Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on conference

1 hour ago, OGHoosier said:

I don't know how big Islamophobia is in the Church these days; anecdotally,  I've seen that many people from my mission and much of my extended family subscribe to that unfortunate ideology.

Hopefully the pictures and account of President Nelson with the Christchurch imams, delivered over the pulpit, will cause them to reconsider.

Yes, I love all these examples of interfaith. When I began my search regarding Islam many years ago now, it was in response to seeing the fear and condemnation of the people around me. So I directly asked God, "Is Muhammed, pbuh, your prophet?" The answer I have received from that time until now how has been spectacular. But the second thing I did after putting out the prayer was search on lds.org and there were actually a few different Ensign articles from the past that were explanatory and favorable (I was starting with zero info whatsoever, as I had never even heard of Islam or Muslim until I was in my 30s).

12 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Not sure if he intended it as a joke, per se, but I thought it was pretty funny.  So did my wife.

It's funny because here people are concerned that somehow exaltation will be uncomfortable because some condition that they have no hope of understanding while in mortality might occur in the Celestial Kingdom.  President Oaks' message was: "Trust in the Lord!"  To which I might add: "Stop worrying about things you have no hope of understanding!"  Do you not think that God will make things perfect for you?  And that you will understand perfectly at that time, and be at genuine peace about it?

We don't understand anything.  We think we have an inkling, but our inkling isn't even a glimmer.  One of the most brilliant physicists of all time, the late Stephen Hawking, was found just the other week to have been wrong about some aspect of quantum physics related to black holes, a subject to which he had devoted a lot of brainpower.  If Hawking made a mistake about quantum physics, as brilliant as he was, do you really think you or I can understand now what it will be like to stand in the central square of the Celestial Kingdom (if it has one) and know what God knows?  

You're perhaps thinking that as the second wife your standing will be as second-class or second fiddle.  If so, you're thinking on an earthly plane, not a heavenly one.  I say, please don't worry about it, because it will all be well.

My late wife once had a dream that she was going to have to share me with another woman in eternity.  I asked her if this bothered her, and she said that it did right now, at least a little bit, but that she felt like things would be so different in eternity that it wouldn't matter.  I was surprised, because she had a bit of a jealous streak.  It says to me that she was thinking on a heavenly plane at that time.  

I have a different but related problem.  My wife died a few years ago, and I found a new companion -- something I honestly didn't expect in my 'old age' (I was 65).  I am deeply in love with my new wife; truth be told I feel closer to her than I've ever felt to anyone else, ever.  But she is sealed to another man, who lived a righteous life and died in full communion with Christ.  In the eternities, I will have to give up my new wife, for we are married for Time Only.  Her late husband will have the privilege of being with her eternity, not I.  Does this bother me?  I'll be honest, and say "Yes, a little".  But I fully realize that I am in mortality, and my understanding is that of a mortal.  So I just "suck it up" and console myself with the fact that if I am counted worthy of the Celestial Kingdom none of this will bother me because my joy will be full, so full that these little zingers I feel in mortality will have dwindled to nothing.

I appreciate your response, and I can see that you also have legitimate concerns. I sometimes wonder if I will be hanging out with the ex in the next life, but I don’t spend time worrying about it, and I know I won’t be second fiddle.

I did feel like Elder Oaks and the audience were laughing at the expense of a sincere question from a concerned member, and that didn’t sit well with me, but I also know that these things happen and we are all doing the best we can. If I had to do public speaking all day, every day, I’m sure I would make many faux pas. I have moved on:)

1 hour ago, OGHoosier said:

I don't know how big Islamophobia is in the Church these days; anecdotally,  I've seen that many people from my mission and much of my extended family subscribe to that unfortunate ideology.

Hopefully the pictures and account of President Nelson with the Christchurch imams, delivered over the pulpit, will cause them to reconsider.

"Islamophobia" -- please define what you mean by this. 

5 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

"Islamophobia" -- please define what you mean by this. 

Islamophobia as I define it is an acerbic attitude regarding Muslims on basis of cultural/religious differences or out of an unjustly vitriolic reaction to the specter of Islamic terrorism.

I understand that "unjustly vitriolic" is definitely a subjective definition, but like Felix Frankfurter "I know it when I see it." There's a level where anger at Islam becomes off-putting and forecloses the possibility of constructive dialogue, and unfortunately those people that I know see very little redeeming in Islam. I would hope that that opinion changes.

The revised YM theme is great. I wish the YM had a theme, too. 

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

...I am deeply in love with my new wife; truth be told I feel closer to her than I've ever felt to anyone else, ever.  But she is sealed to another man, who lived a righteous life and died in full communion with Christ.  In the eternities, I will have to give up my new wife, for we are married for Time Only.  Her late husband will have the privilege of being with her eternity, not I.  Does this bother me?  I'll be honest, and say "Yes, a little".  But I fully realize that I am in mortality, and my understanding is that of a mortal.  So I just "suck it up" and console myself with the fact that if I am counted worthy of the Celestial Kingdom none of this will bother me because my joy will be full, so full that these little zingers I feel in mortality will have dwindled to nothing.

But, after you and your present wife have passed away you may be proxy sealed to each other by a family member. So who knows, maybe you and your present wife do have an eternal future together after all.

M.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I think the joke was over those who were worrying about the housing assignments in eternity.  Angels on the head of a pin kind of stuff.

The implications of the situation I believe is her wondering if she will be essentially a boarder. As second wife is she just along for the ride, doing whatever her husband and his first wife decide to do or are her opinions and desires given equal weight?

These types of feelings are easily identifiable when thinking about one's home.  One’s home is an extension of oneself, a big part of our chance for self expression in our environment, our refuge. Since men often aren’t interested in interior design, it is often an area of a woman’s life she has the most control over. 

If that is still hard to imagine why it matters to a woman to have her own defined space in eternity, perhaps thinking of it along the terms of someone else making your decisions about what you dress like or how you wear your hair for the rest of your existence. No individuality allowed. 

And this while watching those closest to you being able to do what you cannot. Even if you are fully trusting those who choose for you are loving and kind, I think many would still feel a loss from being able to self express. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

I wish I could like this. Maybe I don’t have enough posts, yet?

2 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I think you have to have 25 posts. 😊

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Perhaps the biggest practical change is that the Bishopric is now planning Youth Activities from camp outs to the weekly weekday evening activities

I thought the young men were to plan these themselves?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

I think you have to have 25 posts. 😊

Thank you! After this weekend I’m almost there:)

Posted (edited)

The Puns of Conference.

Elder Andersen with yet another pun! “An appealing subject......................fruit.”

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Calm said:

I thought the young men were to plan these themselves?

Remember “Shadow Leadership” from the 70s?

20 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

Four more to go. :)

4 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Remember “Shadow Leadership” from the 70s?

I was never in a leadership position in my YW’s classes so I have no clue what you are talking about. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

Fear of Islam.

Well, that's your definition.  Thank you for that, as it is how I understand it.  However, what is OGHoosier's definition?  (he has answered this above)

Too many people equate islamophobia with racism.  Which it isn't, because Islam is not a race.

Ancillary question, just for you: is it irrational to fear Islam?

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many more references to the Second Coming of the Lord than I remember for a long time. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

Fear of Islam.

I have heard of members being upset that any community aid from the Church is given to Muslims to feel at home, or even help in finding a place to worship. Often it is phrased as supporting the wrong team in the fight between Jews and Muslims.  Given that Jews and Muslims themselves often don’t think this way (that there is an inherent conflict between their communities), it is very sad for me to see. 

I will see if I can find a good link for research on the favorable outlook of Jews on Muslims in their communities in the US and the reverse.  I just read a piece on it the other day.  Iirc, Jews were the ones who rated Muslims the highest.

https://www.thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/441855-pollster-says-jewish-muslim-americans-have-positive-views-of%3famp

Edited by Calm

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Calm said:

I was never in a leadership position in my YW’s classes so I have no clue what you are talking about. 

Youth are responsible for creating their own activities and the adults leaders keep in the shadows. It was a program that was taught in the mid-70s and pops up now and then but not in those exact terms. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

30 minutes ago, Maureen said:

But, after you and your present wife have passed away you may be proxy sealed to each other by a family member. So who knows, maybe you and your present wife do have an eternal future together after all.

M.

That is certainly possible, since the present policy is to seal every woman to every husband she ever had.  But policy aside, how will the Holy Spirit of Promise judge the matter?  I strongly suspect that my rival for my wife's affections, her deceased husband, will be hers in eternity.  In all fairness, that is how it should go -- unless there are other factors not in my knowledge -- because he was a faithful husband and father.  Why should my johnny-come-lateness take precedence over that?  I told her at the start of our marriage that I would treat her as if I were her eternal husband -- even if I am not -- because she deserves it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Calm said:

Four more to go. :)

Now three, lol.

President Nelson—very exciting...call to Missouri in April?

my new FB status is "$38.50 that Joseph Smith is a speaker next General Conference" hashtag-whatdoyoumeanmemorable?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

my new FB status is "$38.50 that Joseph Smith is a speaker next General Conference" hashtag-whatdoyoumeanmemorable?

😳

General Priesthood in Jackson County?