Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Is this weird? no High Councilors available for Church Court

So, my High Priest-not on the High Council brother got a call tonite from the Stake clerk and asked him if he's available on a specified night this week. There a church court and "it's an easy one" and their isn't enough High Councilors available so they are getting ? amount of non high councilors to fill in. I have never heard of this before, is it weird or normal? 

12 good men and true . As for normal ,Duncan,  where you are it is.... I think 😁

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Duncan said:

So, my High Priest-not on the High Council brother got a call tonite from the Stake clerk and asked him if he's available on a specified night this week. There a church court and "it's an easy one" and their isn't enough High Councilors available so they are getting ? amount of non high councilors to fill in. I have never heard of this before, is it weird or normal? 

Yes I have participated in a number of these disciplinary counsels where other bishops were brought in as substitutes as they are members of the stake high priests quorum they can help when other high councilors are not available.   Sadly no women allowed in high councils or high priests quorums yet.

I was the stake finance clerk and they once brought me in for a  church court so there would be enough. 

Normal. Every position except the bishop or stake president can be filled by any high priest. One of the few differences between high priests in callings that do not require it and elders left in terms of church administration. Definitely not something most would aspire to.

Perfectly normal. We sometimes don’t have twelve members on our high council, and even then, we seldom have all of them in town on the same night. Plus it’s good to have an alternate or two in case someone is called away last minute or if the subject of the council is opposed to someone’s being there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Normal, it happens a LOT.  People have different availability and it is completely policy to have ANY Melchizedek Priesthood holder substitute if the necessary 12 cannot all attend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

It is completely policy to have ANY Melchizedek Priesthood holder substitute if the necessary 12 cannot all attend.

It has to be an ordained high priest. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

It has to be an ordained high priest. 

Oops ok. At the time I wrote it I was thinking maybe I got it wrong. Thanks.

10 hours ago, blueglass said:

Sadly no women allowed in high councils or high priests quorums yet.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

When a disciplinary council takes plave at the stake level you have to have all twelve HC's  present.  If some are not available they can be filled with another High Priest.  This has been common as long as I can recall.

• Like 1

Also, it is a disciplinary council and not a church court. The name court was used back in the early days of the church when a similar procedure was used to adjudicate disputes between church members (for one that is famous think the cream strippings with President Marsh’s wife which was adjudicated that way).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

I once called once to fill in for a missing High Councilor, to serve on a Church Court, that was what they were called then. 

Different but not unprecedented.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, smac97 said:

And no men are "allowed" in the Relief Society Presidency, or the YW Presidency.

Meanwhile, 1 Corinthians 12 continues to be in play:

Thanks,

-Smac

1Cor 12 is one of my favorites.  Some doctrine in Corinthians is in play other teachings are not.

Edited by blueglass
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, Duncan said:

"Easy ones" would probably be re-instatements where the guy has done what the council believes was necessary to repent, and will now have whatever restrictions that were imposed.  Definitely the more joyous option

No tough questions no embarrassing answers, no soul-torturing decisions to make.

I hate those councils. 

8 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

"Easy ones" would probably be re-instatements where the guy has done what the council believes was necessary to repent, and will now have whatever restrictions that were imposed.  Definitely the more joyous option

No tough questions no embarrassing answers, no soul-torturing decisions to make.

I hate those councils. 

OR what they did was so heinous and diabolical that they just confess and then they are removed😈

Can you request a court be called for you?  

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Can you request a court be called for you?  

Disciplinary Council, sure, but why? Just get your name removed.

You won't be wasting 12+ people's time

Unless of course you think there is a reason to stay. That that is a whole different kettle of fish. Either way it starts with your Bishop.

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Disciplinary Council, sure, but why? Just get your name removed.

You won't be wasting 12+ people's time

Unless of course you think there is a reason to stay. That that is a whole different kettle of fish. Either way it starts with your Bishop.

I wouldn't seriously pursue it.  I'm happiest outside the Church for now.  Just curious if they'd ever treat someone as not wasting their time, and it'd be fun to experience for me.  I'd like to see it all unfold.  I was fascinated as a member to hear the notion that we'd leave the 99 for the one but rarely saw anyone take that concept seriously.  SOunds to me like you are confirming that here.  Those 12 don't have time to waste on the 1 who left.  It's as if they are on a train ride plowing forward and running down anyway who gets int heir way, as that sister from the last conference said.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

OR what they did was so heinous and diabolical that they just confess and then they are removed😈

Yeah but then you get to wonder how a member of the church could do that, and it somethings cannot be unseen or unheard. if it is as bad as you are saying.

No thanks.

I left the Catholic church because I no longer believed.  I don't know why people make such a big deal about leaving one faith and adopting another.  I went through a short period on Catholic boards that I am not now proud of at all, but thank God it only lasted about a year or so.  That was only about conversion really, and it was after I found the CoJCLDS.   So for me it was a missionary effort- but then I figured to leave it well enough alone

People find what they are looking for and I have no problem with that, because that is what I did myself.

Vote with your feet if you have to- but it's not really a big deal that one go back and harangue others.  That's pretty low imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I wouldn't seriously pursue it.  I'm happiest outside the Church for now.  Just curious if they'd ever treat someone as not wasting their time, and it'd be fun to experience for me.  I'd like to see it all unfold.  I was fascinated as a member to hear the notion that we'd leave the 99 for the one but rarely saw anyone take that concept seriously.  SOunds to me like you are confirming that here.  Those 12 don't have time to waste on the 1 who left.  It's as if they are on a train ride plowing forward and running down anyway who gets int heir way, as that sister from the last conference said.

I only said that about wasting time because I know you and how you feel about the church- and this comment confirms it.  So YES I WAS confirming your attitude which was then reflected back re-confirming the confirmation.!

It just seems manipulative to me, and passive aggressive, but the other side of it is, that you seem then to have been deeply hurt by the church.

Your bishop and SP and others will see you as a lost sheep if that is what you want because they are not jerks like I am.  ;)   And they will help you if that is what you really want!!

Right now quite frankly you are probably one name among many - perhaps hundreds if your ward is like ours- who they don't have time to visit, even if they would love to do so.

They are busy helping people who want to be helped.   If you WANT genuinely help, they will be there for you!!

But asking for a council for it's entertainment value seems awfully selfish to me.   

Only you can decide if there is a spark left or not

21 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

I only said that about wasting time because I know you and how you feel about the church- and this comment confirms it.  So YES I WAS confirming your attitude which was then reflected back re-confirming the confirmation.!

It just seems manipulative to me, and passive aggressive, but the other side of it is, that you seem then to have been deeply hurt by the church.

Your bishop and SP and others will see you as a lost sheep if that is what you want because they are not jerks like I am.  ;)   And they will help you if that is what you really want!!

Right now quite frankly you are probably one name among many - perhaps hundreds if your ward is like ours- who they don't have time to visit, even if they would love to do so.

They are busy helping people who want to be helped.   If you WANT genuinely help, they will be there for you!!

But asking for a council for it's entertainment value seems awfully selfish to me.   

Only you can decide if there is a spark left or not

Hah that's a funny take.  I mean I hear ya.  I wouldn't seriously pursue it because they don't have anything useful.  I mean if members here have goofy views and unconvincing ways to address the important topics the local ward and stake members have even goofier views and are even less convincing when discussing important issues as it relates to faith and life.  Considering my history your suggestion of going to the Bishop and SP only comes off as silly--I somehow frustrated them as they went in and out of periods of condemning me.  But I can appreciate your effort to explain your previous comments.  

Over the years I'm thinking I might have visited more members of our ward than anyone else in it, as I was trying to do my callings.  So I have a pretty good grasp on who the ward puts on their radar as possible marks to get back into church.  they wouldn't have me on their list because they already know they simply can't answer basic questions.  I mean I don't mean to be harsh on them, because I care for them enough...but some of them already know me well enough.  And I know some of the high C dudes.  And yes, I'm sure they would think they are wasting their time with me.  and they likely would be.    😁

9 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

they wouldn't have me on their list because they already know they simply can't answer basic questions.  

I can't imagine any "basic questions" that may not have been answered already by some faithful saints who post on this board, but if you still have some you can always ask here.  Maybe in another thread if it would derail this thread.