Seriously No Politics ×

How Does Your Ward Celebrate Halloween?

26 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Is Halloween a big draw with festive Trunk or Treats, or is it verboten because it's the "devil's night".   I've experienced both.

This Trunk or Treat idea is pretty fun. Anyone have any fun LDS themed costumes? Anyone dressing up as Sam Young or Kate Kelly?

Image may contain: tree, flower, plant, text and outdoor

This is a cute idea!!  When I was little we still had the MIA party or Ward Party....the adults were a hoot!!

I'm in a new ward now so no past traditions but we are doing a "Fall Festival" which consists of a chili/soup potluck dinner followed by a trunk or treat.

My past wards have often done a carnival for the primary kids with games hosted by the youth.  In addition to building ward unity and giving the youth an opportunity to serve, it has always been an easy way to invite neighbors and at least give them an opportunity to see the inside of one of our church buildings.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Our ward does a chili cookoff and trunk or treat. Most years the missionaries get to sample all the chilis and judge them. 

My ward did this last night. Men bring chili, ladies bring cinnamon rolls. They are judged and the winner in each category gets a small prize. Then we all eat. 

Trunk or treat happens afterward.

This is probably the most attended event of the year, with many nonmembers guests attending. Lotsa fun!

2 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Is Halloween a big draw with festive Trunk or Treats, or is it verboten because it's the "devil's night".   I've experienced both.

This Trunk or Treat idea is pretty fun. Anyone have any fun LDS themed costumes? Anyone dressing up as Sam Young or Kate Kelly?

EXjJ.gif

2 minutes ago, Rain said:

My husband would have a real problem with this. He would want to make the cinnamon rolls. He would likely do it and create some kind of art out of them. 

He once made rolls for something I was at. It was done on a big silver cookie pan. It was Santa Claus. Some of the rolls were shaped as the curls of his beard. Two as his cheeks and one as his nose and so on.  No one wanted to eat it because it looked so good. I finally had to take one so that others would and then they all talked about how good it was.

Today he is excitedly making jack-o-lanturn breadsticks, whatever those are, but I think the design is one he saw online somewhere.

I want to live next to you guys.

1 hour ago, provoman said:

Does not having a Ward party increase Oct 31 participation in the neighborhood?

I don't know, as I have nothing to compare it to.  But like most Utah neighborhoods, our neighborhood goes all out for halloween, and there are always plenty of trick or treating.  But our area is probably 40-50% nonmember so I don't know that a trunk or treat activity would change much.

1 hour ago, provoman said:

Does not having a Ward party increase Oct 31 participation in the neighborhood?

We never do our ward party on 31-Oct, it's usually the Tuesday or Wednesday before Halloween as a replacement for youth and primary activities that day (this year that happens to be the 30th).

My kids still go out into the neighborhood on Halloween night.  Although, we take the candy that they received at the trunk-or-treat, less what they've eaten, and put it back into the bowl to give out to the neighborhood kids.  (My kids never finish all their Halloween candy anyway.)

4 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

We have sacrament speakers exaggerate "problematic" historical themes.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

My husband would have a real problem with this. He would want to make the cinnamon rolls. He would likely do it and create some kind of art out of them. 

He once made rolls for something I was at. It was done on a big silver cookie pan. It was Santa Claus. Some of the rolls were shaped as the curls of his beard. Two as his cheeks and one as his nose and so on.  No one wanted to eat it because it looked so good. I finally had to take one so that others would and then they all talked about how good it was.

Today he is excitedly making jack-o-lanturn breadsticks, whatever those are, but I think the design is one he saw online somewhere.

I kinda think how we do it will change in the near future. Although the guys are supposed to be entering the chili, many of those were actually prepared by their wives.

My mom always brings a chili, not for judging. Everyone else seems to like really hot chili. She doesn't. I don't either. So we kinda bring our own.

8 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Image may contain: tree, flower, plant, text and outdoor

Oh my, you and I might live close. I have a FB friend that posted this that lives not too far. Or maybe it's just one that has been passed around.