Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bill “Papa” Lee

Now that it has passed, How do each here feel about Halloween, as Latter-day Saints?

Recommended Posts

I have never cared much for Halloween, as it seems to promote a lot of behavior that seem a contradiction to Scriptural doctrines. As retired law-enforcement, I despise it to my very core, for obvious reasons. The crimes and actions of many, especially unsupervised teenagers, via bad acts, vandalism, etc. When I served in our Bishopric, both myself and the other counselor were retired law-enforcement. One year when our Ward was making plans for Halloween, both of us told the Bishop we would not attend. When we failed to attend, he got upset, telling us we should support “all” Ward activities! We both told him that, “we told we would not come”, he then says, “YOU GUYS WERE SERIOUS”?

How do you guys feel about Halloween, and Church sponsored activities?   

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am a Halloween light weight. I have no problem with Halloween as long as it is taken as just a holiday. I am not comfortable at all with horror or slasher themes or costumes.  I do not like and never go to spook alleys.  I don't go to corn mazes because they are close to being spook alleys.  

I have lived in a city of about 20,000 in central Utah for 30 years.  I am not aware of any bad acts, or vandalism occuring on Halloween.  Just trick or treaters.  

Edited by sunstoned
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love it.  No issues here,I can see why cops would dislike the holiday.  Anything that brings people together for a good time is aces for me- Halloween celebrations are a chance to be silly and childlike for many adults and kids love it 

Share this post


Link to post

I would probably like Halloween more if I didn't become a diabetic at age 9. Kind of puts a damper in things.

I think it is fine to dress up, but I don't want to do it. My exercise class was fun on Thursday when about half the class dressed up.

Basically as long as things are not gory etc I have no problem with other people participating. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

We visited temple square a few days ago and the sister missionaries were actually dressed in Halloween type costumes (Alice in wonderland, snow white,  Cinderella, etc)
It is nothing more than a holiday based on a cultural tradition.  Unsupervised teenagers is the fault of their parents and their own choices. 
Not in anyway do I think it as anything evil or against church teachings.  It's just a time to have some fun. 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

We had 6 sister missionaries over plus a young couple, recently graduated from BYU, it was fun! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I find nothing worthy of celebration and much that goes against the gospel and for that reason I dislike Halloween.

That said, why should I ruin my kid's fun dressing up and getting candy?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I have never cared much for Halloween, as it seems to promote a lot of behavior that seem a contradiction to Scriptural doctrines. As retired law-enforcement, I despise it to my very core, for obvious reasons. The crimes and actions of many, especially unsupervised teenagers, via bad acts, vandalism, etc. When I served in our Bishopric, both myself and the other counselor were retired law-enforcement. One year when our Ward was making plans for Halloween, both of us told the Bishop we would not attend. When we failed to attend, he got upset, telling us we should support “all” Ward activities! We both told him that, “we told we would not come”, he then says, “YOU GUYS WERE SERIOUS”?

How do you guys feel about Halloween, and Church sponsored activities?   

Well here in So Cal we have quite  pronounced Mexican influence, and I was thinking that rather than going around and getting candy, wouldn't it be much more appropriate for the Day of the Dead to go to the temple and actually DO something for the dead??  ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rain said:

I would probably like Halloween more if I didn't become a diabetic at age 9. Kind of puts a damper in things.

I think it is fine to dress up, but I don't want to do it. My exercise class was fun on Thursday when about half the class dressed up.

Basically as long as things are not gory etc I have no problem with other people participating. 

I have a close relative who has type 1- and has had it since the age of 2.

She is now 66 and on her second kidney transplant but still active, though she does have trouble seeing.   I believe that is some kind of record, but it can be done.

As a kid it was tremendously difficult just figuring out one's blood sugar level.  She had absolutely saintly parents who became virtual experts in the disease just to give her some semblance of a "normal life".     She's done quite well for herself- it CAN be done!!

Hang in there!!   :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

It has become too commercialized. We have forgotten the true meaning of Halloween.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

All of our holidays are subject to market economy over commercialization of the traditions.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a tradition that includes liberal distribution of substance that we know is pretty harmful for us all (sugar), with no redeeming value.    But I get how fun the costumes can be (if you can afford it/if you are personally creative).    This year was less expensive though because our ward did its thing on Friday when all the candy was half price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It has become too commercialized. We have forgotten the true meaning of Halloween.

 

 

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I have never cared much for Halloween, as it seems to promote a lot of behavior that seem a contradiction to Scriptural doctrines. As retired law-enforcement, I despise it to my very core, for obvious reasons. The crimes and actions of many, especially unsupervised teenagers, via bad acts, vandalism, etc. When I served in our Bishopric, both myself and the other counselor were retired law-enforcement. One year when our Ward was making plans for Halloween, both of us told the Bishop we would not attend. When we failed to attend, he got upset, telling us we should support “all” Ward activities! We both told him that, “we told we would not come”, he then says, “YOU GUYS WERE SERIOUS”?

How do you guys feel about Halloween, and Church sponsored activities?   

I don’t blame the bishop for being confused.  You despise the bad behavior that is associated with Halloween, but refused to support an activity that would keep the kids busy for at least part of the night?

I absolutely hate Mischief Night (October 30) and am thankful every year that I now live in an area that doesn't “celebrate” it.  I think Halloween itself is fun; I just wish we got more (or any) trick-or-treaters at our house.  I have to attend the ward Trunk-or-Treat to see the kids.

I liked Dan Peterson’s take on Halloween:  https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2019/10/halloweens-supposedly-evil-and-satanic-roots.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Traela said:

I don’t blame the bishop for being confused.  You despise the bad behavior that is associated with Halloween, but refused to support an activity that would keep the kids busy for at least part of the night?

I absolutely hate Mischief Night (October 30) and am thankful every year that I now live in an area that doesn't “celebrate” it.  I think Halloween itself is fun; I just wish we got more (or any) trick-or-treaters at our house.  I have to attend the ward Trunk-or-Treat to see the kids.

I liked Dan Peterson’s take on Halloween:  https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2019/10/halloweens-supposedly-evil-and-satanic-roots.html

I think the Bishop was confused more because, both of his counselors joked a lot, and he must have thought it was a joke. But also, I see your point, but like all men I am flawed, and riddled with mistakes in my life. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Traela said:

I  I think Halloween itself is fun; I just wish we got more (or any) trick-or-treaters at our house.  I have to attend the ward Trunk-or-Treat to see the kids.

I liked Dan Peterson’s take on Halloween:  https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2019/10/halloweens-supposedly-evil-and-satanic-roots.html

Thanks for the D Peterson article link.  I think he nailed it.  Next to Christmas, Halloween was the most exciting holiday of my youth.  Trunk-or-Treat has just about killed it in my neck of the woods.  Rather sad to see.

Part of the excitement of the holiday was the slight element of the unknown and maybe a bit of danger, where you had to screw up your nerve to knock on the doors of strange houses and confront people you didn't know.  Sometimes they would require you to sing or dance in exchange for their goodies.  And as Peterson's article indicates, you were confronting and overcoming some rather terrifying concepts, and by dressing up as ghosts, etc., you were in a sense, thumbing your nose ate them.

Kids benefit from that kind of experience . . . maybe had in other ways, but they still need it.

Edited by blarsen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Love Halloween.  Love dressing up, putting on a persona.  My future wife and I volunteered at SLC's the Institute of Terror one season, it was a blast. 

I am quite introverted, and do not enjoy talking about material possessions, sports, and a crapton of stuff people talk about.  I do like talking shop with other borderline-cosplayers who struggle to fly the freak flag only a couple of nights a year.

I am sad my daughters are growing out of it, and I hope they produce grandbabies for me so I can do family Halloween stuff again.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I just miss the good ol' days when a mom could make homemade cookies and give them out...or those big ol' cinnamon rolls and fresh popcorn and popcorn balls.  Seems like after the tylenol scare many years ago...and of course the odd razor blades in candy ...it seems like the generations have lost some real treats.  Sad.  Nothing is the same anymore.  How sad is it that you have to take candy to be checked at stations.  Even our teen years of just mediorcre pranks that were laughed have changed to real damage.  I don't do Halloween...lights out.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I just miss the good ol' days when a mom could make homemade cookies and give them out...or those big ol' cinnamon rolls and fresh popcorn and popcorn balls.  Seems like after the tylenol scare many years ago...and of course the odd razor blades in candy ...it seems like the generations have lost some real treats.  Sad.  Nothing is the same anymore.  How sad is it that you have to take candy to be checked at stations.  Even our teen years of just mediorcre pranks that were laughed have changed to real damage.  I don't do Halloween...lights out.

The razor blade thing was an urban legend. Our own hysteria did in the fun, not actual events.

It is like the idea that self driving cars will easily be tricked:

self_driving_issues_2x.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...