Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on conference

1 hour ago, Jake Starkey said:

It's not troubling at all.  A guy who served his mission with whom I worked with twenty years ago told me his mission experiences.  I won't expose his name, so he can be said to not even exist or that he is a liar or whatever.  I won't ever allow character assassination.  Another rm on this thread confirmed that he had heard such stories.  Members from East Texas to western Florida in the Lower South told me similar stories.  imo, they rang true.

What is troubling that naysayers tried use the entire South when I said only the Lower South, and the membership of the South when I said only the rural lower South and that I had been told that very little leakage happened in the urban centers of the Lower South.  Careful reading is required to avoid false narratives in reply.

imo, I am quite content with what I had been told.  That others disagree, although they have no sources to disprove it except on supposed guy who says he did not believe it from his own experience, is fine by me.  That a number of posters agree that they don't believe it is fine by me.  But I will stick with what I have been told.

So you can't back any of it up.

You are asking us to believe an anonymous branch president in an anonymous branch at an anonymous building somewhere in the state of Missouri filled a font up with cement in response to a policy change that had nothing to do with baptisms. All because an anonymous person told you. You believed this anonymous person without asking logical questions like "What town was this in?" or" Why would he fill up a font with cement when the policy change didn't affect baptisms?" Or "Did you see it happen or are you just repeating something told to you" or any other question a sane person would ask when presented with something as obviously out of the ordinary as this.

Spreading unsubstantiated information is just as bad producing  it. 

How pathetic.

Edited by Danzo
  • Like 1

imo, I am quite content with what I had been told. It is backed up with the evidence, and the other rm, I was able to give.  There you go.  Opposing opinion is only opposing opinion.  Final conclusions will have to wait until more evidence appears.

11 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

To others, longevity is credibility

To others, longterm credibility is credibility.

There have been longterm posters I view as noncredible due to their misrepresenting sources and making claims without supporting them, among other things.

There are shortterm posters who are immediately credible in my view because they support with documentation their claims and important as well, quickly correct any error they make including overstatements without making a big thing about it.

The reason why Bernard is credible is not because he is a longtime poster, but what he has posted over those years (consistent and backed up when he could)

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Present company excluded, of course. ;) I care about truth a great deal.

In my experience, CFR is more a civil way to separate wheat from chaff than to get a cyber fix. It is far better than name-calling and shouting to defend a point. Those who “post the most” have had more experiences with dubious claims, and there have been some whoppers over the years. 

It is also a great way to get more information if interested in the subject which is the main reason why I use it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danzo said:

If we had the name, it would be easier to verify. 

The fact you don't have a name, or date is very troubling. 

Filing a font with cement isn't something very easy to hide. 

I would like to know how he knows the alleged elder...I say alleged because if only through the internet and for just a few posts, it may not be an actual former missionary or even a member.

edit:  sees he provides the details, thank you...

Edited by Calm

4 hours ago, Danzo said:

You believed this anonymous person without asking logical questions like "What town was this in?" or" Why would he fill up a font with cement when the policy change didn't affect baptisms?" Or "Did you see it happen or are you just repeating something told to you"

Previously he stated this former missionary claimed he experienced it for himself, so the last question was answered.

Depending on the person, there are some I would question like this to see how credible and others I knew who had proven to be trustworthy.  Since Starkey says he knew him at work, that removes the internet troll possibility (unless Starkey is a troll, unlikely imo, but possible).  

I would have grilled him for details just out of curiosity though because I do that.  I love details.

Edited by Calm

Indeed.  Danzo, read the entire thread, please.  You and the doubters are no more entitled to an 'imma' than me.

Edited by Jake Starkey

See edit

36 minutes ago, Jake Starkey said:

Indeed.  Danzo, read the entire thread, please.  You and the doubters are no more entitled to an 'imma' than me.

40 minutes ago, Calm said:

Previously he stated this former missionary claimed he experienced it for himself, so the last question was answered.

Did the elder help mix the cement? Or just help pour.

You really have to know how someone obtained his knowledge before you can judge credibility.

3 hours ago, Danzo said:

Did the elder help mix the cement? Or just help pour.

You really have to know how someone obtained his knowledge before you can judge credibility.

I believe Starkey said the former missionary came to prepare the font and found it that way and called the mission president to see what to do.  How he knew it was the branch president wasn't reported, but I am assuming the bp was contacted by someone and he explained it was him....otoh, that might have been a guess based on the personality of the bp and other branch members.  

Edited by Calm

53 minutes ago, Jake Starkey said:

Indeed.  Danzo, read the entire thread, pleas

It is easy to miss posts due to how the board functions.  I never assume a poster has had a chance to see info that is only mentioned in one or a few posts clumped together if it appears they are unfamiliar with it.  Several spread out is harder to explain as board glitches (the new post functions doesn't show posts that have been posted while you are reading that page or posting as new, in my experience among other glitches).

Here is the post with details:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/72309-thoughts-on-conference/?do=findComment&comment=1209936832

Edited by Calm

4 hours ago, Jake Starkey said:

imo, I am quite content with what I had been told. It is backed up with the evidence, and the other rm, I was able to give.  There you go.  Opposing opinion is only opposing opinion.  Final conclusions will have to wait until more evidence appears.

Of course you believe it. You have demonstrated great credulity.

I just do think you should be spreading stories like that without some outside verification. It is highly irresponsible, and becomes gossip.

I Remember a man telling me about his visits with aliens. I'm pretty sure he believed what he was telling me.