Seriously No Politics ×

Thoughts on conference

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

It’s been too long since I’ve been asked the previous questions for me to recognize what has been changed. What are some people going to be mad about?

1 hour ago, JulieM said:

Ha.  You beat me to it!

I can’t see much change. (Maybe they combined some questions or just reworded them?)

56 minutes ago, rockpond said:

What makes you think that?

I am more than happy to be wrong. I'm not going to point out what I see as a potential problem, if it isn't for people. 

Note: I'll follow up with any additional discussion in the other thread. 

4 minutes ago, JAHS said:

If,according to President Nelson,  next year is going to be call the bicentennial of the church, what will they call it in 2030?

I think he is referring to the bicentennial of the first vision/restoration. 

Edited by bluebell
23 minutes ago, Danzo said:

I don't  think you answered the question. 

How big is the gulf between what you do and what you could be doing?

That was what you are asking of the church.

Well, fundwise, I can only do so much. But volunteering wise, lots.

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

Well, fundwise, I can only do so much. But volunteering wise, lots.

I suggest you and I both focus our efforts on closing that gap in our lives.  Those of us who are active in church can focus on closing the gap on what the church is doing vs what it could be doing.

I think it  is important to take satisfaction in one's own effort, while at the same time trying to do better.

I applaud all the work that you do. I also applaud the good work the church does. The church can do more. You can do more. I can do more. Just because we all can do more doesn't take away from the good work we already do.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Wasn't even mentioned here.  I haven't heard anything either.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46651242/hundreds-march-in-utah-rally-against-child-abuse

Some of the speakers included Jan Broberg, Matthew Sandusky, son of convicted serial child abuser Jerry Sandusky, who was an assistant football coach at Pennsylvania State University. And Tonya Brown, sister of Nicole Brown Simpson.

I'm glad this statement was listed in the article as well.

"I march today to protect every child in every church in every religion, in every institution that serves our children."

–Sam Young

11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46651242/hundreds-march-in-utah-rally-against-child-abuse

Some of the speakers included Jan Broberg, Matthew Sandusky, son of convicted serial child abuser Jerry Sandusky, who was an assistant football coach at Pennsylvania State University. And Tonya Brown, sister of Nicole Brown Simpson.

I'm glad this statement was listed in the article as well.

"I march today to protect every child in every church in every religion, in every institution that serves our children."

–Sam Young

So the rally (not protest) was held on Saturday (when Elder Holland wasn’t even speaking) and at the capitol (not temple square)?

2 hours ago, provoman said:

"Such a quest for faith and conviction is our quest in these Conferences. By joining with us today you will realize this search is a broadly shared endevor. look around you. Here on these grounds you see families, missionaries finding old companions, protestors shout from their favorite soap box...."

the crowd tried to silence the man, but he cried all the more... why not quote a little more?

...we can sence the man's distress, we can almost hear him shouting,  we smile at his refusal to be silent.....

People in distress outside who need help, and found nothing.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10/05/todays-historic-march-end/

No soap boxes.

spiritually insensitive people around him.

Edited by changed
51 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think he is referring to the bicentennial of the first vision/restoration. 

He did say "a bicentennial year". So he did not specify the organization of the church. I guess that will be another "a bicentennial year" . 

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So the rally (not protest) was held on Saturday (when Elder Holland wasn’t even speaking) and at the capitol (not temple square)?

Holland spoke Sat morning, it was a march, and yes, Holland's remarks coincided with the march.

The start of the talk is interesting - praising someone in the nt for crying out for help... and yet... those crying out for help outside GC were ignored.

Hypocrisy.

Edited by changed
28 minutes ago, changed said:

Holland spoke Sat morning, it was a march, and yes, Holland's remarks coincided with the march.

The start of the talk is interesting - praising someone in the nt for crying out for help... and yet... those crying out for help outside GC were ignored.

Hypocrisy.

I think Sam Young should feel good that the church has been implementing some of the changes he has been advocating for.  Some will see it as coincidence others will see it as leadership taking note of some of the valid points he has raised. 

31 minutes ago, JAHS said:

He did say "a bicentennial year". So he did not specify the organization of the church. I guess that will be another "a bicentennial year" . 

It is going to be an interesting year:  We’ll celebrate the 200th anniversary of the First Vision but it will also place all of the accounts of that event under additional scrutiny. 

37 minutes ago, changed said:

Hypocrisy.

You’re right, my mistake about the day.  But no, his talk was not hypocrisy.  I don’t think you’re able to see very clearly on this issue anymore. 

I sincerely hope you’ll be able to find peace in your life. I know you’ve been through a lot. 

8 minutes ago, rockpond said:

It is going to be an interesting year:  We’ll celebrate the 200th anniversary of the First Vision but it will also place all of the accounts of that event under additional scrutiny. 

Yes, they are for sure aware of the and I think it shows how confident the church leaders are about the fact that it did happen. 

10 minutes ago, rockpond said:

That will be interesting. They’ve attempted to address it with church essays, but the seem not to refer to them much. I’m sure they will attempt it again at next conference. It is explainable but I know a lot of people who were surprised by the information in the First Vision essays and then found Joseph’s polygamy essay just below it 

“A few months before her fifteenth birthday”

There are explanations and help, but it does shock and bother many people who are unaware of the details.

Next year is the perfect time to dig really deep into these issues in Coference, like seriously deep. I hope they do a good job supporting those who desire to keep the faith but have doubts and questions they desire to have answered. 

I liked President Nelson's report on humanitarian aid.  Would like to see this accompanied with a full financial report on where the funds are dispersed and the prospectus for the next year, 5year plan.

Attached is the official church financial report for 1936 (see pgs2-3), as well as the last publicly available report from 1959 (see pg92) on 1958 financials . 

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1936a/page/n3

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1959a/page/n93

Edited by blueglass
28 minutes ago, JAHS said:

What insensitive remarks?  All he did was list the protestors among a list of all the other people one sees during conference. They should be happy he acknowledged their presence.
Did I miss something else he said?

No, some people just want to be offended.

54 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

I don't think it's irrational. I fear some aspects of Islam. 

Judging from my son Bellicossimo’s experiences in Afghanistan, there are some things to fear from radicals and fundamentalists.

Edited by Bernard Gui
5 hours ago, JAHS said:

If,according to President Nelson,  next year is going to be call the bicentennial of the church, what will they call it in 2030?

Not the bicentennial of the Church, the bicentennial of the Restoration, which began 10 years before the organization of the Church, a beginning marked by the First Vision. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

No one caught Elder Bednar’s pun? He compared the predatory behaviors of cheetahs as they hunt topis with Satan’s predations on unsuspecting human by quoting 2 Nephi 28:21....

And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.

Props to Sister Gui for catching this.