Mormon settlers, and some members are still practicing members of the church."

This story sickens me, the Southern border is becoming a war zone, and the other side is winning. It must stop, I blame the cartels, and the countless millions who fuel the drug trade her in the U.S.!

1 hour ago, poptart said:

Vice did a documentary on the Mormon Colonies down there a while ago, was always curious about the darker side of it all.

I watched that just a few months ago.  Rather fascinating.  Here it is: 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

This story sickens me, the Southern border is becoming a war zone, and the other side is winning. It must stop, I blame the cartels, and the countless millions who fuel the drug trade her in the U.S.!

I live on the southern border and where I'm at it is NOT a war zone at all.

These murders took place in Mexico, not in the US. They horrific, absolutely, but I just want to make sure that facts remain straight about where they happened.

Horrific.  I've read reports (which I'm hoping are false) that some of the women may have been raped, and some victims are still missing.  

"What can men do against such reckless hate?"

Edited by bluebell

42 minutes ago, blarsen said:

I watched that just a few months ago.  Rather fascinating.  Here it is: 

Some thoughts:

1. Some language in the above video (and fleeting temple content), so beware.

2. This was apparently shot in 2012, when the the murder rate for Ciudad Juarez had recently been very high (it's highpoint was in 2010).  It has gone way down since then:

a01_jd_26dec_Juarez-640x376.png

3. The Vice journalist appears to be pretty dumb.

He seems rather sorry-not-sorry that the drug culture his employer has trumpeted for years necessarily involves the production, transporation, and distribution of those drugs, and all the violence attendant to these efforts.

He says, as an aside, that "Mormons aren't allowed to have guns," (5:40), but then says "So basically, it's a straight shot to the Mormons, their guns, and their God" (6:20).  Both of these statements are dumb and misleading.

He says that the "Mormon colonies" are "fighting the narcos"  (7:20).  

He says that Joseph Smith believed that "you can only reach the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom, or heaven, if you were actually a partner in a plural marriage" (7:50).

He says "Here, in the seclusion of the Mexican desert, they could practice all the standard Mormon rituals like baptizing the dead, or wearing magic underwear, but also the more controversial plural marriage.  Or, as we were soon to find out, the outright insane practice of blood atonement" (8:05).

He shoots video of himself in Colonia Juarez, then immediately goes on to Colonia LeBaron and starts talking about Brent LeBaron and his weapons.

Virtually everything he says in the first ten minutes is dumb, false, exaggerated/misleading, or some combination thereof.

I stopped watching after that.  It's sensationalistic crap.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, smac97 said:

2. This was apparently shot in 2012, when the the murder rate for Ciudad Juarez had recently been very high (it's highpoint was in 2010).  It has gone way down since then:

a01_jd_26dec_Juarez-640x376.png

Yeah, it's so much better now. I think one of the cartels finally beat the other. I feel safe going to visit again.

On a side note, Molly Molloy, who compiled this graph, is an acquantice of mine.

38 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Some thoughts:

1. Some language in the above video (and fleeting temple content), so beware.

3. The Vice journalist appears to be pretty dumb. . . . . . .

Virtually everything he says in the first ten minutes is dumb, false, exaggerated/misleading, or some combination thereof.

I stopped watching after that.  It's sensationalistic crap.

Thanks,

-Smac

I watched the video for the interviews the VIce guy did with various LDS/Fundamentalist folk.  Fascinating.  He did a good job with this.  I came away with the impression they were tough, self-reliant, intelligent and aware folk.  But regarding your complaints, this was from VIce News.  What would you expect from such?

After watching another documentary by the fellow (on aftermath of civil war in Liberia, principally Monrovia; absolutely horrific), I got curious about the interviewer and learned he was the principal/originator of Vice News, is now a billionaire and lives in a gated community in Bell Air or some such, so he's parlayed his stupid in a fairly clever fashion.

Edited by blarsen
  • Like 1

Incidents like this make me even more aware of how precious our 2nd Amendment rights are, and the importance of protecting our borders.  And perhaps following Portugal's lead in legalizing drugs and putting their resources into addressing the root causes of addiction and providing direct help for those caught in its maelstrom.

There was another recent large confrontation between the Cartels and the Mexican army resulting in a very high casualty rate among the army, and almost their complete route.  Shades of the Book of Mormon anyone?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poptart said:

We need to take the cartel out, it would solve a lot of problems. I've read comments on FB about this, one of them was to just threaten to not vacationing in Mexico for a while, to see what that might do and if the government would finally crack down to get our tourist dollars. But it's probably pretty corrupt in the first place. But maybe this incident will start something good, I hope so and these deaths won't go in vain. My heart goes out to these families. 

Edited by Tacenda

50 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I feel safe going to visit again.

Just make sure you are not driving an SUV! 

9 minutes ago, blarsen said:

I watched the video for the interviews the VIce guy did with various LDS/Fundamentalist folk.  Fascinating.  He did a good job with this.  I came away with the impression they were tough, self-reliant, intelligent and aware folk.  But regarding your complaints, this was from VIce News.  What would you expect from such?

I have expectations of accuracy from news reporting services.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1