Sign in to follow this  
Bill “Papa” Lee

The “Voice” that is always calling me home, a voice that is unmistakable.

Nothing like a sweet Southern voice to help one feel at peace.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

...................... I have my favorite speakers, and the sermons I enjoyed the most. But, since General Conference, is so fresh in our minds right now, I would like to ask many of you, what sermons do you enjoy the most, and why? ...........................

Toward the end of the last session of Conf, Elder Andersen noted as he rose to speak that everybody was thinking, "just one more speaker and then we will be able to hear from the Prophet."  Everyone laughed, but it is interesting how strongly we are pulled into whatever the Prophet is saying.  I gave him special attention, even though I liked a lot of other speakers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Each of use this forum in different ways, I often do so to ask the questions I have, or those of another. As I get older, as is the case with most, change can be difficult, or cause stress. Even when the change is favorable, it can still take a longer adjustment time for some, less for others. As a result, I fear that some may misunderstand me at times, believing that I am questioning my Faith, or that my testimony is somehow fading, or floundering. But, they would be incorrect, (at least in my case) when questioning things, and when done with prayer and study, it can and does increase Faith, and deepen all understanding. The danger, with almost any of the important topics of life, comes when all we do is question, and with issues of Faith, “lean unto our own understanding”, and this is often the “path of least resistance”, and leads us to be, “tossed to and fro by every wind and doctrine”. Thankfully, both my upbringing, and my age had taught me, to never let “wind” be my only guide, without first understanding the direction from which it comes. 

Each time I listen, and listen again, I am less concerned with the voice I hear, or the title of the speaker. Instead, I am listening for that “still small voice”, to see if it can be heard in my soul. Like all, I have my favorite speakers, those who can easily inspire, but not this alone. I remember a couple of years ago, while not giving my full attention, something wondrous happened. I heard a Sister Marriott speaking, in a gentle tone and with a sweet Southern voice, as if it were my Mother’s voice, were teaching me as she always did. But, what was more important is the “still small voice”, that is always calling me home. In this General Conference, I heard that voice in many speakers, calling me home. It does not matter, who the speaker is, but what he or she brings with them. Oh, and make no mistake about it, Brother Bill “Papa” Lee, is a true believer, and will always be one. I have my favorite speakers, and the sermons I enjoyed the most. But, since General Conference, is so fresh in our minds right now, I would like to ask many of you, what sermons do you enjoy the most, and why? 

Please, for any who respond, let us try to keep it positive, there are already enough debating policy and doctrine. 

Maybe it's just us, but my wife and I thought this last Conference was superior in many ways. maybe it's just us, but it seems the speakers have upped their game as well as the members.

"Honesty and keeping our word" seemed to be a common theme, as was "the plan of happiness."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Maybe it's just us, but my wife and I thought this last Conference was superior in many ways. maybe it's just us, but it seems the speakers have upped their game as well as the members.

"Honesty and keeping our word" seemed to be a common theme, as was "the plan of happiness."

Also more than one actual and metaphoral reference, to the “Covenant Path”, the “Path of Discipleship”, and making the “choice” to walk them.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, provoman said:

Nothing like a sweet Southern voice to help one feel at peace.

At least for an old Georgia boy like myself, born of generations dating back before the Revolutionary War. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And more mentions of the Second Coming than I have heard before.

8 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Each of use this forum in different ways, I often do so to ask the questions I have, or those of another. As I get older, as is the case with most, change can be difficult, or cause stress. Even when the change is favorable, it can still take a longer adjustment time for some, less for others. As a result, I fear that some may misunderstand me at times, believing that I am questioning my Faith, or that my testimony is somehow fading, or floundering. But, they would be incorrect, (at least in my case) when questioning things, and when done with prayer and study, it can and does increase Faith, and deepen all understanding. The danger, with almost any of the important topics of life, comes when all we do is question, and with issues of Faith, “lean unto our own understanding”, and this is often the “path of least resistance”, and leads us to be, “tossed to and fro by every wind and doctrine”. Thankfully, both my upbringing, and my age had taught me, to never let “wind” be my only guide, without first understanding the direction from which it comes. 

Each time I listen, and listen again, I am less concerned with the voice I hear, or the title of the speaker. Instead, I am listening for that “still small voice”, to see if it can be heard in my soul. Like all, I have my favorite speakers, those who can easily inspire, but not this alone. I remember a couple of years ago, while not giving my full attention, something wondrous happened. I heard a Sister Marriott speaking, in a gentle tone and with a sweet Southern voice, as if it were my Mother’s voice, were teaching me as she always did. But, what was more important is the “still small voice”, that is always calling me home. In this General Conference, I heard that voice in many speakers, calling me home. It does not matter, who the speaker is, but what he or she brings with them. Oh, and make no mistake about it, Brother Bill “Papa” Lee, is a true believer, and will always be one. I have my favorite speakers, and the sermons I enjoyed the most. But, since General Conference, is so fresh in our minds right now, I would like to ask many of you, what sermons do you enjoy the most, and why? 

Please, for any who respond, let us try to keep it positive, there are already enough debating policy and doctrine. 

When your time to finally go home to rest comes put in a good word for us when you get there. I know I need it.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 12:42 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Elder Eyring on holiness

I was bawling like a baby 

• Like 1