Sign in to follow this  
smac97

SL Tribune Now a Nonprofit

Interesting:

The Salt Lake Tribune is now a nonprofit, an unprecedented transformation for a legacy U.S. daily that is intended to bolster its financial prospects during a troubling time for journalism nationwide.

The IRS approved the shift in a letter dated Oct. 29, deeming The Tribune a 501(c)(3) public charity. That means supporters can start making tax deductible donations now.
“The current business model for local newspapers is broken and beyond repair,” said Huntsman, who also serves as The Tribune’s publisher. “We needed to find a way to sustain this vital community institution well beyond my ownership, and nonprofit status will help us do that. This is truly excellent news for all Utah residents and for local news organizations across the country.”

The Tribune, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, will seek donations large and small, coupling them with revenue from advertising and subscriptions and a separate foundation. The Utah Journalism Foundation is creating an endowment to fund independent journalism in Utah, with The Tribune being a big beneficiary.

Those in the journalism industry have kept a close eye on The Tribune’s efforts, seeing it as a potential path forward for other struggling news outlets.
Huntsman, who bought the paper in 2016, will transfer his ownership of The Tribune to a public board of directors, to be fleshed out in the months to come. Huntsman is the chairman of that board and has promised a strict “firewall” between its members and the newsroom, a move to protect The Tribune’s journalistic independence. He also has promised to reject contributions from people who want to direct or influence news coverage.
Some journalism observers wondered if the IRS would require The Tribune to jettison sports coverage or restaurant reviews to become a nonprofit, arguing that those stories might not fit under the educational mission spelled out in the tax law. That didn’t happen.

The IRS accepted The Tribune’s application without limitation. That means The Tribune will continue to provide its full breadth of coverage on politics, the arts, religion, environment, sports, opinion and more.

The Tribune will, however, stop any endorsements of political candidates going forward as required by the law governing nonprofits, but the editorial board, which is separate from the news staff, will continue to opine on the big issues of the day. 
While all cash donations will be tax deductible, there will be no immediate changes to digital or print subscriptions, though it is possible that digital subscriptions will become tax deductible in the future.

I have mixed feelings about this.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

12 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Interesting:

Thanks,

-Smac

Sounds like a variation of the PBS/NPR  model (sans government funding) adapted to print media. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

Welp. Get ready for Runnells to ask his acolytes to donate some of their tithing savings to the Tribune. 

I think it is a smart move in a failing industry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

Welp. Get ready for Runnells to ask his acolytes to donate some of their tithing savings to the Tribune. 

The primary donors will be the Exmo community as the Trib is already their primary "credible"   voice. This should suck donations away from Truth and Transparency; Dehlin and others who are competing for donations as they try to make a living as Exmo proponents. 

• Like 1

If, as some claim, the power to tax is the power to destroy as applied to churches then in makes sense for the press to fall under the same umbrella.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

If, as some claim, the power to tax is the power to destroy as applied to churches then in makes sense for the press to fall under the same umbrella.

Exactly. If "freedom of religion" implies that it is unconstitutional to tax churches, then "freedom of the press" should mean it is unconstitutional to tax newspapers.

Mother Jones magazine is also a non-profit, btw.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smac97 said:

Interesting:

Thanks,

-Smac

This has been in the works for a while. When the Huntsmans bought the paper it was something of a rescue mission. It didn’t work out. You can’t keep infusing money into a failing enterprise, notwithstanding how wealthy you are. This  non-profit thing really is a last-ditch measure for them. 

Next year, the joint-operating agreement with the Deseret News (Newspaper Agency Corp./MediaOne) is up for renewal. I’m curious how that’s going to shake out with this development. 

This is not to rag on the Tribune. Newspapers collectively are a failing industry. And having competing dailies in a market this size is practically unheard of these days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, topcougar said:

The primary donors will be the Exmo community as the Trib is already their primary "credible"   voice. This should suck donations away from Truth and Transparency; Dehlin and others who are competing for donations as they try to make a living as Exmo proponents. 

The Tribune has survived over the years on its ability to play both sides of the street to some degree. If it now gives itself over totally to being an organ for the antis and the apostates, I’m not sure how healthy that will be for it, even as a non-profit. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

44 minutes ago, Analytics said:

Exactly. If "freedom of religion" implies that it is unconstitutional to tax churches, then "freedom of the press" should mean it is unconstitutional to tax newspapers.

Mother Jones magazine is also a non-profit, btw.

This is a simplistic premise. Churches differ from news outlets in that churches are not commercial enterprises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This is a simplistic premise. Churches differ from news outlets in that churches are not commercial enterprises. 

Hopefully, extremist agitprop will discontinue.

48 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

🤣

7 hours ago, pogi said:

I think it is a smart move in a failing industry. 

Time will tell. I’d call it a desperation move at this point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smac97 said:

Interesting:

Thanks,

-Smac

Care to elaborate on your mixed feelings?

Without the SLtrib, the Dez News would turn into the North Korean Chronicle.  The Dez News rarely shows multiple points of view.  Always the church’s point of view. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Without the SLtrib, the Dez News would turn into the North Korean Chronicle.  The Dez News rarely shows multiple points of view.  Always the church’s point of view. 

Um...yes. It's a Church newspaper. I believe presenting the Church's point of view is the point and always has been. That's not a scandal. 

• Like 1

"SL Tribune Now a Nonprofit"

It has always been a non-prophet

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’d call it a desperation move at this point. 

I don’t think Huntsman would disagree with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

?????

Churches differ from news outlets in many ways. That is why freedom of the press and freedom of religion are two distinct concepts.

However, being commercial institutions is one of the ways in which they are similar, not different. 

11 minutes ago, Analytics said:

Churches differ from news outlets in many ways. That is why freedom of the press and freedom of religion are two distinct concepts.

However, being commercial institutions is one of the ways in which they are similar, not different. 

Amazing. Each and every word of your last sentence is false.

2 hours ago, pogi said:

I don’t think Huntsman would disagree with you.

I don't either.

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Are you sure about that?

3 hours ago, 2BizE said:

Amazing. Each and every word of this assertion is false.

Just now, Valentinus said:

Are you sure about that?

Quite sure.