Seriously No Politics ×

The Bible and Homosexuality

10 hours ago, aussieguy55 said:

I don't accept the historicity of  the Pentateuch  (Finkelstein Dever & Peter Enns). so this just some intellectual fun I have with fundamentalist Christians who attack LGBTT rights and sometimes get caught in a gay bar. 

Do you accept the whole of Jewish mores carried through to modern times through the centuries--not written, but living history--as a fair basis for religious and spiritual belief and practice, a springboard for some intellectual fun, or both?

I have been sharing this discussion with Dr Gnuse which he says in an email "What a fun site. I read through it quickly, but I will have to come back to it later. I sure wanted to jump in on the discussion about the flood, since I teach a course on the Bible and Creation and do a history of the Scientific Creationist movement in order to debunk it."  I hope he does eventually make an appearance.. Should be interesting. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:41 AM, InCognitus said:

"Paul isn't assuming"?  Do you think that Paul would not consider "natural use" to be related to procreation?

Not necessarily. Considering the environment he was in on his way back from his mission to the Mediterranean the evidence doesn't suggest so. Paul's lack of knowledge on human physiology would suggest otherwise as well.

• 2 months later...

Gnuse comments "What a fun debate. Two observations. You can never convince a true believer, who is a fundamentalist; you can only talk to the people that he or she is trying to convince of his ideas. Note the person who says that Genesis 19 condemns  homosexuality appeals to passage that speak of Sodom's great wickedness, so he concludes that this must include sexuality and not just social injustice. But the text just simply does not say that, he wants the text to say that and so he reads it in. To him great wickedness means sexuality, and you will never convince him otherwise. But the text simply does not say what he wants it to say. He has read everything that I had to say and managed to dodge it."