Seriously No Politics ×

Focus Group - your top concerns

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Do you mean receive it?  Or do you mean ordained to an office of the priesthood?  Everyone can "hold" the priesthood. That just takes holding someone who has it.

I like to think that one of the reasons we had a GC talk about the Priesthood and how it is given and used by men and women and specifically how it is inappropriate to call a group of men “the Priesthood” was to kill that joke.

Edited by The Nehor
On 10/28/2019 at 10:58 PM, juliann said:

1.  Equalize the cruel sealing policy that keeps polygamy alive.

2  Equalize  the cruel sealing policy  that targets women. 

3. Equalize the cruel sealing policy and then say “God will work it all out “  

People will always ask why God would do it one way and not another?  Not whether that is his will.  God the Father is male.  His Jewish priesthood (the Levites) are solely male.  Why?  Is God just going along with human weakness?  Why is it that only women bear children?  Is that fair and equitable?  The natural order of things has been unequal in manifold ways?  Why?

and in general, we are now raising a generation of scripturally illiterate members with the new programs  

That reminds me:  Decades ago, the head of Transcendental Meditation, the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, introduced a new program called TM Siddhi (they misspelled it on purpose as sidhi) in which the focus was on obtaining occult powers  -- like levitation -- which took away from the normal pursuits of TM, which were mainly getting a mantra and meditating.

A few thoughts

1) when is one hour church coming?

2) what is the church doing to protect members from the seemingly epidemic of bishops being arrested for sexual abuse?

3) Are the road shows coming back?

4) What is the church doing to extinguish bad church cultures like beards, stupid rules at the BYU schools, modest is the responsibility of women only, etc.

5) young women assisting with sacrament duties and other duties only boys do today. ie. YW set up sacrament table, YW carry microphone to members on F&T meetings, etc.

26 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

A few thoughts

2) what is the church doing to protect members from the seemingly epidemic of bishops being arrested for sexual abuse?

4) What is the church doing to extinguish bad church cultures like beards, stupid rules at the BYU schools, modest is the responsibility of women only, etc.

5) young women assisting with sacrament duties and other duties only boys do today. ie. YW set up sacrament table, YW carry microphone to members on F&T meetings, etc.

1) Millenium.

2) When there is an epidemic or even just a pandemic.

3) When people want to run them. They are exhausting. Are you volunteering?

4) Not much. Your judgement on “bad” and “stupid” is largely subjective. As soon as you are translated for your own righteousness I am sure you can jump in and offer counsel. Good luck.

5) Probably when women become Priesthood holders.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Not maybe, it's what I personally think and have experienced in real time for myself. cells and the body entire have everything to do with behavior, because our body is the only thing we have to do behavior with. Trauma release methods.”

It doesn’t have to be one or the other, does it?Helping one feel physically better isn’t sufficient in most cases imo if someone doesn’t know what to do with that health and energy. While I think we can be taught through the light of Christ, there are many other sensations and ideas being constantly thrown at us through all our senses. Having an environment we easily identify as teaching (church) can help us pay attention to the best messages we are receiving.

Well, trauma release methods are a lot more than feeling physically better, I would say. They are about what we believe, even. (I don't really separate the body into physical, etc, for me it's all energy.) Knowing what to do with our health and energy can be gotten by any wise book or wise youtube video these days. So that's not really the point of what is needed for a/our church or scriptures, either, I don't think. "Be kind. Have Integrity." That's the ethics, if that's what it's about. I think the earth and eternal quest is a deeper progression. While if what you describe is what someone got from church that helped them, that's fine. But that doesn't rise to the level of necessity that it has to be gotten from our particular way of doing it; which is the claim.

I'm just saying if the transformation of the human body and soul and the results from such are a goal (sanctification, peace, etc) then there are so many more things to bring forward and have a foundation of instead of old religious terms and concepts of which the definition has slid over time anyway.

14 hours ago, Ahab said:

Which brings up one of my concerns about Church culture.  I'm concerned that many people do not know what it means to receive the priesthood of God.  Even some members don't seem to understand it, judging by the way they talk about it.

So that we’re on the same page, would you care to elaborate on exactly what you mean here?

13 hours ago, 2BizE said:

A few thoughts

Number five--I'm perplexed as to why some people want to make the girls help out with these responsibilities, why is it a problem to put this task on the young men to do this?  We do consider it a priesthood duty, but even if it's not, and girls or boys can both do it, why insist that the girls have to help?  Are they not getting enough opportunities to serve others?  Do we feel they need to do the setting up and carry around a microphone because the young men shouldn't have to?  Frankly, it sounds like a step backwards to making the 'women folk' do all the serving and waiting on others.  Even in a branch that might not have young men, priesthood holders are still needed for administration of Sacrament, and no need for a microphone.

57 minutes ago, Durangout said:

So that we’re on the same page, would you care to elaborate on exactly what you mean here?

Okay, to my understanding receiving the priesthood is all about receiving the authority of God, and a person can receive the priesthood without personally being appointed to an office of the priesthood of God.  And a person can also "hold" the priesthood without being personally being appointed to an office in the priesthood. 

Let's take a look at the word receiving in a dictionary, such as https://www.dictionary.com/browse/receiving

verb (used with object), re·ceived, re·ceiv·ing.

to take into one's possession (something offered or delivered):to receive many gifts.
to have (something) bestowed, conferred, etc.:to receive an honorary degree.
to have delivered or brought to one:to receive a letter.
to get or be informed of:to receive instructions; to receive news.
to be burdened with; sustain:to receive a heavy load.
to hold, bear, or contain:The nut receives a bolt and a washer. The plaster receives the impression of the mold.
to take into the mind; apprehend mentally:to receive an idea.
to accept from another by hearing or listening:A priest received his confession.
to meet with; experience:to receive attention.
to suffer the injury of:He received a terrific blow on the forehead.
to be at home to (visitors):They received their neighbors on Sunday.
to greet or welcome (guests, visitors, etc.) upon arriving:They received us at the front door.
to admit (a person) to a place:The butler received him and asked him to wait in the drawing room.
to admit into an organization, membership, etc.:to receive someone into the group.
to accept as authoritative, valid, true, or approved:a principle universally received.
to react to in the manner specified:to receive a proposal with contempt; She received the job offer with joy.

Men and women, for example, can both receive the priesthood and hold the priesthood of God even if they are never personally appointed to an office of the priesthood of God.

So I was saying that it seems to me that many people do not understand what it means to receive the priesthood of God.  Maybe it's Church culture kind of a thing where it means something to some people that it doesn't mean to others.

1.  The church is bending to social pressures.

2.  The church is being dumbed down with programs like Come Follow Me.  Doctrine is barely taught anymore.

3.  The youth of the church have been sorely let down with this new youth program.  Is this really the best we could do?

1.  Equalize the cruel sealing policy that keeps polygamy alive.

2  Equalize  the cruel sealing policy  that targets women. 

3. Equalize the cruel sealing policy and then say “God will work it all out “  

and in general, we are now raising a generation of scripturally illiterate members with the new programs  

^This 1000%^

14 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Weighed, measured, and found wanting before it’s even started.

It was poorly thought out, poorly executed, no objective measurements of success, no accountability, requires local units to make up their own program to augment to it to get any value out if it, relies on the parents who weren't doing their jobs before to make it work, asks the greatest generational disaster of human beings to walk planet earth to lnow what’s best for themselves regarding their development, provides little to no resources for support, takes away resources from YM, over burdens  an already over burdened bishopric...I’m getting a head ache.  Can I stop now or shall I go on?

Edited by Durangout
12 minutes ago, Durangout said:

It was poorly thought out, poorly executed, no objective measurements of success, no accountability, requires local units to make up their own program to augment to it to get any value out if it, relies on the parents who weren't doing their jobs before to make it work, asks the greatest generational disaster of human beings to walk planet earth to lnow what’s best for themselves regarding their development, provides little to no resources for support, takes away resources from YM, over burdens  an already over burdened bishopric...I’m getting a head ache.  Can I stop now or shall I go on?

Sounds like your ax is sufficiently ground.  Maybe wait and see how things work.

2 hours ago, Durangout said:

I almost forgot:  Wendy Nelson has more influence over church policy than any member of the 12.

My Mom credits herself with getting a baby change table in her church building, she told me and I paraphrase "don't talk to the men, talk to their wives, they have influence!" it would be appear her wisdom exceeds her church building🧠

Edited by Duncan

Thank you all for your comments.

If I'm honest most of my concerns are on culture not doctrine, and frustration at not recieving callings no one in his/her right midn woudl want, and since I advocate sovereignty for Church HQ and Temples, as well as polygamy I'm not sure the researchers who convert my responses to numeric values will place them anywhere but in the outlier or perhaps out-right liar group.

As a nonbelieving Mormon with plenty of family who still believes, my concern is for their welfare and for how our relationships and lives are impacted by the church. I would like to see an organisation that is more open and accountable. I would like to see one that is concerned less with claiming to be "the one true church" and more concerned about being good, Christlike.

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

As a nonbelieving Mormon with plenty of family who still believes, my concern is for their welfare and for how our relationships and lives are impacted by the church. I would like to see an organisation that is more open and accountable. I would like to see one that is concerned less with claiming to be "the one true church" and more concerned about being good, Christlike.

Same! Too many family relationships are severed because of the church and what happens if you don't believe in it. Family that are in wholeheartedly might think, what's the use, the family that isn't all in are doomed or something, or they have doubt germs to be avoided. I see this over and over and over again on other boards or FB groups that are dealing with it. The church is suppose to be about families, but once that family isn't all in, it falls apart. Not all, but a lot. I see that the church is being more open about that, thank goodness, and that they see that there's a problem. And even talks about not disowning family that don't believe. But many family members aren't listening. And too often those that disbelieve can't be open and authentic, which can be a health problem. 

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

Christ addresses this issue a number of times in the NT, including the principle that following Him includes the need to “leave” family, which He invited/instructed His disciples to do on multiple occasions.

l’d invite you to ponder what He says regarding this topic, and why.