Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on conference

It is also now been directed to refer to the auxiliaries as organizations and the people serving in their Presidencies as Ward Officers instead of auxiliary leaders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

You got a place I can look up / at the underline part?  I missed watching this afternoon.  

The church newsroom has some quotes right now on the changes. Look there. 

Oh boy, this one is going to cause some controversy. Go President Oaks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I'm so tired of him going over and over this. It causes harm, can he not see that? Amongst the LGBT  and Q, crowd! He needs to let it go. let it go. let it go. Our local news put out this spot. https://www.abc4.com/news/religion/comments-made-by-elder-oaks-concern-transgender-community-ahead-of-general-conference/ Too bad it is lost on him.

I guess it's sooooooo difficult to love our neighbors sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm so tired of him going over and over this. It causes harm, can he not see that? Amongst the LGBT  and Q, crowd! He needs to let it go. let it go. let it go. Our local news put out this spot. https://www.abc4.com/news/religion/comments-made-by-elder-oaks-concern-transgender-community-ahead-of-general-conference/ Too bad it is lost on him.

I guess it's sooooooo difficult to love our neighbors sometimes. 

You aren’t listening...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteveO said:

You aren’t listening...

I was, I know he mentioned love them, but then he steps back and points how we must love God first by keeping His commandments. So it's like a backhanded compliment, IMO.

Just now, Tacenda said:

I was, I know he mentioned love them, but then he steps back and points how we must love God first by keeping His commandments. So it's like a backhanded compliment, IMO.

Do you disagree that we must love God first by keeping his commandments?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveO said:

Do you disagree that we must love God first by keeping his commandments?

No, but I think it's hurting the LGBTQ crowd, when he beats this dead horse, or live horse. We know what the church thinks on this. Now move on there are other worldly things that could be discussed. If you open the link that I shared, please read it. Then you might see why I am sick to hear this again. Those darling young women who sang right after, do you think one or two might be struggling with their identity? And how that must hurt. In my whole being I felt like I could feel through the TV screen a dead weight befall. 

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

If someone is annoyed that I find God superior to them in being worthy of my love and devotion I am not sure how I am the problem.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry I mentioned Pres. Oaks. I hope the thread moves along without the LGBTQ topic again. It's too disheartening. 

Hey, Pres. Nelson is mentioning some great things about women holding the PH in their own homes, even if there isn't a PH bearer in the home. I remember a day, where the Home Teacher or ? would need to go to their homes if there was something needed that the PH they hold could do, and the women, didn't hold it.

Edited by Tacenda

30 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

He drew the short straw. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Sorry I mentioned Pres. Oaks. I hope the thread moves along without the LGBTQ topic again. It's too disheartening. 

Hey, Pres. Nelson is mentioning some great things about women holding the PH in their own homes, even if there isn't a PH bearer in the home. I remember a day, where the Home Teacher or ? would need to go to their homes if there was something needed that the PH they hold could do, and the women, didn't hold it.

Such as anointing and sealing healing blessings. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

1 minute ago, Bernard Gui said:

Such as anointing and sealing healing blessings. 

I wonder if this will open the door to women giving blessings of healing.

8 New temples. Wow

The new Young Women theme is listed below in its entirety:

I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents, with a divine nature and eternal destiny.

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I strive to become like Him. I seek and act upon personal revelation and minister to others in His holy name.

I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places. 

As I strive to qualify for exaltation, I cherish the gift of repentance and seek to improve each day. With faith, I will strengthen my home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, and receive the ordinances and blessings of the holy temple.

“Notice the shift from ‘we’ to ‘I,’” Sister Cordon said. “These truths apply to you individually. You are a beloved daughter of Heavenly Parents. You are a covenant disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I invite you to study and ponder these words. I know as you do, you will gain a testimony of their truthfulness. Understanding these truths will change the way you face challenges. Knowing your identity and purpose will help you align your will with the Savior’s.”

From the Newsroom link

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

He drew the short straw. 

I don’t think so.  He’s kind of the reliable war horse when it comes to uncomfortable truths.

1 minute ago, Prof said:

8 New temples. Wow

Orem just got a temple...man, they must be crowded on weekends and nights around here. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Women's session was fantastic.  Sure glad I tuned in.

ETA: Hebrew hiqdîš “set apart, sanctify, make holy, consecrate” (Exodus 13:12, Leviticus 20:7-8,26, Deuteronomy 7:6, 1 Chronicles 23:13, Psalm 4:3).

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am not sure they appreciate you being endlessly offended on their behalf but you do you, I guess.

Oh, if only he could look at Pres. Henry B. Eyring's example and follow suit. 

4 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It is still that way in regards to ordinances and blessings and they do not hold the Priesthood but they carry it with them and it follows them through through their callings and covenants and especially their endowment and it is like it is with men: The ordinances give authority but only righteousness and obedience grant real power.

5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I wonder if this will open the door to women giving blessings of healing.

Maybe but I doubt that will happen again until the Priesthood is held by all which may or may not happen. I do not believe a formal Priesthood blessing is needed to exercise the spiritual gift to heal in any case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calm said:

The new Young Women theme is listed below in its entirety:

I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents, with a divine nature and eternal destiny.

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I strive to become like Him. I seek and act upon personal revelation and minister to others in His holy name.

I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places. 

As I strive to qualify for exaltation, I cherish the gift of repentance and seek to improve each day. With faith, I will strengthen my home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, and receive the ordinances and blessings of the holy temple.

“Notice the shift from ‘we’ to ‘I,’” Sister Cordon said. “These truths apply to you individually. You are a beloved daughter of Heavenly Parents. You are a covenant disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I invite you to study and ponder these words. I know as you do, you will gain a testimony of their truthfulness. Understanding these truths will change the way you face challenges. Knowing your identity and purpose will help you align your will with the Savior’s.”

From the Newsroom link

I am the YW President in my ward ( I think, lol) and I am excited about the changes and the new theme. Glad I took my vitamins!

Lot’s of temples in Africa lately...seems to be one included in every announcement. Work seems to be going very well there.  World Report today was very encouraging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Advisors already existed. It is not a transition. The Young Men's Presidency led the organization and the advisors taught the individual classes. Now the Bishopric basically is the Young Men's Presidency and can still have advisors. It makes sense to anyone familiar with the program and I am guessing the apostles figured anyone who needed to know would understand the program as is. I am not sure your ignorance is a good justification to insult the apostles for lack of clarity.

That's not how it's set up here, the YM Presidency did everything, there were no advisors-I learn what I live

• Like 1