Seriously No Politics ×

Modestly Level 11

My missionary daughter recently sent a picture of her at a baptism, and in the picture the sister missionaries are wearing coats and sweaters over their dresses (inside the building).  We asked if it was cold in the building (because it was still warm outside), because it looked kind of weird for them to be at a baptism with coats on, and we were told that all the sister missionaries have to wear sweaters or jackets whenever they are around Elders.  Because their missionary-approved dresses and shirts just aren't modest enough by themselves, so there needs to be another layer of protection.

If anyone wants to know what it looks like when the focus on "modesty" gets out of hand, this is it.

689728aec9f930e73479ed589f55d177-full.jp

Edited by cinepro

When you say Elders are you talking about old people who grew up with a more modest dress standard and just feel more comfortable around people who dress modestly by their own standards?

Or are you talking about young men who usually have high levels of testosterone and can easily get excited by seeing young women who are showing some skin?

13 minutes ago, cinepro said:

My missionary daughter recently sent a picture of her at a baptism, and in the picture the sister missionaries are wearing coats and sweaters over their dresses (inside the building).  We asked if it was cold in the building (because it was still warm outside), because it looked kind of weird for them to be at a baptism with coats on, and we were told that all the sister missionaries have to wear sweaters or jackets whenever they are around Elders.  Because their missionary-approved dresses and shirts just aren't modest enough by themselves, so there needs to be another layer of protection.

If anyone wants to know what it looks like when the focus on "modesty" gets out of hand, this is it.

This can't be real.  Tell me this is a joke.  Please.

Cinepro for starters I believe you to be honest.  Having said that my reaction to this is WHAT!!!!!  Oh well it is good you have stunned me, now I know what the brothers in Elders Quorum felt last week when I said it was inspired that President Nelson listed the Temple Recommend Questions in conference so that no one could tamper with them.  They all looked stunned.  I would ask where this Jacket and Sweater place is,  but support you in not saying.  Sometimes things can get really crazy!!!

This is Spinal Tap                                                                                                                           

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

44 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Where are the burkas? This is what happens when people add their two cents to church policies. Crazy town.

52 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Cinepro for starters I believe you to be honest.  Having said that my reaction to this is WHAT!!!!!  Oh well it is good you have stunned me, now I know what the brothers in Elders Quorum felt last week when I said it was inspired that President Nelson listed the Temple Recommend Questions in conference so that no one could tamper with them.  They all looked stunned.  I would ask where this Jacket and Sweater place is,  but support you in not saying.  Sometimes things can get really crazy!!!

I promise you this is for real. I couldn't make up something like this if I tried.

Who told them to wear the sweaters and jackets?  The mission president?  The other elders?  

I would definitely be saying something about this to someone depending on decided it.

Edited to add: I understand my son's mission president requires the sisters to wear suit type coats for meetings, but I got the impression that because it was required at meetings it was to be dressier.   

Edited by Rain

OP I hope you inquire of the MP what this policy is, and if your daughter is understanding it correctly, ask him by what authority he is making that call, and if inspired to do so, kick it up his chain of command.   It has always been a travesty when men make men's thoughts women's responsibility.   But this is a completely awful version.  (Can only hope it is a temporary thing intended to teach about obedience and obligation to get one's own confirmation and protection against bias.)

Edited by rpn

After much pondering I have concluded that the sisters wanted to wear sweaters and they just needed some man to say they should wear one.  And that they looked good while they wore them.  The sisters are obviously happy wearing the sweaters.  Just look at their faces.

52 minutes ago, Rain said:

Edited to add: I understand my son's mission president requires the sisters to wear suit type coats for meetings, but I got the impression that because it was meeting it was to be dressier.   

I just went and did a google image search for pics of the general RS/YW/primary presidencies to "prove" that wearing suit type coats wasn't necessary... turns out I was wrong:  they all wear suit coats or (what I'm gonna call) lapel-type sweaters in their official presidency photos.

So, I guess that is a thing in the church but if that's going to be the requirement, it should be in the information that the church sends with sisters' mission calls (and perhaps it is).

ETA:  The sisters also seem to wear suit coats in their general conference addresses.  Clearly, I haven't been paying attention to their clothing choices... not an important thing to me.

Edited by rockpond

I feel so sad.

Clothing is shelter (related to the weather).

Clothing is art and expression (fun).

Clothing is communication (such as a uniform).

Clothing should never take place of our own inner maturity and integrity, and indeed, never can. The level of one's clothing cannot denote virtue or the lack thereof.

The women's comfort (i.e. too hot in the building?) and the shelter need of clothing (which includes wearing LESS clothing if the weather calls for it) is coming in a far second to the value of? No value. She has to think about how she looks instead of how she feels. She has to think about how dangerous her body is to others, instead of the joy of her body for herself and others.

In an age where we are now able to be more open about what we are physically attracted to, a good percentage of the missionaries are not attracted to the sisters anyway. What should the Elders wear to "protect" themselves from the sight/thoughts of other Elders (not form fitting slacks and shirts, for sure!)?

It's okay to enjoy the sight of another's body. It's foolish not to; bodies ARE beautiful. Any energies that are ignited ought to bring joy. We are capable of respect in thought, feeling, word, and deed.

12 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I just went and did a google image search for pics of the general RS/YW/primary presidencies to "prove" that wearing suit type coats wasn't necessary... turns out I was wrong:  they all wear suit coats or (what I'm gonna call) lapel-type sweaters in their official presidency photos.

So, I guess that is a thing in the church but if that's going to be the requirement, it should be in the information that the church sends with sisters' mission calls (and perhaps it is).

ETA:  The sisters also seem to wear suit coats in their general conference addresses.  Clearly, I haven't been paying attention to their clothing choices... not an important thing to me.

I actually feel upset about this for a different reason. This came to me this conference. They are all wearing suits.

I know it is to put out a professional/reverent? image. But I really don't understand how the only way we can be reverent is in a dress code. That very little of who the women (and men) are comes through. Power color ties and suits. Is this what we are asking of our leaders? That we need to see it look like this to know we are being led properly? I don't even know what I'm saying, I'm trying to articulate what I find sad about it, but I don't think I hit the nugget yet.

5 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

That we need to see it look like this to know we are being led properly?

I think much of it is to convey confidence, authority, and reverence.  But the very little variation there when there can be even in such clothing leads me to think they are also trying to convey unity with uniformity.  And not imposing one's personality may also lead to more focus on the message.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

When you say Elders are you talking about old people who grew up with a more modest dress standard and just feel more comfortable around people who dress modestly by their own standards?

Any generation offended their Parents generation of modesty.

Or are you talking about young men who usually have high levels of testosterone and can easily get excited by seeing young women who are showing some skin?

This is no basis to force a standard on a female. Elders are out everyday among the people, to include females that do not adhere to modesty standards as define by the Church.

If Church dictated missionary modesty standards are not modest, then the Church would change the standard and not some random mission.

Edited by provoman